Posts by foodpump

How long did you want to wait before you see no changes?
Have to call the health dept.. They can issue fines or shut down and therefor be taken seriously. As others have pointed out, a Chef or someone from the industry won't be taken seriously. D.a.m.h.I.k.t.......
Well, its been two weeks now, and I'm still there, so I must be doing something right. I knew something was up when the dishwasher and the drivers started snapping pics of my platters. Hushed conversations between the Chef and owner when I whipped out a baked chesecake, guaranteeing them for the third time that, no, there was no gelatine or starch in there and that it was indeed baked. Suspicious looks when I claimed the gas oven under the flat top that no one used...
My thoughts are that the engineering dept. never took kitchen maintainence seriously, and has not budgeted manpower or materials for the kitchen. Now its everything at once. If you have diplomatic "wriggle room" you get together and do a monthly "hit list": This month you do maintainence on the walk in compressors, next month its the steam kettles, next month half of the freestanding fridges, etc., etc. Just my thoughts...
The 5 kg slabs were meant to be melted whole. oor smaller quantities, most chocolate co.s offer the same couverture or chocolate in small discs. If you have a very sturdy table, you can line up the slab about halfway with the edge of the table and violently smash the slab, cracking it in half. You need a sturdy table for this, like a 1 1/2" thick maple top, you can bend or dent commercial s/s tables this way. D.a.m.h.I.k.t....... "Sawing" the slab with a serrated...
I just melt it.
Reading through this, my first question is why fine dining and why not nutrtional/dietary, assisted living? Is this is where you naturaly find yourself comfortable, its probably the best scenerio.I myself find fine dining too stressfull and not conducive to a functioning marriage.Something to consider, no?
The name IS the game. A free lancer hustles for his/her own clients. If there was a website for this valuable information, the website host would be the free lancer, right?
Ummm....Itsasecretshh.... Coupla things. Any good chef--and by that I mean the person in charge of the kitchen, negotiates his/her salary by using food and labour costs as guides. A good chef should be able to get $5-10,000 yearly bonuses if the food and labour costs go down. This is what gets Chefs hired in the first place, good f&l costs. Owners... True they make more money, but they also "give" more money to the bank. They also have invested their own money or...
The insane safety laws can all be traced back to insane lawsuits. O.t.o.h. I remember working in Singapore in the early '90's. One large chemical co there supplying 90% of the hospitality industry with cleaning chemicals. None, I repeat, none of the labels had international signs for caustic, wear goggles, do not ingest, etc., no written warnings either. No instructions on dilution rates, no information on what each particular product was intended for.