or Connect

Posts by foodpump

Actually, you'd better look at your chocolate labels.  White chocolate contains well over 40% milk/and/or cream powder, and remember, chocolate has "0" water content.   If you want to make a ganache, you need the fat content, this is what gives your ganache its body  Coconut cream in the cans is mostly water.     I just suggested to you coconut fat as a substitute, please start getting familiar with it if you want to go the lactose free route.  I also suggested coconut...
Hang on a second...   Can't use white chocolate, it contains milk powder and/or cream powder.   Maybe you can try unrefined coconut fat, pretty firm at room temp.  Lots of the specialty grocery stores and the health food places carry it.  Mind you,  any sugar you want to use will have to be dissolved in some kind of liquid, although no one says you can't use honey or corn syrup either.
No one says you can't use buttermilk or milk for ganache, its just that your shelf life will be very short, even under refrigeration. If it were me, Id experiment with 100% white chocolate 25%coconut flavoured liqueor (Malibu or similiar) 25%powdered coconut (This is the dehydrated finley powdered stuff you find in little 50 gr. envelopes) I profess I am ignorent of all things lactose, and do not know if buttermilk is lactose free. This should give you a starting...
Not manty recipies out there. Basically, you need cocoa butter, milk powder, cream powder, and sugar. Tiny amount of vanilla--1/2%, and most companies use a tiny amount of soy lecethin-1/2%., thats half of one percent. The lecethin, in small amounts acts as a thinning agent--it mimics the addition of almost 10%cocoa butter. Obviously you can use cocoa butter instead. Thing is, none of the ingredients will dissolve in cocoa butter, they are only water soluable. ...
I just submitted my first "how to" in the article section of this forum. It deals with chocolate figures. This is my first attempt writing this style, I'm not that familiar with loading pics, and I have over 15 of them, and may have scrambled a few of pictures with their texts up. Hopefully, this will be the first of more "how to's" to come. Have a look and see what you think.
How? I hated wearing glasses... Seriously, I had been wezring glasses since around 8 years old. By the time I was 16 I was screaming for contact lenses. Parents said if you want them what's stopping you from earning some money to buy them yourself? In the town I grew up in, in the late '70's, there was only two types of restaurnts, Greek or Chinese. I got myfirst job washing dishes in grade 10, and kept at it until after grade 12. Then I got serious and started in...
Like the others, I hate, loathe, detest, etc. the low temps. Why?   Well, for one thing, you need another chemical, sanitizer, in addition to your soap and your rinse aid.  Sanitizer is also quite caustic, so the lines and dispensing units need to be changed more frequently.   For another, plates, glassware come out lukewarm from the machine, and don't dry as quickly as with high temps.  This leads to wet, messy counters and wet messy stacks of plates.   And...
Don't really feel it will matter much, the dough is fairly thin, and the surface area quite spread out, so it will defrost by the time you get your fillings in and in the oven. 
The devil is in the details...   Last time I looked at the specs, the Jackson had the highest water consumption and energy consumption of all three.  I personally am not thrilled with CMA, but this is my personal preference.   Hobart and Champion are solid machines, your choice will probably be based on price, warranty, and availability.
To be perfectly honest, I left the hot kitchen 9 years ago when I walked into the pastry kitchen.  That being said, I have a lot of contact with culinary students AND culinary instructors.   I have relationships with 3 culinary schools, and at least once a year all three send me at least one student for periods ranging from 2 weeks to 2 days.  By sheer coincidence, I've had no "deadbeats" in all these years, they've all showed up on time, ready for work, with no...