or Connect

Posts by foodpump

Well, yes what you say is true, but the O.P was soliciting opinions from Chefs, for the purpose of going into professional kitchens to sell his products.   So the common complaints among professional cooks is that the handles are uncomfortable (and just plain weird, to boot) and that the knives themselves are waay overpriced.   I'll be first to admit I don't own any Cutco stuff, but I demo my products (food products that is) at about 3 trade shows per year, and at...
Thanks for your responses.   I noticed one topic that remained static in your posts, you don't seem to have a high opinion about your fellow students.  Yeah, yeah, you've given us all the reasons WHY you don't have such a high opinion about them, but you never mentioned about taking the time to show or explain why or how to do things properly. You are older, and world-wise, there's no reason why you shouldn't take more of an interest in your collegues. Doing so shows...
After 30 odd years in the biz, I can't match your Dad's sage words of wisdom.   However, I can offer you this one piece of advice:   Go and work in a few kitchens, for a few months or maybe even a year BEFORE you go to culinary school.  Washing dishes, prepping veg, whatever.  Everyone has started off this way, and if you go into this field, you will too.   Once you do this, you can answer the questions that you asked yourself.   OTOH I can't find the relationship...
I appreciate your honesty and willingness to solicit opinions, thank you.   Quite frankly, the Cutco knives are overpriced and only perform so-so.   Look, a restaurant has basically two options when it comes to knives for cooks:   1)The first is every man/woman for themselves, and as long as the knife is sharp and clean, there is no problem.  Obviously the cooks take great pride in their equipment and will buy good quality stuff.   2) The second option is rentals. ...
It also depends on:   -How many employees you are in charge of -How much product you are making -How much money you can make for the kitchen   Now for instance, like a 500 rm hotel, the pastry dept. might make all of the bread items--everything from croissants to burger buns, as well as desserts for 3-4 F&B outlets, maybe a few contracts outside of the building, and maybe a cake shop in the lobby.   This job will pay well, assuming food and labour costs are in line,...
Siezing is what happens when moisture gets into chocolate--it turns lumpy, grainy, and solidifies.  At this stage it is useless for chocolate work, but you were right to make hot chocolate with it, or to use it for baking.   The moisture can come from water, or steam--especially if you use a double boiler to melt your chocolate.  Also working with chocolate on hot, humid days can have the same effect.
I thought about that too, but the O.P. hasn't responded at all
O.K., you need to do a little research on the Red Seal.   First go to the ITA website, that's the INDUSTRY TRAINING AUTHORITY, this is a Fed. Gov't dept.   Next go to the Go2 website, this is the B.C. Gov't dept responsible for the hospitality industry.  They work closely with the ITA and have input into the exam.   From the Go2 site you will find all information about the exam .   The whole "challenging" B.S. will soon be phased out, and if you studied the Go2 site,...
I've got a very simple spreadsheet that I call my "orthodontics sheet".  With this, I plug in my price and the weight I buy my ingredients in (ie walnut 1/2's and pieces, $32.69 for a 5 lb re-pack) and it spits out a price per kg.    EVERTYTHING in my kitchen is costed out in $/kg, including oil, booze, milk, cream, spices, etc.  All of my recipies are in metric weight  as well.  It doesn't matter what the packaging size is or if it is in imperial or metric, all that...
Hi Etherial,   Did you have time to read over my post and maybe think about an answer or two to my questions?