or Connect

Posts by foodpump

I wrote this on another thread, but it is worth repeating here.   If you stick a probe anywhere in a pot of boiling water, you'll get the same reading anywhere you stick the probe.   With thick, viscous liquids, you'll get different readings depending where you stick the probe: Closer to the bottom will be higher than closer to the surface.  If your hot plate is 6" dia.  and your pot is 8" in dia. you'll get different (cooler) readings closer to the edge of the pot...
Could be a cheap-er cornstarch or even a potato/cornstarch blend causing the trouble.  Looking back, what brands of cornstarch did you use?   I was taught to further cook the pastry cream another 2-3 minutes over very low heat once it thickens so all of the starch granules had burst open.  Even with lumps, the "proper" thing to do was to push the pastry cream through a sieve once cold to remove lumps--this also makes it easier to fold in whipped cream or other...
Talk with Chef Stacey @NWCA, she should be able to let you have a good look around the place.
Beat those eggs!  Whip 'em until pale yellow and almost triple in volume.  The foam should be fairly stiff before folding in the flour.
  I dunno.... I have trouble with this post. 1) Recky, the O.P. is in Germany, a.k.a. Deutschland, why would he want to cook "with a French country style flair"? 2) "keep the menu small but simple with three ingredients at the most"  Say what?  Three ingredients per dish?  Three ingredients for the whole menu?  Even if you have a protein, a starch, and a veg for a dish, you'll need at least three ingredients per component of that dish. 3) Sous vide... the guy hasn't got...
"Best" is a nasty word, subjective, really.   School is like a piggy bank:  You can only get out of it what you put into it.  If you stuff your piggy bank with buttons, IOU notes, and foreign coins, that's what you will get when you open it up.   My personal opinion is that you should really work a year or so in the industry before going into a culinary school.  Not only would this allow you to "feel out" if culinary life is right for you before plunking down your...
Of course! I've worked in many places that had a some kind of a bain-marie rig on the flat top and still had "real estate" to cook burgers.  One place I worked at  had the pasta pot on the flat top to re-heat the pasta.  One caveat:  The water will boil and evaporate much faster, so you will have to replenish the water more often.  If the flat top is on a "low" setting you can hold items like sauced pasta, risotto, glazed vegetables, etc, in their pots and pans for 5 or so...
Nope.  If anything, you'll crack the meat grinder housing, because it's plastic and will eventually fatigue and crack the one time you leave it in the d/washer for longer than 10 minutes.  I fixed mine with JB-weld 5 years ago and I still use it about 3 times a week.  I don't grind much meat, but a lot of dried fruit, which is much tougher.  My 5 qt Costco Special has been used and abused on a dialy basis for over 5 years now--breads, doughs, grinding, and even an...
Oh yeah, been using the K.A. attatchment for years, no problems there.  Can the local bakery do frozen par-baked buns or frozen pre-proofed buns?  That way you can take out a few, bake them off, and if you need more, it's only a few minutes to bake off a few more.
I guess it all depends on what was negotiated before you were hired.  If nothing in regards to creative choice or plating was negotiated, then the "Default" goes to the Chef.   Gazing into my crystal ball (all right, it's a 60 watt light bulb...) I see/forecast the following scenario about to happen very soon:   -G.M. does the payroll, finds it a bit too much, goes back and does a calculation or two, and decides that the pastry dept isn't worth the amount of  money it...