or Connect

Posts by foodpump

Well, yeah, that usually works in about 75% of the cases, but it didn't apply to the G & C.C. that I temped at.  That one had some, uh.. shall we say, Union difficulties?  Scuttlebutt was that if the kitchen exceeded X employees--regardless of f/t or p/t status, a Union could be formed.  Hence the decision by mngmt to hire 3rd party cooks to take up the slack.  I could have been a supermodel in a bikini and the brigade would still have given me a hard time.  Reasoning...
Exactly!   The o.p. didn't walk out on his employer--the recruitment agency, and he went straight to his boss--again the agency-- to lodge a complaint.  He did it right.   Guns for hire/rent-a-cooks are not part of the team, they are 3rd party.  It IS inexcusable to walk out on your team members, but if you're not part of the team, that rule doesn't apply.   make sense? 
Hi Chrisbristol....   Been there and done that.  What a lot of the above posters don't understand about your post are the words "Catering recruitment agency".   In other words, you are a hired gun, a cook who's disposable as paper bag.  I got an on-call gig in a hoity-toity G & C.C. for their bqt'ing dept.  0 and I mean "zero" introduction to the kitchen or even where the bqt function clip boards were kept (locked up in  the Chef's office)  No one gives a rat's turd...
Great to hear your machine is starting to "come around"!   The slight marbeling effect is caused by minute--and I mean minute temperature variations.  Part of this is how thick you pour the couverture--if it is thicker in some places, it will take longer to cool down, and it is these areas that are probably causing the marbeling.  Can you bang the finished cake in the fridge right away?  Just 4-5 minutes, enough for the couverture to get a good start on cooling...
Oh high carbon will rust--quite easily, and I don't know what "virgin steel" is, but then again, who knows what that steel is doing when no one's looking?   Taiwan's kinda unique in that it straddles the equator.  I worked for 5 years in S'pore, high heat (30-35 daily) high humidity (+- 90%rh on a dialy basis) and knives will rust even in a air conditioned climate.  I'm partial to Victorinox which is quite robust and fairly rust free.  Wiped down one knife and...
NICE WORK!!!!   How do I explain it...Ok, it's like a Slurpee or Slushee at the convenience store.  The machine keeps the mix at the right temperature, too cold and you get solid ice, too warm and you get liquid.  If the mix doesn't move constantly, it will start to harden up in the corners and eventually form a skin and harden up on top.   One quick test to see if your couverture is properly tempered that isn't temperature involved is to take a ladle or spatula and...
Yeah... well if you can't get the machine to work, send it back, and yes they are expensive.  I'm guessing the machine has separate "programs" for dark, milk, and white. Ideal temp for dark is a few degrees higher than milk--which you use. Just enough to cause streaking and light blooming  Maybe it IS the electronics/chip.   The reason why open melters that take a 1/2 or 2/3 hotel pans are so popular is surface area.  Say you want to make filled bon-bons, you have to...
Same problem with woodworkers who buy expensive chisels and store them in split leather tool rolls--they rust....
Hi Pete: Every tempering method has its caveats. The thing with mycro is you have to get your couverture to a very precise temperature in order for the mycro to work. For me, thats pretty rediculous. Remember, you need three things to temper properly: Temp. is only the first, you also need motion and time. I dunno, maybe some of the melted couverture is creeping back into the "seed" side of the baffle, and knocking the whole thing out of temper Ok, some more trouble...
O.K., lets just assume for a minute that it isn't the machine's fault.   -What temperature are the cakes you want to drizzle? -What temperature is your area where you do this?  Any warm drafts?   White streaks almost always means that your couverture is too hot, at least by 2-3 degrees.  You can have perfectly tempered couverture and still get streaks, or chocs sticking in the mold because the couverture can't cool down in time.  Technical term for this is "latent...