or Connect

Posts by foodpump

The classic machine used for making almond flour, and which was found in many Euopean bakeries, is the roller. This is a simple machine made with two marble rollers, and you adjust the gap between these rolers with each pass. I have never seen this machine in north america, don't know why, but I have never seen it here.
Yes Pete, I did acknowledge that barley does contain gluten in my second sentence. I know this because the milk chocolate I use contains barley malt extract and I have to declare this on all of my packaging that this is not gluten free. I also have to declare that my bars containing ONLY dark chocolate and buckwheat honey is not vegetarian. But thats another story..... I know a few people who do have Celiacs, and I understand the implications of gluten and wheat...
I'm a cook, not a brewer, but isn't beer made with barley?  If so, I'm pretty sure barley does contain gluten.   And isn't cider made with apples?  No gluten, right?  Like in the old days when olive oil was advertised as "cholesteral free".   Gluten has been around for centuries, as has bread, and pasta.  It is not evil, won't make you fat or stupid.   That being said, bromated flour has only been around for a few decades.  Bromated flour gives incredible volume to...
Bib aprons and double breasted chef's coats. I guess you could always try Scotchguard, but I doubt it could survive the washing machine.
Waterproof garments that lay directly on your skin  = trapping sweat behind that garment, leaving you with a cold, clammy and uncomfortable feeling.  That, and your clothes start to smell very quickly.....
I'm still trying to wrap my head around this post.   I love to give out advice, and my advice (as with almost everyone else) is based on experience in the field.  While I know from experience precisely what the City of Vancouver wants in terms of plumbing, electrical, and health concerns, l have no idea what municipality you are in and what "quirks" your municipality has.  For instance, I know most municipalities in the state of Cal. insist on some kind of weird-azz...
Naw, ceviche isn't "cooked", citrus acid turns proteins opaque, but no heat is involved, so by definition it is not cooked. Don't know what the culinary term is for the tchnique you asked is though.
Well.....If you believe everything you read on-line, then have I got an investment  opportunity for you!   Fun aside, Yes there are poorly run places, just as there are poor performing employees.  But "poorly run" is an opinion, not a fact.  Last month I fired a waiter for running off to the john every 20 minutes--with his cell-phone.  He argued like a lawyer possessed, but I pointed out to him that people have been relieving themselves without the help of a phone for...
Of course! My usual way is to lay paper towel or rags on the entire surface, saturate this with bleach, flip it over and do the same, then shove the whole mess in a garbage bag with a half cup of bleach for extra measure, over night. Probably the only way that I know of that gets stong smells (onions, garlic) or colours like beet juice out for good. Oh, and plain bleach, none of that scented stuff.....
l dunno. I've had great success running my nylon boards through a thickness planer, comes out baby-butt smooth.(well, that is if the planer knives aren't chipped...) Matter of fact, I've made a side income of sorts, getting employers nylon cutting boards and resurfacing them at $10 for large boards and 5 for the smaller ones on my Dads old Delta 12" thickness planer. Sushi chef have been known to take a clothes iron tontheir nylon cutting boards and "iron out" the...