or Connect

Posts by foodpump

Yeah, I hear you, e-books may be great to compress storage space, but.....   But the downside is that current e-book technology will be obsolete in 10 years or less.   My parents were one of the first to record their wedding on Super -8 film. My brother recorded his wedding on VHS   Both technologies are obsolete now, all within 50 years or less.   In order to preserve the content of books, the old electronic technology of storing this information has to be...
I dunno, when I hear the word "electronic"  something in my brain shuts down and I treat any and all electronic items with suspicion and contempt.   "Electric" is a different story.  It's just an electric motor or heating element.  No delicate chips or motherboards to get fried, no upgrading software, no obsolete chips or motherboards, and not much to go wrong.   One exception to the above is an electronic scale, have them both at home and at work.  Perfect.   I use...
Hold the cheese in one hand and rub on the stationary microplane, same with lemons, oranges, ginger, and nutmeg.  For me, with a hunk of cheese in one hand, I have more weight and momentum going than with a feather-weight microplane
All in all, it's not a bad pastry kitchen, all the neccessary equipment is there, just needs a good bath and it's armpits shaved, that's all.   Sheetpans: Most metals--with the exception of pure gold and stainless steel will rust, tarnish, or oxidize.  Aluminum will oxidize, and that sticky black crud that ends up on your hands and on countertops and speed rack shelves is aluminum oxide.  There are a few ways to deal with this:   First is wash the sheet pans is plenty...
The only real tool in a Chef's /Owner's toolkit is this:   Be unique   Or, to put it another way,   If Johnny across the street sells apples, you want to sell oranges.   That way, you never have a price war, never have to fight each other for the same customer, and both Johnny and you can charge to enough to cover costs and make a profit.   Supplier's prices will always go up, that's normal.  There's just so much ( deleted) competition for the dining dollar that...
If you're asking why wages for cooks don't increase, the answer is simple:   Too much competition for the dining dollar.   That and the fact that there are no real standards for cooks, or what a cook should know, relate directly to what a cook should be paid.
I don't understand...   Are you saying that the work is done, and now you want a figure for your compensation?   If that's the case, you are s.o.l., you have negotiate a figure before you start your work, same as any other contractor the world over does, and has done for centuries now.
As an apprentice, we were never allowed to make Hollandaise until after a good stint in the pastry kitchen.  One of the big sellers for dessert was sabayon...   A good hollandaise is a sabayon with butter added.  Master the sabayon and you can dump butter in without it ever breaking,  I've done it in 30 qt Hobart bowls and dumped butter in, always holds, never breaks.   The "method" we were taught to make sabayon was to get a sauce pan full of boiling water.  In a...
Two foods that absorb flavours:   The first is fats--any kind of a fat.   The second is booze.  The higher proof it is, and the less of sugar or other stuff in there, the more flavour it will absorb and transmit to other ingredients within the dish.   but, on second though, just mail the bottle to me.....
I dunno, I just dunno...   Look, durban poison, I've got no beef with you, and I don't mean to single you out, nor is it my place to ream you out, but.....   Your post is a classic shining example of why it should be MANDATORY for Culinary Schools to only accept students with a minimum of 1 year experience PRIOR to taking the course.   O.K. yeah, so you don't like working the line, fair enough.  But don't think that other kitchens don't have their share of...