Posts by foodpump

Bread and rolls don't make money unless you are doing high volume. Desserts for care facilities, supermarkets, clubs & golf courses, etc. are your target market. Restaurants are a bit trickier, because if they have a beat up convection oven and a kitchenaid mixer, they will eventually immitate what you are selling, and if they can't bake, they'll get in stuff frozen and still bake it off. Wedding planners are iffy, since they will get a cateter, and then mark up on the...
Hi Pins,   By now you must have figured out that the hospitality industry is one of the meanest, most razor thin profit margin businesses there is.  Competition is cutthroat and never ending, and loyalty is for movie plots.  Restaurants go under or change hands faster than you can keep up, and the other guys are always undercutting you or signing "contracts", and locking customers in on inflated prices.     Yet some small businesses not only survive in this...
High labour cost can also mean a lot of employees are eating on your dime. Do you have staff meals. Do people stroll into the walk in when they sre hungry and "fend for themselves"?
Why a chef? Why not a butcher?
Nah, you're thinking like a pastry chef! Why buy the pre mixed stuff when you can make your own for much, much cheaper!
Melt yor cocoabutter, never going over 40 C. Add in your powdered fat soluable colour. How much depends on how vibrant you want your colours to be. Stir out any lumps/clumps of powder. Your colour will now look grainy and "not quite right". Place the coloured coco butter in the fridge and let it harden. Now take it out and melt it gently, this time not exceeding 32-ish C. Your colour has now completely dissolved, it, may settle to the bottom with time, but a quick...
I don't know what you mean by "honing rods". I have used a steel for about 30 years now, but it doesn't hone. Honing, as I understand it, means to refine an edge, to smooth the coarser abrasion marks with finer abrasiv. The steel--when used properly-- is used to straighten the cutting edge. As the extreme edge is very fine, it will roll over with use, especially with softer steels. When you rub the steel over the edge, the grooves in the steel pick up the rolled edge...
Not German, but Swiss, Victorinox.  Probably hands down the best bang for your buck.  
Hang on a sec, there oui oui,  You gave a month's notice?  Notice of what?   That you wanted to resign?  Or did I mis-read and it was a month's notice for that one particular day off?  If this is the case, contact the Chef, ask him/her if " is there is anything I should know?" regarding the weekly schedule.  If the answer is negative, ask " When do you anticipate me coming back to work?"     Someday:   I understand where you are coming from, but-tum, uhh... I ask...
I don't butter the walls of the pan, but I place a disc of parchment in between the dough and the pan bottom. I call this my "insurance papers".. If, for some reason the liquid filling leaks, it will weld the dough to the pan bottom, the paper will allow me to remove the whole quiche after baking. For this reason I also pour the liquid filling only AFTER the pan is in the oven, because if I fill first and then transport, I may slop the filling and it will trickle ...