or Connect

Posts by foodpump

Naw, ceviche isn't "cooked", citrus acid turns proteins opaque, but no heat is involved, so by definition it is not cooked. Don't know what the culinary term is for the tchnique you asked is though.
Well.....If you believe everything you read on-line, then have I got an investment  opportunity for you!   Fun aside, Yes there are poorly run places, just as there are poor performing employees.  But "poorly run" is an opinion, not a fact.  Last month I fired a waiter for running off to the john every 20 minutes--with his cell-phone.  He argued like a lawyer possessed, but I pointed out to him that people have been relieving themselves without the help of a phone for...
Of course! My usual way is to lay paper towel or rags on the entire surface, saturate this with bleach, flip it over and do the same, then shove the whole mess in a garbage bag with a half cup of bleach for extra measure, over night. Probably the only way that I know of that gets stong smells (onions, garlic) or colours like beet juice out for good. Oh, and plain bleach, none of that scented stuff.....
l dunno. I've had great success running my nylon boards through a thickness planer, comes out baby-butt smooth.(well, that is if the planer knives aren't chipped...) Matter of fact, I've made a side income of sorts, getting employers nylon cutting boards and resurfacing them at $10 for large boards and 5 for the smaller ones on my Dads old Delta 12" thickness planer. Sushi chef have been known to take a clothes iron tontheir nylon cutting boards and "iron out" the...
Didn't like the response, huh?   But honestly--and I speak from 35-odd years in the pro kitchen, a qualification or benchmark for our trade is probably the best thing that can be done to " prevent or minimize issues that may exist".  
I remember my first job in Switzerland, tiny resort hotel near the Matterhorn.  Owner insisted on doing  all the work schedules himself.  First one he did I stared at for almost 10 minutes until I realized he had omitted "wednesday " from the whole week, I mean it ran: sun. mon, tue, thur, fri, sat, sun .   Ah.. memories.....
I think we need to put the whole thing into context: Cocoa powder is a by-product of cocoa butter The coco bean contains well over 52% cocoa butter. When chocolate is made, whole beans are nibbed, roasted, and crushed. This results in cocoa mass, also called cocoa liquor. This is very thick and stodgy. It needs to be thinned out, and what Rudolphe Lindt discovered back in the late 1870's was to add more cocoa butter to it. All modern chocolates and couvertures...
A-yup. Cooking in the U.S. really means that there are no qualifications, certifications, or benchmarks that define what a cook should know, be capable of preparing, and more importantly--but directly related, what a cook should be paid. What TV doesn't acknowledge is that the hospitality industry is one of the worst paid industries with minimal benefits. If you want to earn, you have to work, hard. 80hr weeks are not uncommon. High stress AND hard physical labour,...
Don't. If you know her through the restaurant, then you sell to her through the restaurant. Believe me, you don't want this kind of customer.
O.k. good questions.   Firstly the biggest cost (other than the van itself!) in a refrigerated van is the insulation of the cargo unit.  Walls, floor, and ceiling have to be insulated and then paneled over.  Most refrigeration units are powered by the truck's engine, and the hook up from the engine to the compressor unit is the second biggest cost.   So the big question for buying used is, is the van itself in good shape?  Engine not a gas guzzler? Not requiring major...