or Connect

Posts by foodpump

Cheese, plus cofee, plus liquor, equals tirimisu.........
 For the first situation, if the employee is not challenged, they will eventually leave to go to someplace else to learn something different. For the cook who wants broad experience and exposure to all the aspects the culinary world has to offer, it just doesn't make sense to stay in one place for more than a year--for mngmt, for 3 years max. Most--if not all of the super-high-end kitchens are aware of this, hence the 15 stagiers, the very low pay for the 5 regular cooks,...
Yup... If I ever do sell, I'll give the new owners a great deal on the lease.......
As a Canuck, and therefore exempt from the wrath of the IRS, I gotta say I never paid myself a dime.   We run a clean business, own the small business property, own a modest home, and a 8 yr old Mazda.  Nothing mind boggling, but not owing anything either.  When we have money we pump it back into the business.
Bleaching coffee cups (and tea pots, coffee carafes and urns) was one of my first duties as a dishwasher.  And it works well--as does scrubbing out with baking soda 'Course, with bleach, you don't have to scrub, you just let them soak, then wash.  Coffee cups don't get scarred though.  An old waitresses trick to clean those old glass coffee pots was to throw a hand full of pennies, some water, and a couple of tablespoons of baking soda and swirl it around, cleaned like...
What flip flop said....   Knives and forks (especially steak knives) will scratch the glaze on porcelain plates. Even though the plate may be scrupulously clean, the scratched glaze makes it look scummy and dirty.   Also if the "foot" of the plate is unglazed, it will also scratch the plate stacked underneath it.  (An old trick is to sharpen a knife on the foot of an unglazed plate--it works,  very well).   Good commercial quality 8" or 9" plates can set you back 12-18...
Thats what clean fryer baskets are for.....
1)  Make sure the dishpit has a stack of boxtops or pieces of cardboard handy.  Use these as disposable "squeegees" to muck out the congealed bacon fat from sheetpans, fat from roasting pans, gunk from hotel pans, or any other crud.  Any eejit will otherwise  aim the spray gun on a bacon fat covered sheetpan and hope it all washes down the drain--NOT   2) get a sheet pan and line it with bbq bricks.  Shove this in your standard p.o.s. convection oven, and bake ontop of...
I dunno about this....   I think we can all agree that Sodexo/Sysco food can be "stereotyped" as the quintessential vacuum tumbled chix brst @ 20% "protein" added content.   But if I was looking for a Sous, I' d be looking more for management skills.  Everybody would get training for me on how I want my food done, but I'd take it for granted that a Sous could jump in at any point of the game, could keep the kitchen running for 3-5 days while I'm gone, and could be...
Mmm, I had paragraphs in the above post, don't know where they went to...