or Connect

Posts by foodpump

The general "feeling" from the post is that the o.p. is genuinely interested, and is quite serious about his schooling. It seems the o.p. wants the instructor to critique his cooking, and to "hover" or walk about amongst the students during the cooking  and preparing stages of the class.  In other words, feedback from a professional's point of view, as well as constructive criticism.  Again,I view this as someone who is genuinely concerned about his schooling.  I do have...
O.K. Thanks for the information   My question is, how do you/ your company make money? Straight out flat fees, or something else?
I don't know about any of this...right now I don't even know what "apprenticeship" means. When I did mine, it was a 3 year contract, with 3 signing parties. 8hrs classroom time per week, and work, work, work the rest of the time. At the workplace, of course, there was no cooking at school. Anyhoo... I call the bluff with a lousy Chef threatning to give everyone fail/0 grades if complaints against him were lodged in DC 1346's scenerio. If such a thing were to happen,...
About two years into my catering business, I found out the hard way I had plantar fascitis, or basically, inflamed feet. Saw a well respected sports podiatrist who told me the only real way to deal with it was to sit on my azz for a min. of 3mths, maybe longer. Lets just say, I spent almost 5 years of painful, really sh*tty working hours (60-90 hrs/wk) . Nerve blockers dealt with pain, but did not stop the pain from happening. I could walk over a 2x4 and not even know...
Well... You can control both top and bottom heat, or rather the intensity of the heat.   The better ones you can control the front 1/3 (where you open the door) for heat loss   A steam vent that you can control   The better ones have a stone deck, the cheaper ones an all steel deck at least 3/16" thick (no sheet metal)   A pizza oven is made to just run at 450-550 with not much control, and the cheaper ones don't run very well at temps lower than 450
I worked in Switzerland from the mid 80-s to the early 90-s, things might have changed since then, but I haven't heard otherwise.   Most places worked a split shift--that is, from 9-ish to 1:30-ish, a break, then 5-ish to 10-ish.  A good chef would always stagger the shifts by a few hours for each cook, but basically split shifts were the norm for just about every place in continental  Europe.   Seasonal work was never frowned upon.  Europe has its fair share of...
Jake,   I don't mean to be snarky or anything like that.  But when I make a suggestion--online or otherwise, it's based on my actual experience with that particular ingredient/technique or tool.  I do this because it's the kind of suggestion I would ask for if I were in that position.  Hope you understand. 
Well.... I use/ made the wheel cutter for a number of reasons--about 5,890, plus taxes.  I still don't do enough volume to warrant the purchase of a guitar, but when I do, it's a no-brainer.  I use this mentality all the time for major purchases, a $7,000 Hobart 30 qt, a $6,000 table top dough sheeter, a $3000 reach in freezer.    The thing with this type of manual wheel cutter is that it is easy to clean, just hold it under the spray gun and hose it off.  The wheels get...
Logic and experience state that if you have individual moving wheels cutting through a sticky mass, you will need "combs" or a dedicated scraping assembly for each wheel.  Small wheels cutting through a sticky mass will require an astonishing amount of torque, may I suggest trying to cut slices from a  4" square block of cheddar with a wimpy home style electric slicer as a comparison?   Not saying your idea won't work, but if the O.P. is producing, say... 8 sheet pans...
The cutters I use. They will only work on a flat cutting board. Flat, since most sheetpans are usually "slumped" or caved in in the middle, and since all the wheels are the same size, it won't cut properly if the sheetpan isn't flat. A cutting board, because in order for the wheels to cut properly, they need to "bite" slightly into something softer than the material of the wheel. Sanitizing? Hose the cutter off with a spray gun and toss it in a 350 oven for about ...