or Connect

Posts by foodpump

1)  Make sure the dishpit has a stack of boxtops or pieces of cardboard handy.  Use these as disposable "squeegees" to muck out the congealed bacon fat from sheetpans, fat from roasting pans, gunk from hotel pans, or any other crud.  Any eejit will otherwise  aim the spray gun on a bacon fat covered sheetpan and hope it all washes down the drain--NOT   2) get a sheet pan and line it with bbq bricks.  Shove this in your standard p.o.s. convection oven, and bake ontop of...
I dunno about this....   I think we can all agree that Sodexo/Sysco food can be "stereotyped" as the quintessential vacuum tumbled chix brst @ 20% "protein" added content.   But if I was looking for a Sous, I' d be looking more for management skills.  Everybody would get training for me on how I want my food done, but I'd take it for granted that a Sous could jump in at any point of the game, could keep the kitchen running for 3-5 days while I'm gone, and could be...
Mmm, I had paragraphs in the above post, don't know where they went to...
Help? Please, please, pretty please take this piece of advice: Work in a commercial kitchen for at least 9 mths before you sign on the dotted line for any school. Yes, you will be washing dishes and prepping salad, mopping floors and straining fryers. But as Canelle said you had "0" experience before going into culinary school, and upon graduating, you still have "0" experience. This might not be the advice you are looking for, but it is the one piece of advice just...
The times, they have a'changed.  It "used to be" that the Chef of a hotel would stay in that position for years and years--as long as s/he kept their f & l costs in check-- and things were fairly stable.    Most kitchens now have a Chef who typically stays 12-18 mths, with the usual pattern being to push lower f & l costs on the chef, boot the guy out regardless if the figures are achieved, give the position to his junior without a pay raise or bennies, sweat him a bit,...
Oh yeah, this thread..... This one was started by a culinary school graduate that was a career changer. She insisted that she had "over 30 years" cooking experience, but had never worked in a commercial kitchen, ever, and insisted that cooking was the same as a waitressing job she did did 25 years prior. She would argue with anyone that told her different than what she wanted to hear. What arguements! Everything but cooking played a role Brings back memories, this...
Geez   Ross, wish I had your stamina.  After the third run-on-sentence I started scanning down for a paragraph break, and when I couldn't find any,  I just gave up.... 
Spot on with the reducing collar.   Get a 60 qt if you can with a reducing collar with matching bowl and hook for 40 qts.  Having two bowls is like having two mixers, and sometimes you wish you had 3 bowls...   Buy from a local bakery eqpt. supplier for two main reasons:   1) They will (or should) service what they sell.  Not really possible with internet sales     2) When your biz outgrows existing equipment they will/should give you a fair price on trade-in for...
Mmmm.... My experience tells me that if you want flexibility in a ganache, you add corn syrup or honey to it. Some of the places Ive worked at, we had a ganache that was poured on the cake, then frozen, then shipped to a ferry line. Two weeks in the box and the ganache still shone. If you add more fat than the emulsion can handle, (ganache is an emulsion) it will separate. In all my years, I ve never made a modeling chocolate with water in it, though
 Eh..no.  Fat is a solid when cold and is crystalline in structure and it will crack--remember couverture is well over 40% fat, in the form of cocoa butter.  Cream is 33-38% butterfat.  If you want flexibility, you need to add corn syrup or honey.  The cheaper glazes use gelatin or food gums to achieve this Eh...no.  Chocolate is not a crystalline structure.  Chocolate is a partial suspension of solids (cocoa solids, sugar) and fat (cocoa butter).  Chocolate can "hold"...