or Connect

Posts by foodpump

Use a lower quality "chocolate" like a Callebaut d8-11, something with around 45-50% cocoa content.  Once you freeze chocolate, the flavour doesn't really come through so there's no sense in using the good stuff for this purpose.  What people want is a thin coating they can "crunch" through.  If the coating is very thick, it isn't very fun to eat.   DO NOT USE "baking chips" or the like.  Remember,  if these things won't melt in a 1/4" thick cookie in a 350 F oven for 20...
When?When you are responsible for the food cost and labour cost of the kitchen.Thats when.O.K. Lets move along folks, thats all there is to this decidedly N.american age old question.
Most of the stuff used for dipping icecream is thinned with veg oil, same for frozen fruit. Using regular couverture for these items is not ideal, because if you introduce any water, or ice to couverture it will sieze up. You would also have a very thick coat of choc on your items--very high food cost. A crock pot will work, as will any container with a lid sitting on a heating blanket, like the kind you have at home. Add about one quarter high quality tasteless veg...
What flip-flop says....   The questions I get from customers  that really make the hair on the back of my neck stand up are:   Are you the owner?   How much rent do you pay?/How much money do you make?   What do you think about "X" down the road, does his stuff suck badly or what?   Like flip flop said, people want something to gossip about.  If someone can get a rise out of you, a statement that your stuff is superior, or that X down the road has rats doing the...
My choice (and my resulting rule in my kitchens) was um.. "greatly influenced" by an "experience" I had well over 25 years ago.   Back then, I was a buck 2nd yr apprentice.  I remember heaving a 12 ltr pot over the sink to drain freshly cooked pasta into a collander.  I slipped, and the pot spilled it's contents down my right side.   After recovering from the slip, my first action was to pull off my apron which was sopping wet with near-boiling water.  My pants were...
For me and most of my customers, cracks in cheesecake are just part of life.  I minimize the cracks with "plastic surgery", when the cakes are still warm, but not piping hot, I lay a sheet of cling film directly on the surface and gently press down with my hands.  You can "massage" the cracks, so they are not so open and gaping, there will still be a crack but not so noticeable.  You can remove the cling film then or after refrigeration.  This has to be done when the cakes...
The 300 mpc model.  This one will accept 4 shallow hotel pans.  If you load in hot food, it will keep food hot for well over 3 hrs.  If you load in cold food it will keep cold for 2 hours--and if you use the optional cold pack that slides in, it will keep cold for well over 5 hrs.   This is the ideal item to keep moist foods hot---stews, pot roasts, anything sauced, mashed potatoes, and the like.  It is downright terrible for any fried foods or anything you want to keep ...
Yup.   What you want is a reversible dough sheeter, a table top model is fine.  With this machine, you send the dough back and forth through two s/s rollers via two canvas belts.  You set the gap between these two rollers anywhere from 30 mm (1 1/2") to 1 mm (1/16").    You need to look at this machine in a bakery equipment supplier's store.  DO NOT go to a used food/restaurant equipment store! They will try to sell you a pizza dough roller that works by gravity feed. ...
I've been wearing custom orthotics for about 15 years now.   1) Yes, the orthotics will need about 2-3 weeks to "get used to"  You will also experience discomfort on your knees and possibly hips.  Remember, the orthotic supports your foot, and any slight change in your foot will affect other joints.   2) The best fitting orthotic is--and still is-- to make a plaster cast of your foot.  If measurements for your foot were made by walking over a pad or some other method,...
Both I and Canele already mentioned this.