or Connect

Posts by foodpump

I'm on Hastings @ Nanaimo, on holidays this week, we'll open up the 15th, Tue to Sat, 9-5.
Welcome to Cheftalk.   If you're ever in Vancouver, you can come and visit me in my kitchen.  Bring your knives.
 Ah...I see.... You want to store sharp, heavy, pointy-ended objects as high above your head and body as possible and yet still be readily accessible. Roger that. Over and out...
Well yeah, fair answer, everybody should work clean.  Thing is, where do you put your knife roll when you come into work?  Either on or under your workstation, right?    Kitchens are full of food, sh*t happens, and stuff gets spilled.  This has nothing to do with how clean you work or how organized you are.  It's pretty much guaranteed that stuff will get into your knife roll no matter how clean you keep, or how clean your knives are when you put them in.     The...
Leather, huh?   How do you clean/sanitize the roll when crud (ie. coffee, salad dressing, breadcrumbs, soup, etc) gets spilled on it?  How do you get crumbs and crud out of the deep pockets? How do you "deodourize" it when it starts to get skanky?   Leather rolls may be great for chisels and carving tools, not a good idea for kitchens where there is perishable foods around and a real need to keep knives sanitized. 
When I make chicken pot pie, I use the fat to make a roux for the gravy, incredible flavour.  When I make turkey stock, I use the fat for gravy roux and in the stuffing. I've used fat for sauting potatoes in, for oven roasting blanched potatoes in, and in dumplings.
Not much you can do except walk.   What did the owners ask you to do before starting work with them?  Did you negotiate any terms, like food cost or new menus with them?   Let me play devil's advocate for a minute so you get inside the owner's head:   Booze makes the money, food is just there to sell more booze.  As long as the place is making money, why bother with all that "Chefy" stuff like inventory?  Just a hassle, besides now the owners'll have to get involved...
-Scum: Is dead protein.  The longer the bones have been sitting around, the more scum you will get.  Ideally you should be getting fresh as possible bones.  You can also wash off the bones in several rinses of cold water before starting your stock.  Also once you stock comes to it's first boil, lower down the temp to a bare simmer and most of the dead protein will coagulate into large clumps which you can ladle off quite easily.  After a few minutes the fat starts to come...
I never really "got" the concept of knife bags. Over the years I have been "gifted" with several knife rolls.  I used them once or twice and then got rid of them;   My observations regarding knife bags and rolls?   1) Kitchens have a lot of food in them.  Duh!  The knife roll invariably lays under or even on a prep table.  And, invariably, the roll gets stuff like coffee, meat stock, salad dressing, bread crumbs, and whatever else spilled on it.  Cleaning the roll is a...
I already flagged the post--which incidentally is shay235's very first post.