or Connect

Posts by foodpump

There's  three things about this post that concern me. The first is that it seems you equate profitability with cheating the customer.  This only works once.  Not a good plan if you want to stay in business for a few years.  A good chef can run a profitable kitchen without cheating for years and years.  It takes experience and expertise to keep your food and labour costs in line, but it is do-able The second is that you seem to equate the title Chef with only capable...
 You have a very refreshing opinion..... Of course its about profitability.  You don't make money, you don't stay in business, and your position of Chef is gone.  Life is pretty simple, eh?  How do you run a restaurant when you're out of business? But I have to assume from your comments you've never priced out canned/frozen convienience product vs. house made. Which is cheaper?  That you've never done payroll and wondered what would happen if everyone cashed their checks...
Aw geez, here we go again.... Look, a cook is judged by what they put on a plate. A chef is judged if his/her kitchen makes money. This is the ultimate acid test, real life. No one will hire someone to be in charge of their kitchen if this person can't run a profitible kitchen. Think about it, restaurants are businesses, and if a business can't make enough to stay in business, then they don't.(stay in business) So forget all this crap about when you become a chef, if...
Flax, aka linseed, has been around a loooong long time.  Linseed oil was/is used in the paint industry, as well as varnishes, and when mixed with ground up cork and compressed, gives us linoleum flooring.   The metallic driers used in blo (boiled linseed oil) tend to darken wood very quickly, so many furniture finishers tend to buy raw linseed oil, stick in in a crock pot, let it cook for a day, and use it. For furniture, it forms a film finish when can be reapplied very...
Yes, those are air bubbles. Next time line your pan with parchment/silicone paper, NOT wax paper. Do your pastry as per normal, then "dock" it by pricking it all over with the tines of a small fork. Hope this helps
There is one option bakers use. Its a nonStick coating they use on buntrays and bread pans. Its pretty cheap, but the reglazers won't do just one piece. Time to buddy up with a local bakery the next time they get their bread and cake pans reglazed.... Hope this helps
Some apples oxidize quicker than others.  What I've found out the hard way is that "cooking" apples like Braeburns,  and Galas oxidize very slowly, while Grannys and red delicious oxidize very quickly.   I hate the lemon juice, it works, but I hate it, especially the bottled stuff.  I understand your need to keep diced apples on the mise en place, but I hate the idea of keeping them in water as well.   So, then what?   Well, logically, what about storing them in...
  The rep now?  I did acknowledge that there are good reps out there.  Those are the ones who are good buddies with the company purchaser and know what they have for inventory in the warehouse that day.  The pickers have been uhh.... "informed" that the key accounts get what they ordered, even if they have to call the rep at 4 in the morning, or there will be holy h*ll to pay. If you ever chat up your driver, you know that most places get the drivers to load trucks before...
I dunnoo..... When I worked at the big hotels and clubs, the purchaser and/or Chef would deal with reps. So I never experienced a good rep. When I worked at the smaller places (read, smaller accounts) I got the usual crap. I am grateful though, I learned how to cheat, and how not to trust anything that was promised. This prepared me well for when I ran/run my own, albeit, small business. I also believe the reps DO have control over the quslity of produce that is...
[quote name="jake t buds" . 20 seconds of texting is a problem? Yeah. Ok.  [/quote] There is a problem, because its never 20 seconds, it always morphs into one more status update, one more of this or that. Like I mentioned in almost every post in this thread, the employee has breaks, never further than 2 hrs apart, and what you do on your break is your business. I've had this conversation many times with employees: If you have to get high every day before your shift,...