or Connect

Posts by foodpump

Huh? Who said anything about not cooking? If you gotta train the staff not to jam a stinky rag under a cutting board, then that's what you gotta do.  If you gotta train the dishwasher how to scrape plates before putting them in the d/washer, then that's what you gotta do. If you have to train the line cook not to put raw wings into the deep fryer with the fresh oil in it, then that's what you gotta do. If it is your kitchen do you do this, or do you let someone else train...
Re:  This whole cloth under the cutting board, um..."situation"   What I donb't understand is why you guys haven't figured out that two moist paper towels or cocktail napkins will do the trick better than a cloth.   I figured that one out at age 17 , when, as a prep-cook I wasn't allowed any bar-wipes (only for cooks!) and was given a nylon cutting board with a serious cup in it, and a warped s/steel prep table with a serious buckle in it.   I got a million stories...
  Nope.  Like countless others, I started off by washing dishes, then doing prep--all while still going to high school.  THEN  I went to culinary school while I had a p/t prep job on the weekends. No time to be scared, or to even contemplate about things, I was constantly IN the kitchen......
I don't know if you follow boxing, but boxers have an term called the "one-two", where you hit your opponent in one place, and then the opponent expecting a hit in another place, gets the same hit in the same spot---again.   Buy your g-f some cheap knives--good, but inexpensive.  Go to a cutlery supplier that supplies chain restaurants with rental knives.  Buy them there, they are butt-ugly but work well.  Because, you see, if you replace knives that got stolen with nice...
What's YOUR definition of a "professional  Chef"?
If you do your own laundry, they are very practical......
No links or book quotes.  But I do know from experience that the flavour degrades at around 150 C .  This why many classic and 5 star recipies call for vanilla beans in liquids (sauces, icecreams etc), but usually go for artificial vanilla in doughs that get baked.
Yeah, I know, I know...   But I'm not talking about apt. buildings, I'm talking about commercial kitchens.    If the Food cost goes above the rate set by the F n'B  or owner, the Chef goes, not the cook. Almost always the case with labour cost too.  'Course, if a cook was caught stealing which results in a higher food cost, the cook goes.   Don't take my word on this, and don't take wikipedias either.  Ask your owner/GM and Chefs from other places.  The Chef lives...
 Of course they do, but the Chef is one who takes the fall if the kitchen doesn't make money. Foodpump(no title, no esquire)