or Connect

Posts by foodpump

Go by the expiry date on the cream you used.
As an owner, I'm standing in my kitchen 10-14 hrs a day.  Of course I developed flat feet in my first years, then I got really unlucky and developed plantar facsitis in both feet, and continued to bear with it for well over 5 years.   13 hrs is a long day, and the hardest part on your feet in standing in one spot--if you move around a lot, it isn't so bad, but standing on the spot really puts strain on your soles.   First things first, see a podiatrist, one of the...
Make that 13.....
My point is that this is the O.P.'s first post, he (o.p.) seems jaded that the Sous won't show him techniques (even though he's only been there for a month didn't say f/t or p/t), and that the o.p. won't elaborate on what kind of "stuff" is dropped on the floor , nor will he elaborate if he asked the Sous what he is doing.   In other words, I wouldn't believe everything described in the first post 100% without being there myself.  I also wouldn't tell the o.p. to cut and...
Hey young karl... Thats one heckuva statement you made there, based on what? Some kid who's "pretty sure" about lying on a resume because no one shows him anything?
The reason for docking is to ensure there are no air pockets. If air is trapped between the form and the dough, it will expand during baking, giving you huge bubbles and an un even surface. So yes, the hole has to go through the dough, but you want the holes as small as possible.
Uhhhh... What makes you think that the Chef/owner can't observe and think for himself?
My advice? Get a job in a bakery. See if you like it, baking at home, and production baking are very diferent. Look, your ultimate goal is to become a baker, right? School is a way of doing this, but school is not the ultimate goal. The last thing you want is to go through school, incur huge debts, and then find out you don't like production baking, and the lifestyle. So get a job in a bakery first, doesn't matter if you're washing pans and boxing cakes. Hope this...
What I do with frozen purees, frozen eggs and the like is to "soften" the whole package a bit at room temp for maybe half an hour, then saw it into pieces with a beater serrated knife, wrap up the pieces, and put the remaining chunks back into the freezer. With many of the frozen purees that have 10% sugar added, I just "soften" the package for a bit, then carve out chunks from the package, and pop the package back in the freezer.
Awright, anyone who thinks this cleaver is a toy,   HAS TO   trot down to your local Chinatown, and check out the hot food vendors   You know, those guys who take a roast duck or chicken off the meat hook behind the display window and chop it up into bite sized pieces (albeit with bone splinters...) in 23.045 seconds.  (What? you think they are going to take out the bones, they charge by weight...)  Or Char Siew, or roast baby pig-- bones and all,  and when they...