or Connect

Posts by foodpump

1) Boil yer spuds.  No Russets!!! Yukon gold or at the very least, reds. 2) Run them through a ricer 3) Cool down and keep on yer mise 4) per every 5-8 orders, heat up cream/milk/clarified butter dregs/spices in a non aluminum pot, add yer riced spuds, whisk to perfection over heat, serve.   Operative words are small batches made to order.  riced cooked spuds will keep on your mise for at least a day.   Mashed spuds are downright sh*tty to hold in a steam table, and...
Prior to 2010 I was totally against the red seal in B.C.   After 2010 I'm all for it   Why?   That's when the criteria changed.  No more 150 "mutipul chos" kweshtuns, but instead a real test, but more importantly a real practical exam with real time limits and real Chefs looking over your shoulder.   Heckuva change...     Basically a whole new test, and at least this time the emphasis is on cooking.  What a concept!       As well, the Province is phasing out...
Yeah, but  is that widipedia's description?  For most people, they don't know any other type of a dictionary, and an encyclopedia is as obsolete (and unknown)  as a dial-up phone.
Originally Posted by chefboyOG  Food pump you should challenge the test get it off your chest haha. Anyone know does pro cooking books have study guides?           I already have a B.C. red seal.  I did a three year cook's (NOT CHEF's) apprenticeship in '85--'88 in Switzerland.  When I came to B.C. I could get an red seal equivalency for it.   The Go2 website (B.C. only) will give plenty of information of what kind of books need to be studied. Whatever...
What's fake?   Look, read the ingredients.  Should only have 4, max 5 ingredients: Sugar, cocoa butter, milk powder, vanilla, soy lecithin.  If it's made in the U.S., East Europe, or Asia, run away from it as fast as you can.   So, yes, getting back to your question, I use it, for mainly two reasons.  First is colour contrast, I think I've got a few picture tutorials on this site showing how I make novelty figures and such, sure comes in handy.  The second reason is...
I one worked in a very large club (5 f&b outlets, over 8,000 members) that had "muzak" piped in--everywhere, including employees changerooms, the kitchens, and common areas.  What can I say?  Two employees were fired for "defacing property" (crawling up into the ceiling and unhooking the speakers), about a dozen of us quit after about 6 mths .  I have to add that there were only 3 cd's playing 24 hrs a day.   Music is a very personal thing.  I can listen to classic,...
What Pan and Chefwriter said... and what you said about landlords...   1) You can only negotiate before you sign anything. If you are able to walk away from any deposits or lease obligations now, you might have some "wriggle room".   2) What you said about landlords. Yes they are greedy s.o.b.'s, yes they will cut your throat if you let them. Now I want you to have some empathy for them--NOT sympathy.  They (LL's) are running a business too, and they have mortgages and...
Huh? Who said anything about not cooking? If you gotta train the staff not to jam a stinky rag under a cutting board, then that's what you gotta do.  If you gotta train the dishwasher how to scrape plates before putting them in the d/washer, then that's what you gotta do. If you have to train the line cook not to put raw wings into the deep fryer with the fresh oil in it, then that's what you gotta do. If it is your kitchen do you do this, or do you let someone else train...
Re:  This whole cloth under the cutting board, um..."situation"   What I donb't understand is why you guys haven't figured out that two moist paper towels or cocktail napkins will do the trick better than a cloth.   I figured that one out at age 17 , when, as a prep-cook I wasn't allowed any bar-wipes (only for cooks!) and was given a nylon cutting board with a serious cup in it, and a warped s/steel prep table with a serious buckle in it.   I got a million stories...
  Nope.  Like countless others, I started off by washing dishes, then doing prep--all while still going to high school.  THEN  I went to culinary school while I had a p/t prep job on the weekends. No time to be scared, or to even contemplate about things, I was constantly IN the kitchen......