or Connect

Posts by foodpump

May I suggest doing what we --hospitality career professionals-- have all done before we managed a business?   Work in the industry.  Like all of us, start at the bottom bussing tables and/or washing dishes.  Keep a close eye on the owner/manager and watch how they deal with everyday situations and how they plan for the future.   In regards to your questions...   1) Managers and Head chefs and Maitre D's are all great, they are also supervisory positions.  This also...
Should be easy, what do your textbooks/course literature say?
Well of course they are!  Most of that-tum, uh..."stuff" is made from "mechanically deboned chicken". Now I won't spoil the surprise and tell you what or how that is made, I'll let you do the research on that.
Hmmm, most unique intro I've come across in the 10-odd years I've been on this site.    It shouldn't bother you what other people think of you or your cooking then, eh?
That's easy.  More meat per bird compared to chicken.  This means less labour, and less waste (bones, skin).
Answer: Any work experience.   Every Professional Chef that I know of, and certainly most on this forum, started off washing dishes.    Yes it is "entry level".  Yes it pays minimum wage.    However, after a  few weeks on the job you will know what a 1/9th insert is, how to clean out a deep fryer, why you need to empty the grease trough before starting to clean a flattop, how to prep salads, why it's important to knock on the walk-in door when you're inside and...
Don't know what the drinking/driving laws and tolerances are in your neck of the woods, but without booze, it's hard to make a buck.  Catering or production might work though.
The best solution, IMHO, is to get a couple of cheap microwaves, a working fridge, and a coffee brewer in the staff room, and that's that.  Period.  "Clean out the fridge" is what daily specials and Sunday brunches were designed for.   I don't know about the labour laws in your area and if indeed your employer is taking off a certain amount from each employee's paycheck.  If this is the case either you're stuck or you have to negotiate with the owners to not charge...
Yeah, I 've ben in those restaurants. Sally" gets a whopping 3 hrs to prep her Caesar salad mise, "Bobby" gets 2 hrs and 3 re-tries for his bechemel sauce.  "Fred" screws up on his mashed pots and has to re-do again. and "Barney" has his text book propped open and tenderloin warming up as he cuts filets.   Is this typical for a modern restaurant? Would any of us last more than 1 day if we pulled that kind of cr*p at our jobs?
  That's because most European nations have an apprenticeship system, where, typically, the cooks's apprentice(15-16 yrs old) goes to work 4 days/week and one day in school for 3 years.  Upon completing the apprenticeship, the cook has 3 solid years of work experience behind him/her, a federal gov't generated credential, and no student loan.   This is a far cry from the N.American model where the culinary school graduate --assuming s/he had no experience prior to...