or Connect

Posts by foodpump

You need to read the ingredient list on the packaging.  If the list includes cocoa powder and "weird" fats OTHER than cocoa butter, it will only be good for chocolate chip cookies.  Think about it:  A cookie 1/2" thick goes into a 350 F oven for 20 minutes and the "chocolate" won't melt, lose it's shape, or show fat bloom when cold.
This is interesting, thanks for the recipie, Koukouvagia.  Not being a nutritionalist, I wouldn't know if meat would contain more nutrients (amino acids, minerals like iron, and other trace elements) then bone.  However I'm a big believer that all food is medicine, and diet is probably one of the best ways of keeping our health in balance.   I have absolutely no idea what raw apple cider vinegar is doing in there, or what function it serves.   The phrase "..boiling...
This is what Cook's Illustrated (C.I.) has been advocating for years now.  They also advocate the use of copious amounts of vodka in pastry dough too, and also acknowledge that scaling flour is accurate and quick, but do not advocate the scaling of any other ingredients. Needless to say, I stopped reading C.I. a while back... I have to say, your posts are similar to another poster, D. Carch.  You should look up his posts, eerily similar to yours.....
O.K., why not? Look, lets go back to pre-1980's, before the vacuum packing machine changed the meat industry and, to a great extent, the restaurant industry.  Most better quality places would bring in halves or quarters of beef, pork, veal, lamb, etc.  You get the bones with the meat whether you want them or not, and like it or not, you also paid for them.  Might as well extract some flavour from them before tossing them out, right?  It is for this reason that bones are...
II've 'splained and ' splained again, but it just isn't getting through.Broth is any liquid that is ready to eat--salted and seasoned to taste.If you make a conomme with broth--already salted to taste, and simmer this for 30 minutes, you'd get something you'd have to dilute with water to make it palatable.Stock, on the other hand has no salt, so it can be reduced to half, oe even more without making it saltier.This all makes a huge difference if you are making soups and...
Yes...exactly. Definition and technique. Was my post not clear? In any case, koukouvagia, you can find fresh chicken bones for sale in any Asian grocery store, dirt cheap too. No one says you can't make a stock with bones, and then poach a breast or two in the stock before using that stock, right?
Clarified, yes, but also fortified with fresh meat trimmings, as well as fresh vegetables.  The clarification contains egg white as well as ground meat and ground vegetables, right?   Broth (which is seasoned stock) is not ideal to clarify because of the long simmering times involved, which means while the liquid content has been reduced, the salt content stays the same.  In other words, too salty. Clear as consommé? 
Broth is a liquid that is seasoned and ready to eat. Doesn't matter if its made from bones, meat (and or trimmings) or both. A stock is a liquid that can be converted to a soup, a sauce, or whatever you want, and because of this, no salt is added, and the flavouring profile is fairly neutral. When you think about the word stock, it means easily converted. i.e. paper stocks are easily converted to cash, they don't need to mature like bonds, retail stores have stock that ...
The last salaried job I took was with a small hotel who had leased out the entire F &B servicesvto a high end restaurant. I was there fore one year and we went through 6 f&b managers. Six. The rest. owner was described by many who knew him as an "arrogant (deleted)". In short, the owner was breathing down everyone's neck all the time. One f&b walked out mid service when the owner cloed down a section that was opened to accomoadate a hockey game (canucks vs penguins). ...
Trailers suck for your purposes. Bite the bullet and get a van, it will be a lot easier. Very few trailers have side doors, most vans do, and they are invaluable. Delivering or setting up in underground parkades is horrible with trailers You need a powerfull vehicle to pull a trailer, but can't use this to haul food with, eqpt. maybe, but not food. No one says you can't get a tailgate lift for a van. I used plain old ramps for years--300lb bbqs and fulled loaded...