or Connect

Posts by foodpump

If you're asking why wages for cooks don't increase, the answer is simple:   Too much competition for the dining dollar.   That and the fact that there are no real standards for cooks, or what a cook should know, relate directly to what a cook should be paid.
I don't understand...   Are you saying that the work is done, and now you want a figure for your compensation?   If that's the case, you are s.o.l., you have negotiate a figure before you start your work, same as any other contractor the world over does, and has done for centuries now.
As an apprentice, we were never allowed to make Hollandaise until after a good stint in the pastry kitchen.  One of the big sellers for dessert was sabayon...   A good hollandaise is a sabayon with butter added.  Master the sabayon and you can dump butter in without it ever breaking,  I've done it in 30 qt Hobart bowls and dumped butter in, always holds, never breaks.   The "method" we were taught to make sabayon was to get a sauce pan full of boiling water.  In a...
Two foods that absorb flavours:   The first is fats--any kind of a fat.   The second is booze.  The higher proof it is, and the less of sugar or other stuff in there, the more flavour it will absorb and transmit to other ingredients within the dish.   but, on second though, just mail the bottle to me.....
I dunno, I just dunno...   Look, durban poison, I've got no beef with you, and I don't mean to single you out, nor is it my place to ream you out, but.....   Your post is a classic shining example of why it should be MANDATORY for Culinary Schools to only accept students with a minimum of 1 year experience PRIOR to taking the course.   O.K. yeah, so you don't like working the line, fair enough.  But don't think that other kitchens don't have their share of...
  Hey, wait a minute!  I have a great idea for a new reality TV show, we'll call it "who wants to be a Chef?"  See, we'll get this Chef--not just a chef-chef, but a Chef,Chef,Chef-you-know-a-real-Chef, one with full-sleeve tats and a knife made from a solid piece of unobtanium, forged by mystical dwarves on the very pinnacle of the Dutch Alps.  Anyway, we get this Chef and give him/her a one year lease on a beat-up 50 seat diner and film the whole thing.  If he opens on...
I really think you should work for at least a year in a kitchen before you go any culinary school.    This is probably the single, most important piece of advice I can offer you right now.  Should you take this advice, chances are that in 3 years from now you will be very happy that you did.  If you choose not to take the advice, odds are 80/20 in favour that you wished you did 3 years later.   Hope this helps
Yes, you will need a hood for electric ranges, most municipalties will want this as even electric ranges will produce grease laden vapours and odours and they need to be removed.   Refrigerated pastry cases:   1) Avoid used at all costs 2) Avoid gravity coil types at all costs 3)Avoid anything made with barficle board (particle board comprised of sawdust and glue), or plywood.  There are a lot of cheap N. American brands that still do this.   4) Double glazed glass...
That's the thing I don't get.  The French brigade and naming system goes all the way back to Escoffier.  I want to make it crystal clear that this is NOT an ideal system or even relevant in today's kitchens, but it is a system.   Now the metric system and the imperial system are both systems and work well--if you leave them alone and don't try to mix them up.  You're gonna get awfully confused if there are 12 decimeters in a meter or 1000 feet in a mile.   So why dick...
If you need knowledge with equipment or design, go to a large restaurant equipment store.  For bakeries, try a bakery equipment store.   Your municipality HAS to provide you with what they want to see in your kitchen. Don't even start untill you know what they want, so if need be, pay them a visit.  Most municipalities will require a grease trap for any commercial kitchen or bakery.  I do only chocolate and pastry, but am required to have one. You will need a hood for a...