Posts by foody518

@ChrisLehrer some brands are selling a double beveled "kiritsuke", one of such versions has a flatter than gyuto blade profile and a narrower/less tall blade. And has a kiritsuke style pointed tip As for a 6inch version, goodness only knows
If I *had* to buy a set of Western handled VG-10 Damascus patterned stainless in that price range, I'd probably look at something like http://korin.com/Knives/Togiharu-V10-Damascus Get a few knives that actually have different utility from others in lengths that are useful. If the recipients eat a lot of crusty bread, maybe tack on a MAC Superior bread knife or Tojiro bread knife And you can send it back to Korin for competent sharpening
Generally speaking you'd want the slicer to be a longer knife than your others so you have to do fewer sawing motions and get cleaner slices. Chefs and santoku are fairly redundant. The 3 bottom knives probably handle many of the same tasks, or at least one of those doesn't offer extra utility compared to the other 2. Tends to be a weakness of sets of more than 2 or 3 knives
Hi dnew85, welcome to cheftalk Is it likely that all 6 knives will be used? If not, instead of thinking it's a good deal for a set of X knives, think about sinking that money into 1-3 or 4 different knives which handle different tasks and will all see use How will these knives be maintained and sharpened?
Glad you got to go try some stuff.  For what it's worth, cutting tomatoes easily is at least as much about the sharpening as it is about the knife. You don't have to have a knife of the price and level we've been talking about here to easily go through tomatoes.  Longer knife helps if you have to occasionally work through larger foods (melons, really large onions or potatoes) or higher quantity at a time (large bunches of greens).   I don't really know what your stone...
I've had to put initial edges on almost all my knives, ditto for all the thinning that's been done to them so far. I didn't know until very recently that there was someone in the area who did good sharpening, so learning then doing was a necessity. These are absolutely things a home cook and developing sharpener can try to do. You won't learn how to thin a knife or set bevels except by practicing.
You're going to find some level of asymmetry in probably many of the offerings. The fact that the review says 90/10 isn't even necessarily that helpful, as it doesn't speak about whether it's same angle on both sides with a heavily displaced edge, or a acute angle one side and obtuse on the other with less of an off centered edge. It matters more to understand the blade grind and not simply the edge bevel. You get better performance as a righty using a right-asymmetric...
I wonder if some part of that also goes back to what stones were more commonly available to westerners 'back in the day', relatively speaking. There's some more stuff that will cut even tough PM High Speed Tool steels pretty quickly and easily, would hope that stuff would work on the A-steel too. Though, I could understand that thinning hardened semi-stainless monosteel could really suck
Use it well and enjoy :)
If folks are seriously looking in the $100-150 range for santoku, there are many choices...Tojiro, Fujiwara, Misono, Kanetsugu, Togiharu, JCK brand, Suien, Gesshin Uraku, etc. etc.