or Connect

Posts by foodpump

To amaze and disgust family and friends, Peel a bannana, push your index finger into the tip of the bannana and continue to push. The bannana will magically split into 3 equal long segments. Perfect for bannana splits.....
Having never worked with Japanese knives, I'll take your word for it.   However, what I see on the website of the knife we are discussing, is that the blade material is of a consistent thickness right up to the hollow grind.  In other words, there is no tapering of the blade thickness, and the hollow grind is a very cheap method of reducing the blade thickness in order to get an edge.  This is the same method that Cutco uses for their stuff.  I also do not see any polish...
A hollow grind is produced by a round grindstone.  Say you have a 8" grindstone on a bench grinder.  When you lay your item on the toolrest and grind, the wheel's circumference will grind a "hollow" or dip.  For many woodworkers this is a desirable effect, as it makes honing the tool on stones easier and faster.  However, for kitchen knives this is NOT desirable, and you will NOT see hollow grinds on any commercial kitchen knife, regardless of the price range. What Phatch...
Like Phatch says, it will wedge like crazy. Hollow grind, and no taper in the thickness of the blade are hallmarks of a cheap knife.
I dunnoo....   If it were me, after 10 years not in the business, I'd go and work for someone for at least a few months before I took the plunge.  The benefits are:   -Chance to refamiliarize yourself with suppliers, products, and prices. -"                                                        " staffing, what's available, what they expect, what you expect -Chance to network with people in the business.  You're not going to hear about leasing a turn-key place from...
I dunno, try the instructors at Kelsey.  Each Prov. has their own rules for the red seal, and their own series of questions.  Like I said in the above post, google the I.T.A. and find the chapter in Sask.,there should be a lot more info on their website.   Gov't jobs?  Usually all union.   Kiss a** to get a p/t shift, kiss some more and wait by your phone for the on-call shifts, and maybe in as few as 5 years you can actually get 3 0r 4 consecutive 160 hr mths to qualify...
The usual thing to do is to contact places you want to work, and ask them if they have positions available.   In S'pore, I had opportunity to work with many muslim professionals.  The general attitude was, if it was part of the job, they would do it.  The head butcher, for example would produce a lot of sausage and forcemeats.  He'd go precisely by recipie, get the Exec or Exec Sous to try a bit, then continue.  Same with the pastry guys, they'd scale out "X" amount of...
Q:  How do you hold servers accountable to standards, if you have no standards to hold them too?   We've been down this path many, many times.  There is nothing in the U.S. nationally to declare what a server should know or be capable of.  Nor is there, for that matter, any standards for what a cook should know or be capable of.   And to trump the two above items, no standards for what a restaurant owner/operator should know or be capable of      How then, do...
For me, one of the most important things is how the critic/reviewer is compensated for his/her work.......   If the critic is paid by a publisher or website, then I will take the time to read the review.   If the critic makes no mention of how he/she is compensated, I ignore it.   For a small operator like me, I get requests frequently from reviewers wanting to write about me.  Why do they e-mail me first?  Because they want to eat for free, that's why.  I always...
Well, yeah, all of that you wrote above is true Billy. W Thing is, Chef looses all credibility and any respect he earned when he gets into a fight with a serverin front of customers, and tosses a sheetpan at her