or Connect

Posts by foodpump

If yu have a steam table, you keep your broth in there.  The temp will be below boiling point, but you just ladle out what you need into your pot on the stove, and it should come to a boil in a few seconds.
I've done just about everything in them, from poaching sausage (in perforated inserts),  to making scrambled eggs, Fr. toast, hash browns, and pancakes (it's basically a flattop with walls)  for buffets, to stocks, Fr. Onion soup (&*^--ing great to caramelize onions in), desserts (apple crumble),   but where they really shine is with stews, heavy soups, and poaching large items.   The seal is usually crappy, so you can't use it like a pressure cooker, but that's what you...
My advice is this: Get a job, any job, in a restaurant or commercial kitchen. If you like the work and understand the pay rates and social life that goes with it, stick with for a year and THEN sign up for school.
Beware anything with a grid, you are the one who pushes it through the grid, the machine just chops what comes through into cube lengths.   What I suggest is called a "tomato witch", it's what Mc d's and other high volume places use to slice tomatoes.  Basically its a series of serrated blades with a cradle that holds the tomato, and you push it through.  True, it only slices, but you just pick up the sliced tomato and turn it 90 degrees and push it through...
What Ross said...   Thermohauser makes a decent bag that is rubberized cloth, and I have seen entire silicone ones on the Lee Valley site (www.leevalley.com) but have never used them.   I much prefer the dispoable ones for one main, big, reason:  Sanitation.   How do you properly sanitize a hunk of rubberized cloth?   Yes, you can toss it in the dishwasher and it will kinda/sorta wash and sanitize it, but can you be sure?  And what about those seams?   The "old...
I dunno, I hate clogs, and I've been working in kitchens for more than 30 years now, and I aslo suffer from flat feet, as well as getting over a 5 year bout of plantar fascititis. What I find works best, is very stable, well made shoes, two pairs minimum, 3 or 4 at best. The shoe should be made from leather, not any man made materials, and it should offer good lateral support. To test this, grasp the shoe firmly with the left hand by the heel, and by the mid sole by the...
Walk in pros: -ability to have a remote compressor, giving you a much quitter, and cooler kitchen -Ability to roll in tray trolleys/bakers racks. -Ability to pile booze or whatever on a trolley and wheel the sucker in, then wheel the sucker out when needed -Ability to pull out shelving when dirty and clean it outside -Ability to store sheet pans and large Cambro tubs, as well as large pots or buckets of liquids Reach in Pros -Cheaper than walk insu
Stop right there and get yourself to a bakery equipment supplier NOT a general food equipment supplier.  A bakery equipment supplier will not use deck ovena and pizza oven interchangeably, because they know there is a big difference.   A food equipment supplier will first try to sell you a convection oven.  it's not that they don't know better, they just don't want to know any better.  Convections make great general workhorses, but are less than perfect if all you are...
Ive been using Victorinox in commercial kitckens for close to 35 years now. In my opinion its the best bang for your dollar, this is the knife to use for prep work.
Hold on there! A deck oven is not a pizza oven. Pizza ovens are designed to work at temps above 450F, and they are downright sh*tty for baking at temps lower than this. A good deck oven has separate controls for top and bottom heat, you can bake a quiche with a crispy bottom and just-done top, or a lemon meringue pie with golden top and cold bottom. Hope this helps