or Connect

Posts by foodpump

Yeah, I 've ben in those restaurants. Sally" gets a whopping 3 hrs to prep her Caesar salad mise, "Bobby" gets 2 hrs and 3 re-tries for his bechemel sauce.  "Fred" screws up on his mashed pots and has to re-do again. and "Barney" has his text book propped open and tenderloin warming up as he cuts filets.   Is this typical for a modern restaurant? Would any of us last more than 1 day if we pulled that kind of cr*p at our jobs?
  That's because most European nations have an apprenticeship system, where, typically, the cooks's apprentice(15-16 yrs old) goes to work 4 days/week and one day in school for 3 years.  Upon completing the apprenticeship, the cook has 3 solid years of work experience behind him/her, a federal gov't generated credential, and no student loan.   This is a far cry from the N.American model where the culinary school graduate --assuming s/he had no experience prior to...
 My personal feeling is that (culinary)schools would be very, very, very different if they would follow one simple rule: -Don't accept students that don't have at least 1 year working experience in a food service enviroment This could be in any capacity--dishwasher, prep cook, what ever.
Hi Frank,   I understand you wanting to have a wood cutting board, and Boardsmith boards are well worth the money, probably the best quality out there.   I tend to think of them (wood boards) as supermodels... Yes they are highly desireable, BUT they require a lot of maintainance, care, and attention.   The biggest thing for me, as a professional cook, is sanitation.  A wood board obviously can't go in the dishwasher, so it must be wiped down/scraped down to remove...
I dunno....   I used to have a cheesy deli, place was always empty, but did I care? NOOOOOOOoooooo!   The year I sold that business and I had it for 9 years, I was doing almost $900,000./ yr in catering sales.  I actually closed the dining room in the last 6 mths and converted that to my sandwich station--we were doing almost 400 s/wiches a day then.   Now I run a chocolate and pastry place.  In our first year I relied almost 100%  on walk-in sales. In our 8th year...
Meh.... sooner or later "new school" will become "old school".   You gotta learn to crawl before you can walk.  You gotta learn how to make a cold emulsion (mayo) before you can go hog wild with some kind of new-school cold emulsion.   Pan sauces vs mother sauces? Ummm... what do you deglaze the pan with?   How do you make a glace de viande if you can make a jus?
meh... for what it's worth, I've been buying Lindt couverture--shipments of +100 kgs 5-6 times per year for the last 6 years with out a price increase.  Lindt pricing will go up in January, but I have a heads-up of 3 mths.   The cocoa tree is a very complex thing, a 700% increase is a dream.  Hershey's tried and failed, and just about bankrupted the country of Belize trying to increase yields.   With chocolate display pieces, I have a few "core beliefs". 1) A display...
One of the places I always turn to when trying to save money is with purchasing.  This is a choreographed balancing act:  Not too much, not too little, not too early, not too late.   And then there's the purveyors.....   My personal preference is to only use the "big boys" for standard stuff like fryer oil, fries, brand name condiments, and some drygoods.  I will always use small indie produce merchants for 90% of my produce--thier prices are waaaay better than the big...
Yup... Owner can't/won't let go.    Betcha anything that a week after you leave the 13 yr veteran will come back again.   Like you said, it's the owner's restaurant, he can do whatever he wants to.  And he will.
In that case, you've got some negotiating power, you're pulling your weight, but are hamstrung by lack of commitment on the owner's part.   Wednesday ought to be fun.....