or Connect

Posts by foodpump

oops sorry, that should be 475F, not 575
DO NOT BUY  A PIZZA OVEN FOR BAKERY USE.   Sorry about the screaming, but it's true.  Pizza ovens run best at temps around 575 F and above, downright sh*tty at lower temps.
 With all new hires--regardless of the amount of experience they have--I will walk them through a process or recipie.  For instance, say puff heads: "The dough is mixed to window pane and rested covered for at least 1 hr. Then we do two double tours with at least 20 mins rest  between, then a single, then rest overnight and the following day two doubles and you're done."   Regardless of what you have learned in school or from other employers, we do things in my kitchen my...
If it's a formal apprenticeship, then this is what I'd do.   Take the kid aside and tell him he's started a career and needs to learn as much as he can.  In this kitchen he can learn from his Mum or you, and you need and want to show him things but he needs to pay attention.  If there isn't a clock on the wall, get one, and give him duties that need to be repeated every day.  Then tell him to better his time by at least a 30 secs every day.
So, for all intents and purposes, this was your first interview for f/t cooking?   Now, don't get the idea I'm offering any advice here, but how will you handle future interviews where you are asked to do  an 8 hr shift "stage" before a decision can  be made to hire or not?
  Yes and no.  As far as I know, the US is divided into "right to work States" and not.  In the "Right to work" States, any server working in a place that gets tips is entitled to a "tipping wage" which can be as low as $2.17 /hr .  Wonder who lobbied for that prime piece of legislation?... Here in Vancouver, B.C. the minimum wage is $10.25/hr and no tipping wages for servers other than for liquor servers, who earn , I think, a buck an hour less.  Over the border, in Wash....
Bay area, huh?   I though your previous Govenor, aka "the Govenator" made it a law that any money on the table belonged exclusively to the server, and any attempt to make the server part with said money would result in holy (deleted).   You have every right to be ticked off, but things are not going to change any time soon.  If you don't like this current state of affairs, take off your apron and put on a white shirt and black pants, or get out of the hospitality...
I think you have us pegged wrong, Caribou.  Those of us who work for ourselves have a different view of things, and we want to be very clear and frank with the OP about this.   Working professionally, and by this I mean working exclusively in the kitchen with no back-up jobs or other financial means is not really about cooking, and not always about doing what you want to do.  It's all about generating enough cash to keep things moving.  Cooking is the fun part, and the...
I guess the writing is on the wall, and I'm not one to ever wear pants like those either.   Look, the traditional chequer or houndstooth pattern was designed for one, and only purpose:   -Camaflouge   Those patterns and the colours do a pretty good job of hiding small spills and stains.   It's the same reason chef's jackets are double-breasted, if you have to go out and talk to customers, you do a 10 second flip-over and you have a fairly clean uniform without...
O.K. ...   Truth be told, I've never tried out the pastes, but I do like my diamond stones.  I don't know about "wearing out", but diamonds do fracture and break down.  Ask any jeweler and they can confirm that just knocking a diamond ring against a cement wall can fracture and chip a diamond.  Same with the stones, they eventually fracture, break down, and fall out of their bonding.  Still, for the courser stones I like diamond stones because they cut very aggresively...