or Connect

Posts by foodpump

Don't know if that is romantic B.S. or just plain B.S. advertising huey. Clothes don't make the man, and knives don't make a "Chef". The soul of a good cook can be judged by what they put on a plate: Choice of ingredients, presentation, and choice and execution of various techniques.  That'll tell me what the "Soul" of a good cook is. Look, it's great that you're buying a knife with the first money you earned in the kitchen.  I did it, everyone else has done it too.  But...
I'll second the opinion on Victorinox.   These are inexpensive knives, but not cheap.    The quality is there, which is why I feel they are "Best bang for the buck".    They are workhorses, and I have several which I use on a daily basis for well over 20 years now.   I have bought them and given them to my close relatives--they get abused horribly, tossed down garbauretors, used as bottle openers, and every time I get invited over for dinner I bring my sharpening...
Small boutique hotel, Chef and Maitre D' were both very French.  The guy could not organize, never worked more than 30 hrs a week, never showed up on Fri or Sat nights, but the guy couldn't organize a traffic jam.  I remember one day, just before lunch service the Chef comes up to me and asks me how fast I could get out a cake, I tell him an hour, tops.  He needs a custom, life sized cake in the shape of a guitar, and he needs it before 3:00.  Oh, and it has to be enough...
Hi Luis,   I really think that culinary schools should not accept students without any previous working experience.  Your question explains my feelings to the "T".   I don't know what you mean by "Chefs", as this is N. America and everyone has a different interpretation of what a "Chef" is.   In Lagom's case he is supervising 40+ staff, which is what I consider a "Chef"  to be--a manager.   After culinary school you will discover that employers be looking for working...
I've worked with many women in the kitchen, I've had several female Chefs, one female F & B, several female owners.  None of them ever had the need to point out that they were woman and I was a man.   The other observation I made--regardless if they were male or female, is that the ones in supervisory positions, or the ones moving into supervisory positions knew enough to not make statements like "I'm much better than him/her". 
Typical banquet hall....  They'll try whatever it takes to make a buck.   You can raise your prices 10% to cover the kickback, but that's a decision not to taken lightly.   You can also throw the ball back to the bqt facility and ask them to guarantee you "X" amount of business per month for earning their "commission".  That's a nice way of telling them to (blank) off, because they will never guarantee such a thing.  Still it's a nice way of getting out, gives you a...
Well, since there is no water in chocolate, the sugar in your 60% has not dissolved, it is in a very fine powdered form, but not in  solution.  Add this to your water and sugar, and there is a good possibility of graining or crystalizing .   Try subbing 10% of your sugar with a doctor like corn syrup, honey, molasses, or brown sugar.   H T H
Based on the principle of a broken clock still tells time accurately twice a day for one minute, yes, you will encounter racist, anti-feminist s.o.b.'s in the hospitality industry.  However, I don't think you should be experiencing this at school, especially when you pay for it.   That being said, you are just a few years older than I am, and so you should be that much more cynical than I am.  While reading your post my immediate thought was:"What does this guy take with...
Gruetzi-wohl!   Were abouts in Switzerland are you?
 Funny...  Y'know just last week the corner store next to me got a fine from City Hall for not removing graffiti, so they had to act.  Rather than removing the spray paint, they covered it up with more paint.  Except that it didn't match the original paint job, and they only gave it one coat, so the graffiti bled through. If it wasn't so butt-ugly, it would be--to use some one else's description--Hilarious.....