or Connect

Posts by foodpump

Fats absorb flavours.   Anyone who has stored unwrapped/poorly wrapped butter next to onions, or garlic, or curry, or heavily smoked foods, know that the butter will taste like that, and very quickly too.   You can avoid this, or use it to your advantage.  A lot of Chefs will store truffles in a mason jar with butter, or even eggs, to get some flavor.  When I make fruitcake, I like to blend my butter with aromatics a day ahead of time to boost the flavor, then make the...
Actually, I prefer to use the word A.Bunker* invented, "groin-a-cologist".....   Look, there is no typical Sous-Chef salary because there is no typical restaurant or typical Sous-Chef job duties.   Now, the person who works as the Chef's right hand man in a 45 seat ethnic café is a Sous chef, as is the person who works as the Chef's right-hand man in a hotel with two restaurants, one bar, and banqueting facilities for 700, with a total kitchen staff of...
oops sorry, that should be 475F, not 575
DO NOT BUY  A PIZZA OVEN FOR BAKERY USE.   Sorry about the screaming, but it's true.  Pizza ovens run best at temps around 575 F and above, downright sh*tty at lower temps.
 With all new hires--regardless of the amount of experience they have--I will walk them through a process or recipie.  For instance, say puff heads: "The dough is mixed to window pane and rested covered for at least 1 hr. Then we do two double tours with at least 20 mins rest  between, then a single, then rest overnight and the following day two doubles and you're done."   Regardless of what you have learned in school or from other employers, we do things in my kitchen my...
If it's a formal apprenticeship, then this is what I'd do.   Take the kid aside and tell him he's started a career and needs to learn as much as he can.  In this kitchen he can learn from his Mum or you, and you need and want to show him things but he needs to pay attention.  If there isn't a clock on the wall, get one, and give him duties that need to be repeated every day.  Then tell him to better his time by at least a 30 secs every day.
So, for all intents and purposes, this was your first interview for f/t cooking?   Now, don't get the idea I'm offering any advice here, but how will you handle future interviews where you are asked to do  an 8 hr shift "stage" before a decision can  be made to hire or not?
  Yes and no.  As far as I know, the US is divided into "right to work States" and not.  In the "Right to work" States, any server working in a place that gets tips is entitled to a "tipping wage" which can be as low as $2.17 /hr .  Wonder who lobbied for that prime piece of legislation?... Here in Vancouver, B.C. the minimum wage is $10.25/hr and no tipping wages for servers other than for liquor servers, who earn , I think, a buck an hour less.  Over the border, in Wash....
Bay area, huh?   I though your previous Govenor, aka "the Govenator" made it a law that any money on the table belonged exclusively to the server, and any attempt to make the server part with said money would result in holy (deleted).   You have every right to be ticked off, but things are not going to change any time soon.  If you don't like this current state of affairs, take off your apron and put on a white shirt and black pants, or get out of the hospitality...