or Connect

Posts by foodpump

6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other....   Gas or electric doesn't really have an effect.  Now the TYPE of oven, the insulation, the deck material, the crown, the doors, etc. all have an effect.   Gas *usually* has a quicker recovery time, but again, the brand and type of oven can make a huge difference.   Electric ovens *usually* don't need venting or to use valuable space under the hood of the kitchen exhaust system
Thank you for your honest post, you have already made some friends on this thread and have earned quite a bit of respect.   Like the others have said, you gotta leave.    But wait!  How,  and when you leave is very important.   First things first, dust off your resume and get it up to date, then start looking for places that interest you.  DO NOT QUIT OR THREATEN TO QUIT during this time, don't tell anyone other than your friend. Smile, nod, work, and in your spare...
Easy.   CDP = Chef de Partie   That is, one who is in charge of a station, ie: Entremetier, garde Manger, Saucier, Pattissier, poissonier, rotissieur, and tournant.  In charge, responsible, supervising any members under him/her. Takes orders from the Sous or the Chef   Commis = Junior member of the brigade, who has completed his/her apprenticeship, but is not in charge of a station and does not have any members to supervise.
I dunno, Etherial..   Owners are kinda funny, they have this overwhelming need to make money--you know, cover the payroll, rent, creditors, etc.   Kitchens can be very romantic, I guess, but I see the commercial kitchen in only two ways:   -The first is potential.  The kitchen has the potential to earn some serious bucks.  Matter of fact, most owners have already calculated the potential, included it in thier business plan/proposal, and are gambling that this...
  They want work experience.  If you say you can grill a steak med-rare, the employer wants you to grill 100 steaks med-rare without any re-cooks.  If you say you can do the salad station, the employer just wants to make sure that you have all ingredients and equipment necessary, and they want salad plates to come out without any supervision. That's what employers want....
Hi cooksalot,   I tend to look at things from a different angle, mainly because of career and school choices I made 30 -odd years ago.   I grew up in Canada and have had a fairly typical view of schooling:  A culinary school would teach you all you needed to know, and then you went to work, education complete and finite.   And then I went to Europe and got "indoctrinated" to a whole different mind set.  Firstly, no one really serious about cooking professionally went...
Meh... every time I "burn the midnight oil", I always get stopped on my way home by a VW bus full of bikini clad co-eds looking for a "private Chef" to cook for them.....
Can we bring back the Cutco thread?   Pleeeze?   The last sales rep didn't answer my response yet.....
Hi Pioneer,   I have explained what hollow grounds are , and why tapering blade thickness is so important in previous Cutco posts.  However, I will explain again.   Most engineers will agree that the two most important inventions are the wheel and the wedge.  We'll discuss the wedge in this post.   Anyone who cuts firewood can tell you there is a huge difference between a splitting axe and a felling, or cutting axe.  A splitting axe has a very "fat" or wide "V" shape...
Yeah, I read the article on another website, a lot of people mooted the idea if it was actually genuine or not.   But, even as the owner of a small chocolate and pastry shop, I see a lot of people staring at their phones while seated at the table.   On the other hand....   I'm starting to see a lot more computers integrated into dining room tables, like, the menu is only accessible via the computer, you can only call the server via the computer.  Whatever that is, it...