Posts by foodpump

Geez, I dunno...Who signs the paychecks so you have staff to supervise? Who pays the suppliers so you have ingredients to cook with? Who pays the overhead so you have a kitchen to cook and supervise in? Without the employer, what are you? Like I said before, No employer, no job. No job, no title Does this sound ridiculous? But your future is in your hands, not the owner's.
Eh...sorry, no.The title chef is given to you by the employer when they hire you to ensure that their kitchen runs smoothly and on budget. I've worked under great chefs, and really, really terrible ones, but they are still called chef. The mayor of my city is terrible, but still has the title mayor untill he gets the boot.No employer, no job, no job, no title. If you're jobless you can call yourself anything you like and no one cares (or knows...)
Hi tocookornot. . If its your objective to become a cook, then get yourself in a kitchen pronto. Get in as a dishwasher or prep guy. After two weeks ask yourself if you like kitchen life:the pace, the hours, the situations. Be honest with yourself. Every cook and Chef started off this way. If you like it, work another 6 mths before you plunk your money down for a commu ity college cooking program. If you follow this advice, you will be light years ahead of 90% of your...
The thing with mycro is that you have to get your couveture at a fairly precise temp in order for it to work.... Fastest and easiest method for me is the seeding method, and gave been doing this for well over 10 years now Out of your $200, spend 80 on Peter Grewling's "confections and chocolates" book, probaby THE best book to explain the tempering methods and the hows and whys.
"Service charge" applies only to servers, no? Hence the name?
Even the chocovision start at $400 us, so thats out. For $20 you can go to Mall*Wart or the like and get a cheapo electric heating blanket. Set your bowl, or better, a 1/2 insert on this with the lowest setting. Melt your couverture in the nuker and pour into the insert. Temper using the "seeding method". Should hold temper for 45-60 mins.
Whats your budget?
Ahhh... the original poster....advice.... I can only say what I would do. Before taking on a exec chef position, I would work a day or two in the kitchen. Call it a stage, call it what you want, I call it fact finding. Problems with staff should come out within this day or two. Then comes the negatiation with the owners befire taking on the job. Salary is only a small part of negotiating. Do I have the authority to fire if warranted? If not, what do you expect from...
Hi bloody mary, I dunno.... the pictures show a dishpit, yes there is stuff thst needs to be cleaned. Sink, wall, and floor appear to be fairly clean. I Don't see any issues here. In your posts you describe regular duties like putting inventory away, portioning product, etc. In other words, duties thst are typical and expected for your position--this is what you are being paid to do. I don't see any issues here either. What are your expectations of the owners?
Uh huh.... leave the fat on untill cold..... Look, two food groups absorb flavours readily, and they are fats and alcohols. If you leave fats or oils in the stock, they will pick up flavour, which means your stock has less flavour. It is good practice to constantly skim stocks ( once every 15 mins or so) to remove fats and any little clumps of scum. "Skimming stock into broth"??????? Did the foodnetwork think up of that phrase?