or Connect

Posts by foodpump

According to the article, lady was warned, then given an option of a plea. She refused. Was shevreallybthinking of her 6kids?
Nope. Basically, you have only two types of leavening, chemical and mechanical. Chemical is pretty obvious, baking pwdr, baking soda, and yeast all form gas. When you beat eggs or eggwhites, you increase the volume by adding air. If you fold this into a batter or dough and bake, the trapped air expands as it is heated. Thats mechanical leavening. Bannanas and baking soda? No idea....
Meh, I get enough pyschology and anthropology in hiring, training, and working with staff. Exposure to new languages, cultures and customs? Yup. New communication skills? Here's a new concept I learned just before I fired the person, you ready? "If you can't read my mind, that must mean you don't like/respect me, and if you can't do that, why should I bother working for you? What a concept! So when I have free time, I lock myself in the garage and I...... ...Make...
Any successful pastry shop or bakery will tell you that bread and butter come from wholesale accounts. The front cash register doesn't make money, or iif it does, it just barely covers costs. So, in answer to your question, yes you can have a cashier. But who will supervise the cashier? If this person is your partner--either business or personal, or better yet, both business and personal partner, yes. It will work. If this person is someone you pay $14/hr and plead...
It seems Parallax hasn't posted anywhere on this site for a while. Odd, because at first it seemed like he had an opinion on just about everything, and now...nothing.
Meh.... Every place I worked we had an old menu or a photocopy of the menu taped up on the wall. In cases like the o.p.'s, I would go down the menu description with the other cook, and verbally check off the description. "so, we have chocolate mousse, check. We got the chocolate wall, check, creme anglaise, yup. Wait a minute, it says creme anglaise with Drambui, have we got that?" No ruffled feathers, no hurt egos, just lets get the menu items done according to the...
Depends where you were hired/signed on. If in the U.S. you get paid u.s. $, not a lot, they charge for room and board, but you don't pay ANY taxes. However, if you signed on in the Phillipines or Ivory Coast, your salary would be much, much, much lower than the guy hired in N.America or Europe, even if your jobs are identical. Look, working on a ship is not romantic or awe inspiring. People work there for two reasons, firstly work experience, and secondly those with...
Or, you could seriously screw up the service, cost the owner lost business, cost him even more in comps, resulting in only getting your ass fired, but getting blacklisted for every restaurant in a 20 mile radius.
You need to take note: Most cruise lines offer a 3 mth contract.  You will be working typically 12 hrs every day, there are no days off.  You will get 4-5 hrs shore  leave, provided you don't have to stay on board to work.  Most likely you will bunk 4 to a cabin.   You will fear/hate/ loathe the words "Norwalk" or "Norovirus"   On the other hand, bevvies for the crew are pretty cheap......
No, no, no.   Of course you aren't talking out of your hiney, and that's why I didn't copy and paste your post.    The "other guy" did, and that's why I'm quoting him and addressing that as soon as I see it.   Yours is a legitimate, practical question and it deserves a legitimate, practical, answer, I hope you found my explanation clear.