or Connect

Posts by foodpump

I guess the writing is on the wall, and I'm not one to ever wear pants like those either.   Look, the traditional chequer or houndstooth pattern was designed for one, and only purpose:   -Camaflouge   Those patterns and the colours do a pretty good job of hiding small spills and stains.   It's the same reason chef's jackets are double-breasted, if you have to go out and talk to customers, you do a 10 second flip-over and you have a fairly clean uniform without...
O.K. ...   Truth be told, I've never tried out the pastes, but I do like my diamond stones.  I don't know about "wearing out", but diamonds do fracture and break down.  Ask any jeweler and they can confirm that just knocking a diamond ring against a cement wall can fracture and chip a diamond.  Same with the stones, they eventually fracture, break down, and fall out of their bonding.  Still, for the courser stones I like diamond stones because they cut very aggresively...
Mmmm... Well that's something to think about. Then again, I know a lot of woodworkers who use diamond paste (diamond particles suspended in mineral oil) as their sharpening medium. Some spread a drop on a cast iron surface, some on a hunk of mdf or plywood.  Places like Lee Valley have been selling this stuff for years now, so it is well respected in the woodworking and metalworking trades.
Whoa, hold on there.   There are diamond "stones" like 8" x 3" or larger, and there are hones, and then there are diamond "steels".  I don't like the diamond "steels" because it is an abrasive and a steel was never designed to abrade metal, only to straighten out the edge or to burnish an edge.  A diamond "steel" will abrade a fresh edge, but I have never gotten a consistent bevel with this contraption.   You can get diamond stones in a wide variety of "grits", and DMT...
Beeswax is great, but expensive.   You just need a drop or two of mineral oil to keep the handle from drying out.  Mineral oil is cheap and food safe (in small quantities, that is)  You can get it at any drugstore in the baby-care aisle
Like Phatch, I don't think the Victorinox knives can be beat for bang-for-buck, and although I didn't know Phatch shops at Ikea, I too have bought their knives and really can't complain about value or performance.   Here's the thing about knives in in my opinion:   They are a tool, just a hunk of steel with a sharp edge.  I use them all day, every day for well over 30 years now. The food doesn't know or care what brand of knife cuts it, it just has to be...
Yeah... My sister made me promise never to work on cruise lines, she worked 7 years for one of the big ones as a Purser.    She witnessed a lot of stuff going down.  One thing that really stuck in her mind was when 3 guys came to her and complained about their 4th bunk-mate.  Seems he was, um... defecating in the shower stall.  She had other complaints of throwing used toilet paper in the garbage (very common in L. American countries where the sewer systems can't...
And there you have it,   thanks for the great insights hamlrt.   From the above posts you can gather the following:   -Typical cruise line "contracts" are 3 mths.  Do not quit or walk off the job while at sea!!!! Quit at the end of your contract or slip out at a port of call.   -Keep sufficient cash or open tickets close to your chest.   -If you're lucky and have dual citizenship, keep your "back-up" (secondary) passport close to your chest.  Many employers like...
Ah, wtf, paint it all black.   Look, ya don't need a minimum wage.  Yes, you do need a starting point to pay a kid with "0" experience  who shows up 10 mins late for his/her shift and fully expects to be rewarded for just showing up.   What you need is a series of qualifications.  Pass this qualification, get a pay increase.   You can't really talk about Unions, for the simple fact that the Unions have done didly-squat for the industry.  They just exist to leach off...
In addition to what Ingyh wrote, I have a few caveats about opening your own business as well.  My thoughts on this are based on my personal experience of owning/operating two businesses during the last 18 years.   1) Get to know your "money bags".  In most cases this would be your financial institution.  What is their knee-jerk reaction to proposals for restaurants/food service industries?  What kind of a business plan are they looking for?  How detailed? Are they...