or Connect

Posts by foodpump

The point is, you have to acknowledge that meat just isn't meat. A steak has very little--if any connective tissue, and should have decent marbeling--thin wispy threads of fat interspaced in the meat.  This just begs to be grilled--much, much better results than "throwing it in an oven". A pot roast, or stewing beef, on the other hand, has a lot of connective tissue and very little marbeling.  This begs for long slow, moist cooking to break down the connective tissue and...
"Train" the new Chef??????????   I dunno, but every place I've been in, it's never happened.   If the Chef leaves "peacefully" (promotion, retirement, etc) he might give the new guy  quick 1 hr tour of the place and maybe the low 'n dirty on key staff/superiors, and then high-tail it outta there..   If the Chef is turfed out, the new guy is standing in the kitchen one bright and sunny morning, figuring out things for himself.   Makes me wonder about your H.R....
Thing is, with every elastic waist chef pants I've ever come across, there's always a drawstring.  You know, like on jogging/sweats.  This is pretty much standard in the garment industry, as elastics will fail over time (and repeated washings), and you need a back-up.    Why these pants  don't have this, is beyond me.  But then I had "Chef pants" with pockets so big that I could shove a 2ltr coke bottle in them with out anyone noticing, or pants with pockets so small...
Disagree. Before you can even master knife skills, you have to master...... (drum roll please...) .....Organisation!... Which is a very important skill that many don't seem to have Making an emulsion is a technique.  After you have learned the whys and hows,  you work on the skill of making one .  Then you apply this knowledge to any series of liquids you wish to emulisfy . Trussing a bird is another skill, and it just doesn't involve tying up the legs.  In "my time" 3rd...
A-yup.   A belt, suspenders, or both.  , Some cooks I know will thread a length of cling film through the two front belt loops and tie it up, kinda/sorta works.   Reminds me of the time I was working in  a large club in S'pore, kitchen had a gaggle of old ladies working the line.  Ladies would always laugh and bust a gut, screaming about "Foo's colour T.V."   I HAD to ask....   "Foo" referred to one of the male line cooks, who preferred to be called "Mr. Foo".  ...
Many western cuisines don't/won't acknowledge what the Indians (from India, that is) have known for centuries: Ghee doesn't require refrigeration and is shelf stable for a loooong time.....
What you need to know is that butter is only about 82% fat, the rest is water.  For this reason, whole butter is pretty lousy to saute with.
Peeling onions, cutting potatoes. Prep cooks split squash, cut watermelon, peel fruit (melons, pineapple, etc) Now, the cooks, thats a different story, and they usually have their own knives for fine cuts and meat prep. In other words, horses for courses. The Ikea knife isn't all that bad for the money: A rigid blade that doesn't flex or squirm (important when splitting or peeling squash), comfortable handles, and easy to sharpen. One caveat about any mnfctr. that...
Now look what you've done! He was just about to tell us that if we bought $200.00 worth of knives we would get the kitchen shears--worth $65.00 for free. Shee-it, I tell my d/washers and prep cooks to get their knives at Ikea, a whole lot better, and a whole lot cheaper. Then again Victorinox or Mac is a whole lot better and a whole lot cheaper than crudco.....