or Connect

Posts by foodpump

I prefer to use A. Bunker's title: "Groin a cologist".......
Parallax, I don't think an internet chat forum is the place to make a definitive diagnosis. Someone (preferably a medical doctor or Podiatrist) should be actually looking at the feet, the gait, and ask a few questions before diagnosing. Don't you think?
Yup. Fishball pizza. See, the Singaporeans (well, many Asians, actually) have this love affair with fishballs, 9 out of 10 noodle dishes have them. Fishball pizza is what happens when you let a S'porean go creative in an American style pizza joint.... Hey! Howabout Haggis pizza?
One more trick: If you dont have a thermometer, or dont trust the one you do have, use a fork. Dip a normal table fork in the boiling syrup and hold it close to your mouth. Blow. If you can blow bubbles from between the tines, you're at the right temp.
Here in Vancouver, Chinese New Year is a pretty big thing. By sheer coincidence, Robbie Burns day usually falls the same time. A couple of enterprising bars have a "Gung Haggis fat choy" buffet for that day...
Natural apple pectin is abundant in green/partially ripe apples. Crab apples have very little pectin, and ripe crab apples none. Partially ripe or green crab apples will give you the "liqui-farts". You could do a 50/50 blend of crab and quince, or a blend of crab and other apples if you don't want to use additional pectin. We grew up with crab apples. If you break a branch off of a tree, you have plenty of ammunition for apple fights, green apples you can't eat, ripe...
Vancouver, eh? Heard it rains there... Welcome to Cheftalk
When buttercream wont get fluffy, I just shove the whole bowl, whisk and all, into the freezer for about 10 mins, then pop it back in the mixer and beat again, it'll go fluffy within a few minutes. You can avoid this by adding 2/3 of your butter at room temp, and the rest (in small chunks) fridge-cold. Hope this helps
Hi wormtall, I rhink that for this type of project you need to research "old school" style. Pre-kindle/e-books, stuff like Escoffier, or C.I.A. books start off in a very certain pattern: First ingredients are discussed Basic equipment is discussed Next basic skills like knife handling, basic prep work are discussed Next, basic cooking components like stocks, marinades, doughs, emulsions, etc are discussed Then cooking methods are discussed Only then are recipies...
While Switzerland wasn't in your list, you do need a "Wirte prufung" to operate, or at least you did in the '90's. Pretty sure Germany is the same. This is a course and subsequant battery of tests, usually about 4-5 mths full time. Everything from building materials to civil law is covered, with heavy emphasis on book keeping. Its no mickey-mouse course. Since this website is frequented mostly by N.Americans, it is not the most ideal place to ask this question.