or Connect

Posts by foodpump

Both I and Canele already mentioned this.
  Try making a frame (like a picture frame) for the board to sit in.  The granite sits in this frame and is elevated about 1/4" from the counter top and can be taken out of the frame easily enough to clean or to reverse. Even though the granite is sealed, bacteria can still form on a smooth, waterproof surface (think of highly polished s/s medical equipment...) While this is a bonus compared to other cutting board materials, it is not an excuse to not sanitize the board...
I dunno about granite cutting boards.....   Now, mind you the following is just one personal opinion, but it's been formed by working in commercial kitchens for almost 35 years, and in 3 continents, and with dealing with all kinds of health inspectors.   1) Cutting boards should be cheap like borscht and plentifull.  It sure helps to have one dedicated for desserts, and one for garlic......   2)"  " should be made of a material softer than the material of the...
I don't quite follow... are you saying that you use a  knife directly on granite?  
Not really... When you really start to think about it, cooks--any cooks or food processors-- have the power to make a memorable meal, a mediocre one, or to poison, maim, or even kill someone.  Not to be taken lightly. I've never worked in a large factory setting, but have worked in senior's homes where the majority of the "guests" have weak or compromised immune systems. Those kitchens take hygiene very seriously, and for good reason.  But by far, the biggest impression...
A-yup, a lot of the Culinary school "Chains"* do this--suck em in and spit em out, and they(C. school chains) spend more effort and money with their recruiters then they do with their instructors. Its hard to flunk someone who just forked out 60 grand for the course--not good business sense.Which brings me back to my above post of getting culinary schools to comply with industry needs. But the problem is bigger than that. If their are no...
Thats not my point. If some jerk brings his dog into my store, someone else snaps a pic and complains, its me, the business owner who gets a Cdn $113.00 fine. * If animal hair is found in any of my food products, its me the business owner who will have hell to pay regardless to the source of animal hair. What Im saying is to be smart and avoid as many problems as you can. Uniforms is only one small thing, but easily doable. *If some (deleted) smokes in my shop or...
Pay special attention to mold spores and how easily they become airborne....
Look, I'm gonna be completely honest and lay all my cards on the table, O.K.?   About 5 years ago we got a puppy, a lab/chow cross.  Cuter than all heck, with very fine, black hair.   I o/o a small business, and I do my uniforms at home, O.K.?  Doesn't make sense for a uniform co. to do it since they are based on volume, and there's only me in the kitchen.  But I do wear a uniform in the kitchen- a clean one every day, and I change in washroom.   About 4 mths after...
You wouldn't be the kind of guy who... nah, forget it.  Well, no... I mean the kind of guy who um.... argues with a health inspector?  In my first post, I bragged that I could tell which customers had pets, and what colour their pets are, dwell on this for a moment.  And I don't take public transportation anymore since the day I leaned back in a seat and my shirt stuck, 'cause the last person who used the seat was  dumpster diver and that is where he parked his sticky,...