or Connect

Posts by foodpump

O.K., lets just assume for a minute that it isn't the machine's fault.   -What temperature are the cakes you want to drizzle? -What temperature is your area where you do this?  Any warm drafts?   White streaks almost always means that your couverture is too hot, at least by 2-3 degrees.  You can have perfectly tempered couverture and still get streaks, or chocs sticking in the mold because the couverture can't cool down in time.  Technical term for this is "latent...
I don't quite understand what exactly it is you're after.    A concentrate is a flavor concentrate, and usually contains no alcohol. A lot of the ice cream and mega-pastry have this stuff, usually in paste form.     "Pear Williams" is NOT a "Liquer" but an "eau di vie"  All eau de vies are a distilled fruit wine (Brandy=grape, calvados=apple, Kirsch=cherry, plum, etc.  These are usually above 40% alc. contain no sugar.  A liquer is usually under 25% alc, and contain a...
1)  Get yourself a copy of P. Grewling's "chocolates  and confections".  The book goes into great detail about various methods of tempering, but more importantly why.  Most libraries have this, I know Chapters does, around $80.00, but you can sneak-peek it in the store.   2) How do you do your test?  Best method is to take a strip of paper and dip it in, the thinner the chocolate layer, the better.  If it doesn't harden within 5 minutes, it's not in temper.  If you have...
Wait till ya see what I did with the robot coupe...
Yesterday, at 13:47 hrs...   (my partner) "Get in the kitchen, now!" (Me) Uh-oh.....   "Floor's all wet and slippery, Shelly almost slipped and fell with a load of dirty dishes.  Mop it Up!"   (me, taking in a whiff of kitchen air) "oh sh*t".... "Now what's the matter? Mop up that spill" "it's not that simple, this is gonna be expensive" "what's it now? "Grease trap sprung a leak" "How can you be so sure?" "Smell that?" "It stinks like a sewer hole, what...
I'm not familiar with webstaurant.  What kind of warranties do they have on thier refrigeration equipment?  Here's what you need to ask yourself when buying any equipment: Should equipment fail in the first 3 mths, 1) who repairs it? 2) how fast can it get repaired?, 3) who pays for the repairs? and 4) should the newly ordered equipment be damaged during transit, will you be compensated?   A local supplier within a 10 mile radius  who will honour the mnfctr's...
Vegas:   Those are some pretty good bragging rights--cleaning up the kitchen, bringing down food costs, training up staff, etc.    Before you get P.O.'d with the owners/mgmt., get a letter or recommendation or something to that effect from them.  Milk 'em. Then smile and nod and go.   Remember, most owners/upper mgmt. think of Chefs as dispensible--just an eejit with an ego, it's an easy job, anyone can do it--just grabthe next guiy in the kitchen, give 'em the title...
Europe is filled with ancient buildings that somehow have to make health code, I know, I worked in a few of them.   A fridge ( or freezer) that won't accept 18 x 26 sheet pans is pretty much as usefull as mammary glands on a stud bull.   So lets look at options...   1) Cheapest and easiest: If you have a window on the 2nd floor, you're in luck, you can hoist the thing up and through.   2) Mini-walk-ins.  All walk ins are made up of panels, usually 24" wide and 4"...
Like Jelly said, Pros get parchment in boxes of 1000 sheets that fit exactly in a 18 x 26 sheet pan.  HOWEVER, if a box ever splits open, or falls off a baker's rack, you have 999 sheets to pick up- all sliding all over the place...   Would it help to roll up the paper in the opposite "curl" to straighten it out?  That's what I do for wall paper and christmas wrap......
My major scar is on my right ankle, about 25 years now.  Not hot oil, caramel.  (deleted) napalm, and having hairy legs and ankles didn't do much for my comfort either.  The only good thing about that one was that the caramel was so hot, the doctor said there was no chance of infection.