or Connect

Posts by foodpump

If you do your own laundry, they are very practical......
No links or book quotes.  But I do know from experience that the flavour degrades at around 150 C .  This why many classic and 5 star recipies call for vanilla beans in liquids (sauces, icecreams etc), but usually go for artificial vanilla in doughs that get baked.
Yeah, I know, I know...   But I'm not talking about apt. buildings, I'm talking about commercial kitchens.    If the Food cost goes above the rate set by the F n'B  or owner, the Chef goes, not the cook. Almost always the case with labour cost too.  'Course, if a cook was caught stealing which results in a higher food cost, the cook goes.   Don't take my word on this, and don't take wikipedias either.  Ask your owner/GM and Chefs from other places.  The Chef lives...
 Of course they do, but the Chef is one who takes the fall if the kitchen doesn't make money. Foodpump(no title, no esquire)
    O.K. let me explain it --again, and again, and again....  In the army you have your commanding officer, and you have your soldiers.  If either one is confused as to what their title is, and what their duties entail, they won't for long.  Mm-kay? A commercial kitchen is part of a business. A business's sole concern is to make money.  With me so far? So the cooks, cook.  The Chef sees to it that the kitchen makes money or at least covers it's costs. That is the Chef's...
nah, for me, 'chef' HasLook, this is the way it works:The Fed. Gov't has a dept. called the ITA (industry training authority) They provide credentials for ALL trades.  They don't generate the content for the tests or criteria for tests.  Each Province has a board for each respective trade and that board decides what the test should be, an what kind of questions should be on the tests, and what kind of value should be placed on different kinds of questions.  I sat on such a...
  As an owner?  Nothing much, just that it provides a future for the hospitality industry. Let me put it this way, I'm a big believer in the old saying " Look after the pennies and the dollars will look after themselves". The pennies are the entry level staff, and the dollars are the owners, the GM's the F'n B's, and yes, the Chefs. So say we got this kid, say in gr. 12, and he wants to become a Chef.  How? is the big question.  A zillion different answers.  Then the big...
Awright you Canucks, I understand your um..."reluctance" to consider the Red seal as a qualification.  I used to make fun of it too--200 multiple choice kweshtuns.    However, things have changed, dramatically.  Alberta was the first to introduce big time changes to the test, which includes live cooking and meaningful tests.  B.C. changed back in 2012 to more or less the same.  And here in B.C. the whole "challenging" b.s. is slowly being thrown out.  You can go to any...
 Well that's an easy one to explain, and a route that I took too.  One word explains it:  "Zeugniss" In Englisch that would be, "Employer's testimonial". They are worth something, especially from the top notch places.  You can't keep it up for more than a few years, not if you want some kind of a relationship with a partner and have most of your mental health intact.  But for a few years, yeah, it can be done 
Ahh google.... what a crock, but not as big or as smelly as Wikipedia.  So google figures the word (and verb) "Cook" should be replaced with "Chef".  Mmmm...  What then, is the google-endorsed word for the "the one who runs the kitchen, hires, fires, orders and most importantly keeps the food and labour costs in line"? Cheffy-chef"? Le grande Chef" Or using stah-bucks-speak, "Venti-Chef"?  Can we make limmericks with the word chef?  I never saw a cheffing chef who cheffed...