or Connect

Posts by foodpump

Scratches have no effect on the release of the mold--they (scratches) just show up as "scars" on the finished piece. Whats the matter with used molds? You're the one who washes them....
Bah!  A pox on Marfa Look, a stock is so named because it is easily converted--converted to sauce, a soup, a glaze or anything else.  Because of this it has no added salt.  M'kay? A broth is a finished product, ready to be consumed. That is , it has enough salt in it to make palatable, along with any other flavourings. Consomme is a stock that has been simmered with a "raft" of mirepoix, ground meat, and eggwhite.  Not only does this add flavor, but with the simmering, the...
There is no way to "improve" a mold to release chocolate better.  I've molded in expensive Euro molds, old fashioned tin plated molds, cheap china-town plastic molds, 2ltr pop bottles, even in balloons, and they all release well.  I find no difference in the shine from a $40 poly carbonate mold vs. a 2 ltr pop bottle.   What you must understand is that chocolate shrinks when it cools down.  It doesn't shrink much, maybe 1%-2%, but it does shrink.  This is why properly...
Yup. If you're going to do any work with chocolate, about the best book I can suggest/endorse is: "Chocolates and confections" by Peter Grewling   The book goes into great detail about chocolate, how it is properly tempered, the various methods of tempering, and the caveats with each method.  Then there are "mother" recipies for caramel, italian nougat, pate de fruit, various ganaches, and the knowledge needed to "convert" or tweak the recipies so you can call them...
One "shortcut" I remember was a practical joke played on a 1st yr apprentice.  This guy was always looking for an easy way to do things, and when it came time to clean out the fryer,  a cook appealed to  the apprentice's sense of smart.  He told him that fryer oil could be "cleared" just like consomme, just stir in a few eggwhites in the warm fryer and let it sit for a while.  Apprentice cranks up the heat, trots off to the patisserie, grabs a whole liter of eggwhites, and...
A thick ceramic bowl will insulate, but it also will retain heat--not a desirable quality when you need to cool down chocolate.  Best stick with a half-size  s/s  insert 4" deep-- more surface area when you are molding and dipping.
Usually, the induction ranges under $100.00 don't last very long, so you're not going to get very good value for your money.   Keeping choc. in the proper temp range needs a very special thermostat for that equipment, and most commercial thermostats aren't very accurate at temps below 150 C (70-ish F)    But there is a piece of equipment you can purchase locally to keep your choc. in this range, and it's fairly cheap too.  It's at your drugstore or local Mal*Wart--an...
That is indeed what I said, but tats on your hands, face, etc are not under your work clothes. See, a tattoo has one, and only one purpose: To attract attention. You can argue and fight this all you want, but in the end, a tat is just there to attract attention. As an employer I am held responsible for my employees.  An employee hasn't had a shower for 3 days and smells like a zoo, I am responsible, an employee has open wounds/sores on his hands, I am held responsible, and...
Whats under your work clothes is---whats under your work clothes. Dont worry about that. Now, if you had a flame tatooed on your upper lip....
I dunno about all of this...   Like the OP I'm in my 8th year of my current biz (chocolates & pastries) and I've had my experiences with Yelp   First and foremost, the one question I always ask myself when anyone approaches me at work is:"How do they make their money?"   Yelp is a business, and all businesses need to make money.  Yelp makes theirs with advertising.   Now, I don't know if every city has it's own "Yelp", if they are franchises, or if they are managed...