or Connect

Posts by foodpump

Here's what I read into your post, TVB, Your club has an expensive kitchen and diningroom, but isn't using these faciities regularily even though its May and tommorow is mom's day Your Chef is on an on call basis,which means both chef and the club don't take his job seriously The bar is functioning on a daily basis which is probably all the club really cares about. Club is basically throwing the whole F &B operation at you, even though you have no practical restaurant...
I've been bleating this for years now, and it is just as true, and pertains to this thread as it has ten years ago The culinary industry needs a benchmark or standard for what a cook should know and be capable of. If we had this--as many other trades do, as the European cooks do, we could avoid the following problems: -Instant chefs. No qualification, you can't use the title, doesn't matter how much youtube you watch -Culinary schools can actually base their...
I'm kinda in agreement with chefbill on this. I also have encountered very fierce opposition when I charged a service fee in my catering biz, customers and servers took it to the labour board. Being a Canuck, I profess ignorance to your states' labour laws, but wasn't it Calif. that declared any tips were the sole benifit of the waiter? If you want fair wages for cooks you need a national gov't recognized standard/qualification, like almost every other trade and...
The thing with d/w chemicals is that they are all liquid, making it fairly easy to dilute with water. Thus, a detergent could have many concentration levels, it all depends on who is distributing the product and how much they are watering it down beforevthey bottle it. The machines are easily calibrated to dispense a required amount of chemical, but it is the concentration of the chemical that dictates the amount dispensed. What I am trying to say is that weaker...
I have worked in a number of high end hotels in Europe, and the general rule of thumb is that the higher reputation of the place, the lower the salary. Thus, you use your work experience at the Michelin star place as a negotiating tool for the next job. Basically, employers pay according to work experience. Hope this helps
To be honest, I never read the whole thing. After the first few sentences I start to wander and look for a paragraph break. No paragraphs and too many run-on sentences, and I just skim to the end.
What are you? An owner, without actually owning the business. Other than the hard labour, its not that bad--you can always walk away and no one will chase you down.
Drop chef Is the person who "drops" the fryer basket....
Basically, pros have the tools they need, and hobbyists have the tools they want.   Which might explain that every decent professional cook in N. America uses a p.o.s. aluminum saute pan that has warped to a bowl shape, with a loosey-goosey handle and rivets that dribble liquid , and can still put out wonderfull dishes.
Circles  and squares are not the same.   Its all about the surface area. A 16" round will fit on a 16" square platter, but a round has much less surface area, which means less ingredients, and your most expensive ingredient is cheese.   Do yourself a favour and scale out your pizzas, a round and a square and see how much more the difference is.   Then do the math.   Hope this helps