Posts by foodpump

Hi Recky, As others have said , you NEED to start taking Visa #'s when parties book tables. Its cruel, its heartless, it sucks, and its totally neccesary and conducive to a well run business. If you miss your dentist's appointment, you pay a fine of what, 50euros? I learnt the same thing when doing birthday cakes. The first year I opened, I didn't ask gor a deposit, and almost 50% would order, but would never pick up, or "forget", and pick up days later and remark...
What else did the Hershey's label say? "Dark brown" is a dead give awsy for dutched cocoa, also known as alkalized or treated with alkalai cocoa.
Many timers go on a 20 min cycle every 8 hrs.  The reason for this is that the coil (that box inside the walk in) gets plugged up with ice.  Every time you open the door, warm air enters the box where  it invariably meets the coil.  warm air + cold air= condensation, + cold air= ice.  The more you open the door, and the warmer your ambient temp is outside the walk in, the more ice will form on your coil.  If the coil gets so plugged up with ice, it can't perform properly...
Running a kitchen is kinda like comparing a coach's job to the quarterback's:  It's a given that the coach HAS to know the game, and almost always the coach is an ex-player, but the job is not the same.   You will be judged by how well you manage your resources: Specifically that is your food, your labour, and lastly your equipment.  In that order.  If, by 3 mths your kitchen shows a loss on the books, you will be more than likely asked to leave.   This sounds cruel...
Hi Mike LM   Re Soap and water....Yes detergentes will remove mineral oil (Maple does not contain much--if any oil, matter of fact most woods don't except for a few exotics like teak or rosewood).  But you have to re-apply the mineral oil after washing.  This is quite a bit of maintainence.   If the wood board is being used as a bread board, you don't have to do much, except sweep the crumbs off.   If the wood board is being used solely for vegetables, a good rinse...
By the dozen.  Wholesale? Retail? Customer pick up?  Are you working in a restaurant or bqt facility? Factor in garnishes? Regular fondant glazed, or ganache, or chocolate glazed? Doillies and cupcake wrapper prices factored in?   Regular item (prep on hand) or special custom one-off?
Never used the Vollrath.  Like I said, half size are very small and you won't get muffin pans in there or anything wider than 13".   Glass front door fridges.....  Usually are gravity coil and made for canned/bottled beverages.  In a small hot kitchen the glass doors will sweat and fog, and get incredibly filthy--on the inside of the door.  If given a choice, opt for solid door, if not, the glass door will work, just looks like he77, thats all.
What are the ingredients listed on the can?
Next step--for equipment would be a 30 qt mixer.  Don't get a 20 qt, get a 30 qt or larger, you'll soon outgrow the 20 qt, and wish you had a 30 qt .  New ones are way out of your budget, but used ones from a reputable bakery eqpt. dealer are your best bet, and fairly easy to come by.  If "they" can't warranty for at least 3 mths, walk away.  DO NOT buy via internet, or you'll get no service and no warranty.  Restaurant dealers will have used 30 qt mixers too.   A dough...
Hi ChefRoss, After observing people people for 50-odd years (then again I are one too) you see patterns. Given choices between special events and daily corporate catering, the daily wins immediatly. Why? With a wedding, its a one time deal. Whoever hired you will only use you once, so there's no real incentive to treat you fairly. I know this sounds cruel, but it happens a lot. Now with daily, there is a relationship, and a good office manager will value a competant...