or Connect

Posts by foodpump

I think, personally, if a cookbook gives ingredients in only volume measurents, it' s not worth buying. A good book will have measurements in metric weight and perhaps imperial weight, like the books from C.I.A. For Chefs, and especially bakers, Imperial measuments are as stupid as fried cardboard: 1) half and quarter ounces are not very accurate, espcially with spices or leaveners 2)multiplying or halving a recipie is much more difficult But the most important reason...
I dunno.... Problem diagnosed, yes absolutely. But problem solved? Who do you report to? How do you cover your butt? Mr. Glacier you are in a "situation". If you report you suspicions AND findings to head office, how long before they take action?
All hypothesis aside, who would eat a greasy, limp fry cooked in 100c oil? Who would actually pay money for a black (oxodised)potato? If we didn't want crispy fries, then we wouldn't have them. This is why we have cooking methods like deep frying, grilling, and roasting. The surface of the food is just as important as the interior. Caramelisation not only provides colour, but great flavour as well. Which tastes better and why?: A well baked loaf of bread, or a...
[quote name="dcarch" url="/t/8650 You can achieve only 212F boiling potatoes. So if you boil, bake and deep fry potatoes all at 212F, the interior of the potatoes will be about the same taste and texture, but there will be slight difference because baking potatoes at 212F will take much longer to heat up the potatoes. As I said, timing changes food also, and that is 1/2 of the reason for SV. dcarch [/quote] Maybe hypothetically, but have you ever deep fried at 100...
Is there any "law" that says the grilled item HAS to be 3/4" thick? I If you pound the meat items thinner, they will obviously cook faster, and can be griiled to order. Just a thought.
Do you really think that the chosen cooking method has no effect on food?Take, for example the lowly potato...Is there a difference in texture between a:boiled potatobaked potatodeep fried potato
Look, there a finite amount of ways heat is applied to food--in other words, cooking methods. You have dry heat cooking methods--radient, convection, etc, and you have moist heat cooking methods, where heat is transferred to the food item through steam, oil, or water. There are however infinite methods of combining cooking methods. Thus, s.v. 's method of how heat is applied is poaching--a cooking method; or boiling, another cooking method, in the rare cases of when...
Look, if you want to exceed 85c in a waterbath, then its not poaching anymore.The fact that most of the cooking done a'la sous vide under 85 c has convinced me that it is poaching, albeit in a bag with the air sucked out of it. When you go above 85c it's simmering or boiling in a plastic bag with the air sucked out of it. S. V. Is just a technique--a good one, but a technique, not a cooking method. And boilin, simmering poaching, steaming, baking, roasting, deep...
Are we forgetting our temps?Boiling can obviously be only at 100 c, simmering below that, typically at 95 c, and poaching --as I have said before under 85 c, typically between 65 - 85 c.
Precisely.And that, --maintaining the temperature throughout the cooking process, is the definition of poaching.Of course, many Chefs have poached in butter or oil, have for quite some time now.