or Connect

Posts by foodpump

For me, if it has flour and sugar in it, was made and baked in-house, then it's a "pastry item".
Standard response is to get yourself washing dishes locally. Doesn't matter where. If you don't like ikitchens in Florida, you won't like them in the carribean. How's your french and spanish?
Well, of course there will be hurdles in the climb up to a supervisory position.  But they shouldn't have anything to do with your private life.  You will get a-hole co workers from time to time, but most people want to extract as much knowledge and technique from you and don't really care about what you do off the clock.   Gawd knows that if I had a dollar for every gay co-worker that I've worked with, I'd be rich. Can't really say if I've ever worked with transgendered...
Cruise lines are notoriously hard for employees.  Be prepared for 7 day weeks, 12 hr shifts.  You might a get a few hours shore leave in ports of call.  Accommodations are "fun", usually 4 to a cabin.     Hope this helps....
  From my understanding of metallurgy, everything is a trade off: Edge retention vs. ease of sharpening, Hardness vs. brittleness.  True, some of the powdered metals don't force you to make such trade offs, but you haven't discussed those.  So what is "best"?  And how much maintainence, sharpening equipment does it need, and what are it's limitations? History is important too.  The earliest record of  Europeans were forging steel to wrought iron blades  goes back to the...
  Well, go ahead, list the ways.
Try a perforated pizza pan. Take a screw driver and "lift" up each hole so it behaves like a grater. Take some 220grit sandpaper and smooth the surface. Use your hand to rub and force the dough through. When the spaetzle swim up from the boiling water, scoop them off and shock in cold water.
Its not so much the bench surface as it is the actual bench itself.     For instance, everyone in a commercial kitchen knows how flexible/wiggly/shaky a standard stainless steel prep table is.  You put a little pressure on the rolling pin and the table sags, You try and knead bread dough, and the table wiggles and shimmies all over the place.   The typical residential countertop is actually fairly good, as it is supported every 16-24" by the base cabinet walls.  The...
Ganache is pure chocolate and dairy cream. Chocolate sauce is chocolate with more cream, or milk, or even water. Fudge is a candy made up od fine sugar crystals. It may or may not have chocolate in it. Take your chefs word over the waitress 's definition any day.
Exactly.The $600 J-knife with the acute angle and all that is a "best" or "better" knife for the guy who buys $500 worth of Tuna, and converts it to a couple of grand worth of Sushi and Sashimi on a daily basis. The initial cost, high maintainence, and severe limitations of the knife are really nothing when you consider that that knife is being used day in and day out to pay the rent.Same knife for an at-home cook? Honestly, it will sit in its presentation box most of...