Posts by foodpump

Hi Chef Sammie....   After 30-odd years in this biz, the best advice I can give you and your  friend is this:   A smart person does not defecate in his/her own back yard. This is pretty self explanatory, right?   and,   If you want freebies, you are expected to return freebies back.   The bartender who provides you free bevies will eventually want a nice meal in return, none of that staff meal crap, but a nice cut of prime rib or the like. If this becomes a...
That information came a little too late for my liking. So you're telling me people are leaving the walk in door partly open? Any reason for this? In a perfect world how would you adress the problem? Me, without "powers of discipline" would verbally harass fellow employees for being inconsiderate, not thinking, potentially spoiling thousands of dollars worth if food, being too weak to close a door, etc., running after them and telling them you forgot to close the...
It is.Did you adress the problem of ice forming on the door seal before it became such a problem that the Chef had to take a hammer to it? Do you know that if the seal on the door staets leaking serious warm air into the freezer, thec coil will plug with ice so bad that the defrost cycles can't handle it, the compressor overheats and shuts down, and the the temp rises
The reason the gasket was plugged with ice is because either the electric gasket warmer (imbedded in the door frame) isn't working, or the gasket isn't sealing properly (ripped or torn) and leaking warm, moist air into a sub zero chamber, causing ice to form. Maybe the gasket needed replacing a long time ago, the owner putting it off constantly, and the Chef finally beating the ice off with a hammer, wishing it was the owner he was beating on...
Hmm, interesting. Never used c.o.t. in caramel before. Wonder if it would work out cheaper than corn syrup in the batch cost.....
No, no, no. Server was pushing food before the previous course was finished, not clearing off dishes. The establishment the o.p. dined at was a'la carte service, not buffet or dim sum, hence the various courses, and the expectations to enjoy those courses before the next one comes.
I don't know if I'd react any differently from Ross's explanation. Our 19 yr old f/t student is a mercenary. That is, they come into a place to earn cash, leave after a few months, and only come back again for cash. Can't really blame them, but then again a server with more experience would realize happy customers eat and drink more, driving up the guest check amount, which directly relates to better tips, But thats what education is for right? Manager probably has...
Gold, silver, etc refers to the bloom strength ofthe gelatin, with platinum having the highest bloom strength, and bronze having the lowest. Platinum sheets are small compared to bronze. The gelling power of each sheet is the same, its just that there's less required to do the same job with the higher grades. Does this make sense?
Rosemary, red wine, and chicken are a great combo. Thyme, lemon, chicken, and white wine are pretty good. Star anise is a "pig", it wants the spotlight all to itself and doesn't blend well with much except other spices, or by itself with chicken
Eh, no corn syrup is not "just sugar", a.k.a. sucrose. Corn syrup will never crystalize, whereas saturated and supersaturated sugar syrups will. It is because of this specifically that corn syrup is addec to caramels to prvent crystalization.