or Connect

Posts by foodpump

-Scum: Is dead protein.  The longer the bones have been sitting around, the more scum you will get.  Ideally you should be getting fresh as possible bones.  You can also wash off the bones in several rinses of cold water before starting your stock.  Also once you stock comes to it's first boil, lower down the temp to a bare simmer and most of the dead protein will coagulate into large clumps which you can ladle off quite easily.  After a few minutes the fat starts to come...
I never really "got" the concept of knife bags. Over the years I have been "gifted" with several knife rolls.  I used them once or twice and then got rid of them;   My observations regarding knife bags and rolls?   1) Kitchens have a lot of food in them.  Duh!  The knife roll invariably lays under or even on a prep table.  And, invariably, the roll gets stuff like coffee, meat stock, salad dressing, bread crumbs, and whatever else spilled on it.  Cleaning the roll is a...
I already flagged the post--which incidentally is shay235's very first post.
Some kind of a butter pat press?   Does the insides of both plates have some kind of decoration or carving?  If so perhaps some kind of a cookie press?
I didn't know Pete through PM's, but I knew him very well through his thousands of posts, and I can really respect his deep knowledge and advice on almost any food related subject.  Very sudden death, and I hope it wasn't too hard on his family--I know what it's like to keep a 24 hour, umm... Vigil, in a hospital ward.  I miss him already.
Boil 'em.   Stick them in a pot, fill with cold water, place a dinner plate on top, and boil the sucker.  After a good minute of hard boiling, repeat with fresh cold water.  Do the same with nylon or cotton/nylon pastry bags.   I hate the natural bristle brushes.  They smell like wet pig, because that's what they are, pig bristle brushes.  Not exactly a bonus point when working in Jewish, Muslim or vegetarian kitchens.  And they shed hair.
Get er' done, it's a credential, and one that many CDN employers recognize--not hospitals and prisons, but hotels and big chains like Earls and Cactus Club.   Europe is a different story.  They don't really have culinary schools, they have apprenticeships, usually for 3 or 4 years.  You will find a huge difference in continental Europe between apprenticed cooks and non- apprenticed cooks--the apprenticed ones get higher pay.     I'm in Vancouver too, you can pm me if...
I don't think the owner is being unrealistic, sounds like he knows his customers pretty well, and is in no way chatting up the Sysco rep.   Frankly, I think the Chef is being stupid.  Numbers don't lie, the place isn't making money, and it is part of the Chef's job to ensure that the kitchen is pulling it's own weight.  So we know what the Chef won't do, but will she do to keep the kitchen afloat?  Has she made any suggestions or done some wacky daily specials to see...
Fats absorb flavours.   Anyone who has stored unwrapped/poorly wrapped butter next to onions, or garlic, or curry, or heavily smoked foods, know that the butter will taste like that, and very quickly too.   You can avoid this, or use it to your advantage.  A lot of Chefs will store truffles in a mason jar with butter, or even eggs, to get some flavor.  When I make fruitcake, I like to blend my butter with aromatics a day ahead of time to boost the flavor, then make the...