Posts by foodpump

Oh geez.... Thirty years ago I was a lowly apprentice and one of my many duties was to keep the copper cookware shiny. Now, there was a "secret recipie" of salt, vinegar and flour that you used as a polishing past, and it did work well. Since I was always loaded up with more important tasks that involved actual cooking I cleaned the copper the "lazy way" I'd fill a sink (or steam kettle) one third full of water, add in a salt brine and vinegar. Sometimes I 'd use...
I remember my time in Singapore in the 90's. Pork was never refrigerated in the open markets, chicken neither, goat and lamb were always frozen and hung invariably, under a naked 100 watt lightbulb. Fish was kept on ice. Singapore is by no means a 3rd world country, and has infrastructure and industry that puts most western countries to shame. I always faced the challenge of thawing meats there. For some reason no cook in S'pore at that time could get past the...
O.k., how does higher heat translate into better flavour extraction? Most flavours are extracted at temps below the boiling point, heck even distillation occurs below the boiling point of water.Just curious, there's always something new to learn, and I'm the first to admit I don't know everything.
Hi Danny, Any merchant that pays 2.9% per transaction either has to jack up their prices, or get themselves committed. Like I said, the going rate here is 1.8-2% for Visa/MC Not many Canucks use Amex. Customers, that is, as well as merchants. The average American tourist carries at least Visa as well as Amex, and same for the Canucks. I've been doing business for well over 23 years now, I don't turn away businesss, I look for inteligent options.
Hey Bro Tyang,   If you read the posts and threads on this subject, then you must have read the one standard piece of advice I have given everyone who asked about the very thing:   Get a job in the kitchen.  Yes you will be washing dishes, maybe plating salads. So what?  Every one of us has started out this way.  Work for a few months, see if you like it.    Benefits of this "tactic"  are: -No money spent -No student loans -Money earned -Practical work experience...
Lets look at the materials first, ok.?   Copper Pros: Excellent heat responsiveness Doesn't warp   Cons: Expensive Needs constant maintainence (cleaning oxidization inside and out) reacts with acidic ingredients   Aluminum Pros: Excellent heat conductor Cheap like borscht   Cons. Warps faster than the USS Enterprise (unless its cast aluminum) Needs constant maintainence (cleaning oxidization) Reacts with acidic ingredients (Caveat:  Never stir  a...
Question:   Did H.R. talk with you in detail about this event before the firing?  You were a witness, as were others.     I dunno, but if I were HR, I'd can both of them, girly-girl for flinging f. fries about the place, as well as the other guy......
Nope.  If you can run every station fairly well you become a very valuable little pinch  hitter.    For example:  Pastry guy not up to snuff?  Turf him out, install you there for a few weeks while Chef hires a new one, and you can train him/her up, then you get moved on to another dept. or back to rotating each dept. on the regular guy's day off.
Well Vancouver--especially Surrey, has one of the highest proportions of Indians in N. America.  Lots of Indian restaurants, lots of banqueting facilities specializing in Indian weddings.    O.T.O.H. Getting a work visa is a hassle, more so for the employer than the employee.   
O.K., how will culinary school make up for "lack of professional experience"?   If there's one thing most employers can agree on, its the fact that culinary schools do not provide the repetition needed to master a certain skill