or Connect

Posts by foodpump

All of this is good advice and should be taken or at least considered.  There is a way to bring up standards in a kitchen where you are not in charge, and I will explain in detail, but first...   If I understand correctly your Chef is not really interested in bringing up standards.  In other words s/he is comfortable.  Then it only follows that the owner or G.M. of the place is comfortable as well, or they'd be crawling up the Chef's posterior.  If you follow this...
  A lot of red flags in this post, where do I start? "Most of the recipe canbe learnt throughYoutube or on the web" Boulee-cheetIn order to learn, you have to understand the techniques, and You-tube/internet is onesided--you can't ask it questions.  You also have to master the recipie or technique, which means repetition--doing it over and over again. Just because I learned the techniques of a hockey wrist shot or a golf swing n Youtube doesn't mean I've mastered them,  I...
Mango,   You gotta remember that running a kitchen is a business, and in every business, every little thing counts.   If you stick around long enough, you will watch your "Chef" crap his pants when the owner asks him for an inventory, or to cost out a menu item. Everything is money: Cut a 8 oz steak at 81/2 oz and you loose money, big time.  Cut it 71/2 oz and you are cheating your customer, which will ultimately bite you in the butt.  Don't bother scaling out a recipe...
Meh...   Once you get a real job in a real kitchen and stand in front of a broiler or a 12-eye range for 8 hrs a day, you won't be thinking that black is such a hot colour for clothing in kitchens.   'Course, once you fork out 40 or 50 bucks each for a jacket, you'd like them to stay nice.  Black fades, especially after washing--multiple times, white never fades.    And you'll only try it once to bleach a stained black chef's jacket, I can guarantee you that.   The...
You can coagulate the blood by adding 40-50% alcohol to it, thickens it right up.
You also have to remember that many top notch places have a strong European influence--with either the Chef (the one who commands the brigade) or the owner having a continental European background.    And in continental Europe is is customary (or at least it was customary until very recently) to work split shifts.  This means a typical shift would be from 9 am to 2 pm, and from 5 pm to 9 pm, with other shifts staggering and overlapping, but still with a split in the...
Easily explained:   Two Cooks (ie, those who prepare food, not lead a kitchen brigade) Two salaries   One Cook One salary   That's why.
I have used them and buy them (they are cheap, and break down fast)--but only for certain things.   Because two blades are moving in opposite directions, the knife does not "grab", and because of this, you can cut some really delicate things with it, likes cakes, St Honere cakes, napolean slices and even crumbly biscotti logs into slices.  I haven't tried hot brisket or meats with it, but I think it would slice pretty good--albeit you can never slice thin with the...
Yeah, I hear you, e-books may be great to compress storage space, but.....   But the downside is that current e-book technology will be obsolete in 10 years or less.   My parents were one of the first to record their wedding on Super -8 film. My brother recorded his wedding on VHS   Both technologies are obsolete now, all within 50 years or less.   In order to preserve the content of books, the old electronic technology of storing this information has to be...
I dunno, when I hear the word "electronic"  something in my brain shuts down and I treat any and all electronic items with suspicion and contempt.   "Electric" is a different story.  It's just an electric motor or heating element.  No delicate chips or motherboards to get fried, no upgrading software, no obsolete chips or motherboards, and not much to go wrong.   One exception to the above is an electronic scale, have them both at home and at work.  Perfect.   I use...