or Connect

Posts by foodpump

Hey, that sounds like my bank!  When I started my current biz (pastry & choc) I took my begging bowl to the bank, at the time 24 yrs experience in the hospitality industry, in 3 continents, and a European apprenticeship.  No deal.  We sold our catering business, paid off our house mortgage, bought the currentt business property and developed the business all with the proceeds of the sale of the catering business. We're in our 8th year now....
C2....   "What was your food cost and your labour cost at your last place of employment?"   Every other question is secondary to this one, every other question will originate from this question. Sounds simple, but you really have to dwell on this for a few weeks to truly appreciate it.
O.K. landlords......a whole different story.   First, take a look at businesses for sale and/or properties for lease.  DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT building a working restaurant from scratch right now.  Look at the properties, at the leases, and most importantly at the rent.  Remember, every business that is for sale either failed or isn't making enough money to cover expenses.  You have to figure out why.     Say I'm a landlord, and I have a 3,000 sq ft restaurant for...
Of course it is, but dining out is a luxury, not a necessity, while cooking for yourself is a necessity--a survival skill.   I don't want to discourage you, but I really think you need to work in a restaurant for at least a few years to understand the business.  It's not  all about cooking, or serving, or pleasing the customer--it's about making enough money to cover all of your costs.   Here's something you can do right now, it won't cost you a cent, nor will it take...
As someone who's been on this site since '05, the one piece of advice I can offer about "longetivity" is to pace yourself--never more than 5 posts a day.
Normally, I'd suggest using cooked rice (NOT Uncle Ben's perverted) as a flour-free thickener, but then again, rice is considered a starch--so would mashed potatoes.   However, you can use purees of vegetables like squash, peas, carrots, mushrooms, turnips, etc as a sorta/kinda thickener.  It won't "Bind" or "thicken" liquids, but if substituted for part of the overall liquid in the dish, it will be reasonably thick.  This method will work well in soups and stews, but...
Well budget is obviously the first and biggest one, but when is the second most important one, then comes location.
May I suggest doing what we --hospitality career professionals-- have all done before we managed a business?   Work in the industry.  Like all of us, start at the bottom bussing tables and/or washing dishes.  Keep a close eye on the owner/manager and watch how they deal with everyday situations and how they plan for the future.   In regards to your questions...   1) Managers and Head chefs and Maitre D's are all great, they are also supervisory positions.  This also...
Should be easy, what do your textbooks/course literature say?
Well of course they are!  Most of that-tum, uh..."stuff" is made from "mechanically deboned chicken". Now I won't spoil the surprise and tell you what or how that is made, I'll let you do the research on that.