or Connect

Posts by rlyv

I worked in a restaurant where a three deck oven was all we had in the pastry department. We baked wedding cakes, cupcakes, everything and it was fine. I use a convection oven now, and cakes bake fine in it as well. But, it has a control for the fan to be on low, so I use that and have no issues.
Well, I don't really agree with that.While I don't have any issues using corn syrup where needed, I wanted one that wasn't so sickly sweet. Growing up in the south, I had some way over the top sweet pecan pies. The recipe I posted above had nice flavor, and didn't hurt me the way others have. It had the same curd like custard-y texture, and was pecan pie.
Well, it won't be truly white since cocoa butter is yellow. Many of the candy melt type wafers do come in white, but they are not truly chocolate (which technically, white chocolate isn't either). They have titanium dioxide in them to make them really white, and fats other than real cocoa butter. I've never seen white coloring that is oil based, which would be needed for coloring chocolate. You could search for it. There is white colored cocoa butter, but on its own,...
I really like this one I found on Eddy Van Damme's website several years ago. I think the actual web address is at the bottom. Pecan pie without corn syrup Yield: 2 – 9 inch pies 6 Large eggs 6 12 oz Water 240 g 1 lb 12 oz Medium brown sugar 840 g 1 tsp Salt 5 g 4 oz Butter, melted 120 g 1 oz Dark Rum, Cognac or Brandy 30 g 1 tbsp Vanilla extract 15 g 1 lb Pecan halves 480 g 4 oz Chocolate (58-64% cocoa mass) 120 g Line 2 pie tins with sweet tart dough and prebake....
Have you ever tried working the chocolate on a marble slab? Before I got my Rev Delta, I used to do 30lbs of chocolate that way. It's messy, but it does work. For dark chocolate, melt to 118-120F over a double boiler. Pour half onto the slab, working from the outside in and in a circle, use two scapers or offset spatulas, and work the chocolate until cool and starts to thicken slightly. I would test with the thermometer and make sure it was about 85F. Add this back to...
Any recipe you like should be able to be increased for what you need. All my cake recipes can be multiplied with no issues. I do it all the time. You could look into the Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum. She has info about it, but she will tell you that the leavenings will need adjustments as the recipe increases. I've never found that to be true though.
All those florals together are going to be too much. Start with one and build around it. Peaches are good with lavender, rose is good with either chocolate, white chocolate or raspberry, or any combination of those. Lavender in an ice cream or Creme brulee is nice. Hibiscus to me has a berry flavor, so it would work with strawberry. Maybe a hibiscus sorbet or granita made from the tea, or a sauce.
First, you won't get rich at it, so keep that in mind.  I would look into culinary school to learn the basics.  Cake decorating is all about practice.  You can find online courses and tutorials that can help with techniques, but it's all about refining skills.   Make some buttercream, get some piping bags and start practicing.  
Over the holidays, I made coconut macarons by replacing half the almond flour with unsweetened organic dried coconut from Whole Foods. I put the almond flour, coconut and powdered sugar in my Cuisinart and let it grind for a couple of minutes, then sifted.  I just tossed the pieces that were left in the sifter.  Worked fine.  
I prefer the French method.  It's how I first learned to make them.  I've made thousands using this method, and have had a few flops.  I've found a convection oven worked best for me over a still oven. I've tried the Italian method, but I personally think the shells are too hard.  Just my preference.