Posts by foody518

If you ever visit San Antonio, Rodriguez Butcher Supply stocks quality knives. I don't know if they do sharpening though.   Coarse sandpaper to round sharp edges on spine and choil   Slicing knives run narrower by design and aren't typically used as your chopping on the board knife where knuckle clearance is an important factor.   Judging a knife by its OOTB edge is a mistake IMO, considering you're buying the knife to last years and years. I didn't ever get to...
I found the Misono Swedish to patina easily on its own (did not force a patina) and not be particularly rust-prone (the patina helps it resist rust formation) 
As well as the grind
Wouldn't recommend a Takamura without verifying if the user sharpens or knows a competent sharpener to send it to. Could be liable to see chips, not just normal wear microchipping, with simple home use   Dunno how small companies like Misono or Masamoto are, tbh
Jon's great at knocking some sense and realism into those falling down the rabbit hole - trying to find a match for interest, skill,usage, and commitment. I got suuuper taken in by all the blingy Damascus cladded knives and then got some sense talked into me and went cold turkey off buying those until I had the skills and materials to keep up that type of finish. 
That's a good price. I've had good experience with fast shipping from JCK as well. Hope you enjoy the knife!
What will you use the petty for?
Chris, I'm guessing you didn't get to pick most of those knife photos too? :)   Gyuto or Chinese cleaver, >90% of the time Serrated bread knife, <5% of the time. Most bread gets cut with a gyuto anyways 3-6inch paring or petty knife, narrow and pointy profile, <5% of the time. Aranyik Thai cleaver, whenever there is a coconut   The nakiri and santoku frankly rarely see use. Rarely cut bone-in meats or portion big cuts of meat, so the slicer tends not to see use...
ChefANR - I don't have any personal experience with the Masahiro. I believe you have to contact Koki Iwahara (the man behind JCK) to ask about them since they are not on the website. Main comparison between the two is Benuser's post #8 in this thread   You'd probably want to tweak the Misono's edge out of the box. It's quite convexed (buffing?). Sharpens up easily. Though not sure what edge retention needs and or what options you have to touch up an edge during the...
I don't know of anyone in your area off the top of my head. Not sure if I even have a default Texas recommendation either besides running into a competent hobbyist or chef or something like that. Did some googling and saw 'Texas Pride Sharpening'. No clue where they finish kitchen knives though, and it doesn't say online A rough price benchmark of minimum $10 for an 8 inch blade is where I'd be looking for a good service doing hand sharpening on stones. We're talking...