Posts by foodpump

Hi chocomaniallc, First, a secret of business: Friends and family love your truffles because they are free. When they have to pay, most of them will choose drugstore/supermarket chocolates. Second secret of business: If you want to actually make money, you have to do wholesale. If you do wholesale, most merchants demand 1) inspected premises, and 2) bar codes on your packaging.. So, either you jump in off the deep end and invest serious money for a real kitchen,...
Thats a big batch.... A steam kettle would work great--bring the cream to a boil, add in chunked couverture, wait a few minutes, then stir smooth...
1) when they waltz through the kitchen like they own it 2) when they are totally oblivious to rushes and high stress times beore or even during banquets 3) when they expect the chef or cooks to drop everything and listen to their schtick 4) when they try to push products that cheapen your menu and reputation
Its fat bloom. There was no chance for condensation to form due to the mold only being refrigerated for a short tim, AND that the couverture had no opportunity to be exposed to humidity while it was still cast in the form. You can also tell the difference by rubbing your fingers on the bloom.. Fat bloom feels greasy, while sugar bloom feels gritty on account of the recrystalised sugar.
I have, in the past, used marinades as a braising liquid. To make it perfectly clear, the purpose of a marinade is to impart flavour, nothing at all to do with "tenderizing" or brining. What was usually braised was meats like Saurbraten or Pffeffer: beef or game, in a roast or cubed for stew, marinated in wine, vegetables, and herbs and spices. After the meat was marinated, it was separated from the liquid and seared off. The vegetables( onions, celery, carrot) were...
Hi Krea, I did some research into Krea ch, and I am happy to report you have a wonderfuly designed and intelligent product. However, your product is a melter and holding device, not a tempering machine. That is to say the user must manually temper the couverture either with the seeding (Impfen) method, or with the classic tableing method. Your machine will hold at a very consistent temperature, but the couverture will go out of temper regardless within a few hours, or...
Short answer, no. Long answer is still no, but comes with an explanation. Cooking at home means you have no supevisor to ensure you are following standards, and no supervisor means no one for a potential employer to call up on for references. Cooking at home does not guarantee or otherwise imply that you can work well with others, and this is probably THE most important factor in an employers choice of new hires--working well with others. Hope this helps
A real live one, holding a bag of gold closely followed by a Sysco rep, with the Chef bringing up the rear. The leprechaun dangles this bag infront of me and tells me its the equivelent of 12yolks and 50% sugar. Just add 1liter (quart) of cream and your creme brulle is done! Look on his face was as if he just discovered a new way of making money. To be fair to leprechauns, this guy was well over 50, had raven black hair all spiked up in rough lengths and sporting the...
I remember one of the last weddings we did. We got the hall and were responsible for 100% of the food and bevies. Anyway, at the event the bride's granny shows up, goes straight to me, and shoves this clutch of shopping bags at me and walks away. Inside the bags are sliced char siew(roast pork) hacked up roast duck, and hacked up roast chicken--all courtesy of the local butcher i n chinatown. There were also several cockroaches in the bags too, my guess coming from...
Hi Vagabond, Just bring your basic knives. Hookedcook, I think I addressed your "b.s, 'em, cause they don't know the difference" schtick once before.... The o.p. will be working in a busy restaurant in a heavily populated area. If the chef or owners gets the slightest whiff of b.s., the cook in question gets the boot and a replacement is found on the same day or next. Understandably, you can't do this on a ship two days from the next port of call. But there is a...