or Connect

Posts by foodpump

I dunno... Usually, I get a student from a c.c. for two weeks twice a year, this is the last hurdle for them before graduating. Now, I dont cook anymore, its exclusively chocolate and confectionary, and the students are pastry and baking, not cooks. Its also a very small kitchen, and its one on one with the student all the time. Most of my experiences with the students have been pretty positive. I show them what I want, I demo, I get them to demo back, I watch, then...
Lemme guess, the Mom licked her fingers clean afterwards? Thats what bathrooms are for, running water, paper, and more importantly, a garbage can.
First,Lets define what your definition of "Chef" involves...
Whatever/whoever pays what you ask for.  Supermarkets, schools, fundraisers, are also clients.  Restaurants/cafes are a lousy bet. if they have a freezer and a convection oven, sooner or later they'll go to frozen.  If not, they'll bake at home and bring it to work......
Huh?Read the labels, butter is usually around 82%butterfat, sour cream is anywhere from 14-25% butterfat.
Andrew, You have to ask yourself why mngmt.would want to entrust the entire kitchen to someone with less than a year's experience. This is not meant to hurt or insult you. Most, if not all owners would want to see your performance as a Chef, that is to say your food cost and your labour cost of your previous or current job before considering you. Once again, be curious as to why mngmt is offering you this.....
yup I don't cook with wine, I cookWe have very funny liquor laws in Canada..... The salted wine crappola was a way to get around paying the liquor taxes on cooking wine. And the prov. gov'ts here slap up to 125% taxes on booze. I remember when it came in 4qt jugs with a screw cap. Mind you this was in the early '80's when there was no wine industry to speak of in Canada.Up untill a few years ago I could get decent 40% pastry booze (brandy, orange, coffee, kirsch,...
If you want to keep the ice crystals small, you need inverted sugar, available in tubs from your bakery supplier. Honey is a form of inverted sugar and will do the trick quite well, but it isn't vegan......
1 Every municipality has different requirements and health depts., they should be able to give you their criteria. 2 Why build a place from scratch? Kitchens need infrastructure---very expensive infrastructure. The biggest one is kitchen ventilation and exhaust. Putting this in can get very involved and very expensive. Then there's the plumbing, you will be required to have so many sinks, and they all need to be hooked up to a grease trap, this can get very expensive...
Wonder if that idea of " you cant get anything out of me if I dont have anything" is still valid when mom of six wants to take a shower and wash her hair in the Woman's Correctional Facility? She shoulda taken the plea......