Posts by rlyv

Wasn't perfect for me either. Too soft I felt to hold up for tiered cakes, but that's just me. I wanted a base cake I could modify for other flavors, and I tweaked a recipe I had and was able to get my "perfect" cake. But, try it, everybody has different tastes.
They freeze great. I've frozen both the shells alone and assembled ones with no ill effects. A lot of bakeries freeze them for production purposes anyway.
I know the difference between table sugar (sucrose), glucose and fructose. Corn syrup, being an invert sugar, won't crystallize. No problem, that's why I use it.My point is that if you eat sugar, eating corn syrup is no different. People should worry about their overall consumption of any sugar if they eat too much. Eating a couple of caramels or pate de fruit that is made with glucose or corn syrup around the holidays shouldn't be the issue.And thinking agave is a...
Also, keep in mind corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup are two different things. Corn syrup is just sugar, in a different form. If you eat sugar, it's not going to be any different. HFCS has been changed enzymatically, and since it's used in so many commercial products, that's the concern. It's causing over consumption of sugar. I use corn syrup or glucose in all my caramels, and have no problem with it. Sometimes I sub about 1/3 honey in the recipe. Greweling's books...
Well, not by choice . I had to do 20 dozen decorated for a tree lighting. Probably won't be any more cookies I usually make chocolates, marshmallows, hot cocoa mix, and a few other random things each year. I usually only have a few large gifts to buy, everyone else gets food. Here's the cookies
I don't make cakes in the strip style very often, but I have made them that way for my wedding cake tasters. They need to have a double wall cake board or a foam core board under them for support. They tend to bow in the middle. Custard fillings may contribute to softening of the cake and make it less stable. That's why I don't use those type of fillings. Just too many possible problems. I think if you have a decent support underneath, they won't sink as much.
Eggs are hard to sub, but there are many cake recipes out there without eggs. I recently had to make a vegan wedding cake, and I used a recipe without any eggs at all. The only thing about it is it was very soft. No real binder without the eggs. There are a few egg substitutes out there but I haven't tried them. Aquafaba works great for a meringue, and I have seen it used in place of eggs in a cake, but I haven't tried it personally. I would cook my own chickpeas without...
It just takes practice. In looking at a close up of the picture, I would suggest getting your petals edges thinner. That will help with them being more realistic.The roses could be a little tighter in their shape. It helps to have a picture of the real flower you are making in front of you. Helps with petal placement and the overall look.Nice job though, just keep making them.
I'm not completely sure, but it could be sprayed with chocolate with a paint sprayer. It usually creates that texture you see. A mix of 50/50 cocoa butter and chocolate is used to make it fluid enough to flow through the sprayer. Then probably airbrushed for the colorful ones. I believe there is a canned product that will produce this effect without the paint sprayer investment, but I've not tried it.
Maybe just double check that your oven is calibrated to the right temp. The convection oven I use at work seems to run hotter than it says. I bake everything at 300F, and even lower it to 275F for bread pudding and some cookies. Does it have a button that controls fan speed? I also keep the fan on low. Other than that, there shouldn't be anything different you need to do to your recipes.