or Connect

Posts by rlyv

Well, I have used gelatin in certain mousses (fruit, caramel, etc) but haven't experienced a rubbery issue. When I typed that I was thinking of a chocolate mousse cake I've frozen many times, and it's made by melting chocolate with a liquid (water, coffee, juice), whipping yolks with hot honey (like pate a bombe), then folding that into the chocolate, then whipped cream.  It sets firm and freezes well.
I freeze everything if need be.  I mainly freeze layers, as I do a lot of wedding cakes.  But, I have made individual mousse cakes before, and never had a problem.  I don't put gelatin in my mousse, so I never experienced anything rubbery.
I always use almond flour, and grind it anyway.  The only thing I see is that if it's not fine enough, they are bumpy.  But, I don't think it would cause a problem with the gap.  
No it's not.  I haven't tried Laduree's recipe.  
Yeah, they can be a nightmare.  I've made them for years, and I still have days they won't work.   I'm not sure about that recipe, I have the book, but haven't tried it.  But, most of the ones I've used have more sugar than almond meal.  I know you are shooting for less sweet, but it could effect it.  I use the French method because to me it's less sweet than the Italian.  And, I feel the Italian makes a harder shell.   You could try double panning, starting the oven...
Two things that I do when making genoise is: 1. Use a balloon whisk to fold in the dry ingredients.  It helps to break up the flour lumps, and doesn't deflate the batter as much as a spatula will.   2. After folding in the dry, remove a small amount of batter (about a 1/2 cup or so), whisk that into the butter.  This lightens the butter, and makes folding it in much easier.  It also helps prevent the butter from sinking to the bottom of the bowl.   Be sure that when...
Most of the ones I have found are way overpriced.  Check out http://www.onlinemetals.com/.  I ordered 8 1/2" aluminum bars, and 8 1/4" stainless steel bars several years ago.  The aluminum is cheaper, and it seems heavy enough for my use, which is caramels. I got the 1/4" bars so I could do layered pieces, but haven't used them very much.  At the time, I lived in Seattle, so I just went and picked up my order.  Not sure what they charge for shipping, but the bars were a...
Are there any junior college's that offer culinary programs?  Years ago, I went to a 2 year college that had an ACF accredited culinary program.  Saved a ton on tuition.  I only paid $13 a unit (I know it's gone up a lot since), but at the time comparing $520 (+ equipment & books) to $50,000 for tuition, kinda speaks for itself.  Might be worth researching.
Most stabilizers are made out of different types of gums (this is the ingredient list from Cremodan 30- Mono & diglycerides, sodium alginate, locust bean gum, carrageenan, guar gum & sodium dioxide added to prevent caking.)   Carrageenan is an extract of seaweed, and guar is from the guar bean, sodium alginate from kelp or algae.  I use a stabilizer I got through Albert Uster, and it's basically the same as Cremodan.  I don't use much of it.  If I use it, I may use...
I've never heard of heating the mascarpone.  I think that is your problem.  If mascarpone gets too warm just sitting out, it will break. When I make it, after the sabayon comes off the heat, I will whip it until it cools, then add the mascarpone and beat it in.  Then I fold in whipped cream.  My recipe doesn't use egg whites.  I would guess that if you are adding everything to a hot mixture, it's causing the problems.