or Connect

Posts by foodpump

Hi J-cakes.   Here's my story.....   8 years ago we set up a small pastry and choc shop. Needed a 5' and a 3' display case, one for chocolates and one for pastries.  My partners freaked when I gave them the quotes for True and General, and almost turfed me out when I showed them quotes for the Euro cases.  Against my protests they went and bought cases made in China.    Now, I gotta admit, the cases looked good, solid marble veneers (no laminate),  welded steel...
Rollers, in the garage. Usually 25 mins every night in the winters. It rains here--from Oct. -May..... Used to have the rollers in our apt. before we got a house. Summers I'm on the roads though.
  A-yup.  And without the added cost of those stupid (deleted) vacuum bags or the labour it takes to pack and seal those items in the bags.  Where poaching in bags does make sense is with larger items, but for a'la carte it is an exercise in waste. 
Q:  How do you plan to deal with the retaliation from the cook and maybe the Chef for reporting them to HR?   I'm not saying I agree or sympathize with this, but there's a 99.98% chance that it will happen.  The Chef backs up the cook, and the Chef is aware of his mistakes as well as his own screw ups.
Well, yes that point is true.  However, no one said that you have to poach in gallons and gallons of liquid, no one said that liquid had to be water, and no one said you had to throw out that liquid once your item was poached...... Take for example a fairly standard procedure I learned in my apprenticeship, the poaching of fish:  The fillets would be placed in a buttered sauteuse, perhaps a garnish added, and "liquid" (wine or fumet or stock) added, the sautesue covered...
  YOUR POST IS A CLASSIC EXAMPLE OF WHY CULINARYT SCHOOLS SHOLULDN'T ADMIT STUIDENTS WITHOUT ANY PRIOR WORKING EXPERIEICE.  COULD YOU PLEASE SHOW THIS THREAD AND YOUR RESPONSE TO YOUR SCHOOL'S RECRUTING AND AMIN STAFF? thanks ever so much....
Whaddya mean "Europe"??? The only two countries left in the world that don't use the metric system are the U.S. and Liberia. Well..... Nobody's really sure about N. Korea.....
My impression?   It's nothing more than poaching, that's all.   I don't think it saves labour, money or time, as you have to factor those three items into getting the product into the bag and prepared before you can re-thermalize it.   It makes sense for larger items, which was what it was invented for-- originally to poach foie gras with a minimum of wieght loss.  Then the Euros figured it was a good way to heat up mass production food  for hospitals and prisons...
You have to mix the powder into warm cocoa butter, let it solidify, then warm up again. You can control the "vibrancy" by adding more colour.
Somehow that seems so..... fitting.  That's the word I'm looking for. Makes you wonder who picked it up, rinsed it off, and sold it to a buddy --or Boss......