Posts by foodpump

Yeah-butt.... "bollox the qualifications" I do have a problem with. I've talked with enough H.R. people who feel that qualifications are the only way to assess a potential hire. To use your words, this is utter "bollox", (the only way to properly assess is to watch the guy in his/her first shift or two) but the thing is, H.R. almost always has final say to the Chef's choice before you can be hired. It ain't fair, but it is very typical of most H.R. Depts, and the...
I'd like to discuss your first post, chefbrah, as you requested.   Michelin stars......meh.  Its taken for granted that the quality of the ingredients are the best.  Its taken for granted that the best, appropriate techniques (learned from experience) are used for each individual step for that particular dish.  Chef Ross makes a good point about ambiance, and of course the skills the wait staff possess.  In my humble opinion, the Michelin stars are just hair splitting,...
Thats not quite the context I was talking about.  If you are better than me, it will show, and nothing will stop you from becoming better than me.  No issues with that, I don't get jealous of people with more talent than me. However, if you imitate everything I've shown you, and work for someone else or yourself and under price me, or set up shop across the street from me,  then you are my competition, and I only have myself to blame for putting in so much effort to show...
Gas. Any day. Takes a lot less time to heat up.
Hi Danny T., Canada is a kinda large-ish country. In the east (Toronto, Montreal, etc.) there probably is square and stripe. In the west (Vancouver, Calgary, etc) there isn't. We do have moneris though. Most c. cards here in western Canada have phased out the swipe card for a few years now in favour of the "tap" card. The original poster stated he was a small restaurant in the greater Toronto area. We have to assume his average guest cheque is under $50, and...
If you do a lot of baking, you'd want one l large oven instead of two 1/2 size ones-regardless of combi or not. Firstly you get more product on one 18 x26" pan than you do on two 18" x12" pans, secondly you spend considerably less time putting on and taking off product on the larger pans compared to half pans (this adds up fast), thirdly you will need double the amount of half size pans than full ones, and fourthly, you loose the capacity to bake full size sponge or...
Please don't take this the wrong way, but... I would suggest working for a commercial bakery for a few months, even better several bakeries. Ther, you can use all kinds of commercial equipment and decide what you like and don't like. You will also pay attention to what the health dept. demands in terms of sanitation--why you need separate handsinks, prep sinks, pot wash sinks, and pre rinse sinks, as well as mopsinks and grease traps. Once again, it is not my intent...
This recipie doesn't tolerate much water. Can you give us an example of the amounts of ingredients used?
Uhh, Danny T. No disrespect but things ARE very different here in Canada. What I said about Amex is true, indie retailers are offered the low, low rate of 3.8% , vs. 1.8 (if you shop around, thst is) to 2 -2.2% for Visa or M.C. Multi national retailers will get better rates with Amex, but only because they do most of their banking in the U. S. Cdn Banks WILL give you better c. card rates than the credit card co. s themselves, and city board of trade or business...
Keep in mind, combi ovens usually come in 1/2 size, the full size ovens are almost twice as expensive.  1/2 size works well for anything in hotel pans, and ideal for roasting meats.   If you bake a lot, you'll still need a baking oven, since you can only load a max of 5  1/2 sheet pans in a regular 1/2 size combi oven.  Also remember there are only 24 hrs in one one day, and only one combi oven.  If your oven is "busy" with steaming $20 worth of rice, you can't load in...