Posts by foodpump

And the exact opposite for Wayne Gretzky, fantabulous hockey player; lousy, short lived coach.
Trick question. If the place has sufficient employees, and the chef can't cook, but can manage the kitchen properly, then Yes, s/he is the Chef. If the place has only one or two other cooks, and the chef is a lousy cook, then No, s/he isn't, since the chef has to cook, and you can't have a succesfull kitchen if you have lousy food.
How can a chef be a bad cook?   Easy   Relative owns a place, gets cheffy in, and either cheffy is good with numbers and makes money for the place, or cheffy has really good leadership/hr skills, and still manages to make money for the place.  I've worked in a few places like that, hotels as a matter of fact.   You gotta remember Chef Bah/culinary student, that a restaurant is a business.  It (restaurant) has no affiliations with charities or non profit businesses. ...
I taught both of my kids to make omelettes, before they were 12 yrs old. They can make rolled, stuffed, frittatas, and can even poach eggs beautifully. Does this make them "Chefs"? I dunno, never gave ' em food and labour costs to keep under 22%.....
Quite a lot of statements you made there, where do I start? If its about salaries, the rule of thumb ( according to employers, who supply the kitchens, the staff, and the food) is, the more employees a Chef has to look after, the more responsibility, and threrefor the higher pay. Thus, the person in charge of three kitchens, (main, banqueting, fine dining) and responsible for supplying 4-6 f & b outlets is not only a true "exutive chef" (one who is in charge of multiple...
My background is completely different.I did a 3 year cook s apprenticeship, same curriculum for cooks in the whole country (switzerland) with no deviation in the curriculum throughout the country except for the language it was taught in.Some benefits were that no matter where you worked, a julliene or a chiffonade was pretty much the same. There was also no confusion about titles. This has no influence on creativity or indivualism, but it sure makes working with others a...
Ah, Well the guy doing your brakes, he could kill you and many others if he's not carefull, right? Same with the plumber putting in a new furnace, or the electrician re wiring a house. And a cook? Has the power to make a memorable meal, a mediocre one, or to poison, maim, or even kill if their not carefull. Thats why.
Ah ys, the food police.At the moment, there are no qualifications for our trade. None. Keine, Nada. Because of this, countless culinary schools pump out "chefs" every 11 mths, there is noqualications to design the curriculum on. Because there is no benchmark or qualification, the wages in our profession suck--royaly. Because the money sucks, we aren't attracting and more importantly retaining the people we need. Because of this there is an enormous amount of...
Depends, Usually hotels are union. Usually unions function on one, and only one thing:SENIORITY Doesn't matter if the senior is a chronic alcoholic, stealing, and spending most of fhe time in his personal stall in the john, he gets 40 hrs a week, the new guy gets a shift or two. Thats seniority. It used to be, that if you can manage to get 40 hrs/week for 3 consecutive months, you get a pay bump. After 9 consecutive months you get full time status. Like I said, the...
Yeah, I guess... Thing is, if we want a title for our trade, we're gonna need some qualifications. Then, too, culinary schools should have some kind of a national standard and qualification to base their course syllabus on. Of course, if that were to happen, employers could base a meaningful salary on the qualification. Just like most of the other trades..... Who are earning meaningfull salaries..... 'Course, most of continental Europe has been doing this for cooks...