or Connect

Posts by foodpump

Ahh google.... what a crock, but not as big or as smelly as Wikipedia.  So google figures the word (and verb) "Cook" should be replaced with "Chef".  Mmmm...  What then, is the google-endorsed word for the "the one who runs the kitchen, hires, fires, orders and most importantly keeps the food and labour costs in line"? Cheffy-chef"? Le grande Chef" Or using stah-bucks-speak, "Venti-Chef"?  Can we make limmericks with the word chef?  I never saw a cheffing chef who cheffed...
Hmmmm...   Wonder if there's a version of the mix in an aerosol can that you can just squirt into (silicone) muffin cups and nuke?
Yeah, try cleaning/scrubbing down a flattop or straining a fryer with short sleeves.  You'll only  it once.....
Quality control, customer satisfaction,  as well as maintenance and repair of the property and equipment usually fares better when the owner is the Chef or a working partner.     Most places start of this way, and then once things settle down the owner is away or on "extended" holidays with staff taking up the various duties.  What this really means is that if no huge issues come up, and if the income is steady, the owner doesn't bother rolling up his/her sleeves...
Iron?  Isn't that what most steels are made of?   Seriously though, I never iron, take the stuff out of the dryer when it's about 95% dry and stick it on a coat hanger, it'll look "freshly ironed".  I learned that trick from a waiter.......
Ah.. that's the good stuff, J. Daniels and the like.  But it is true, many distillers add caramel to "darken" their booze, as does many soft drink companies.
But caramel IS colour!   Take a look at the ingredient list on Coke (coca-cola) Caramel is listed as, I think, the last or second last ingredient.  It's burnt sugar, sugar cooked to black, and then water added. No dairy products added, I can guarantee that.  Add this to anything liquid and it will colour it darker.  Whisky (or is it whiskey?...) and rum distillers have been using this trick for centuries. 
  I believe the word you used in your post, "carmalized",  is spelled "caramelised".  Multiple syllables, care - a- mel- ized.
All of this is good advice and should be taken or at least considered.  There is a way to bring up standards in a kitchen where you are not in charge, and I will explain in detail, but first...   If I understand correctly your Chef is not really interested in bringing up standards.  In other words s/he is comfortable.  Then it only follows that the owner or G.M. of the place is comfortable as well, or they'd be crawling up the Chef's posterior.  If you follow this...
  A lot of red flags in this post, where do I start? "Most of the recipe canbe learnt throughYoutube or on the web" Boulee-cheetIn order to learn, you have to understand the techniques, and You-tube/internet is onesided--you can't ask it questions.  You also have to master the recipie or technique, which means repetition--doing it over and over again. Just because I learned the techniques of a hockey wrist shot or a golf swing n Youtube doesn't mean I've mastered them,  I...