or Connect

Posts by foodpump

Nobody has acknowledged the fact that the new hire has been in jail and has a history of physical violence.  Surviving prison isn't a girl guide cookie drive.... In any case, I'd refrain from "conversations" in the walk -in or anywhere private, or she'll (new hire) will flash back to her prison days and react accordingly.   She's pretty easy to understand: No restaurant experience, she screws up, and then the O.P has to point out her mistakes.  What's a girl to do?  She...
I've only been in business for 17 years myself, but here's what I've learned about providing freebies or events at cost:   The only "promotion" you will get is promotion for more freebies     Doesn't matter if it's an event at cost, or freebies for a silent auction, or charity stuff, or whatever.  The only thing this will generate is more requests for more freebies.   That doesn't mean I don't donate to charitable organizations, I do, but on the sole request that my...
Go through the rep, not the dealer.  The sales rep for your area is the factory direct link, all sales orders go through him/her.  Ask the rep to go to bat for you.   Had a similar issue with Blodgett ovens, got my thermostat replaced a week after I got it on warranty.  It crapped out 3 mths later, still had 5 mths left on the 1 yr warranty.  Both the dealer and the factory told me to go fly a kite.  I went straight to the rep, got it replaced a day later. 
There are 3 grades of gelatine sheets, bronze, silver and gold, with each level costing more than the last.   So what's the difference?   Gelatin strength is measured in "Bloom", and uses a contraption to test it  that was invented by a man called, you guessed it "Bloom".  Basically it's a rod of a specific length and diameter.  The rod is plunged into a sample of gelatin and the depth of the rod's penetration is measured.  What all this basically means is that the...
Personally, I've never had trouble with the 100 cup brewers.  Yes they are slow, yes they are old fashioned, but I've never had trouble with them. What I have done with large parties is to brew in the 100cup and pour this into a beverage cambro.  Keep in mind that once you use a beverage cambro for coffee, you can ONLY use it for coffee.  No amount of scrubbing or baking soda or whatever will remove coffee taste--tea, fruit juices, punch, etc., will all taste like...
O.K., how's this:   We call the guy (or gal) who can run all the sections ( previously known as the "tournant" ((root word tour)), and there are Chef Tournants as well as commis tournants, but the Chef Tournants supervise the station) and call them "Druff"
Cinnamon is a complete different species from cassia, different genus, too.  Generally cassia has  a stronger flavour, and cinnamon a more delicate one.   If you look in the bible, old testament, forget which book, there's a  recipe for an annointing oil.  It very specifically mentions both cinnamon AND cassia..... 
Now I'm confused...   When in England, using the English language, and you want to use French brigade terms, then you use French Brigade terms, and not French brigade names with different, UK meanings.  Not saying the French naming system is better or worse, but it is a system.    Whole thing kinda reminds me of a Chinese girlfriend I had who would "invent" new words like "Druff", (draft + rough)  "hand me some druff paper so I can jot down this phone number quick."   ...
You can go 1/2 way and get  a "Tomato witch", you place a whole cored tomato in the cradle, shove it through the serrated blades, and you catch the slices in one bunch as they come out the other end.  From there it's just a few knife cuts to diced, but if you do a lot of s'wiches or burgers, it's a pretty sweet deal.  They are expensive, but I always got mine used.  What you need to do is to show the owners on paper how much time you are spending manually cutting something...
Now Etherial, this just isn't like you....   Usually when you post a question or a statement and don't get the response you want, you are right back, same day, fighting, argueing, and fighting some more.   Let's treat the whole thing like a science experiment, O.K?   You say employers should recognize you because of your 40 years cooking experience*, and personality and leadership qualities that make you the right choice to lead a kitchen brigade and a...