or Connect

Posts by Praties

Just a suggestion, but you'd probably have better luck with this in the Recipes section - http://www.cheftalk.com/f/11/recipes or even the general Food & Cooking section.  The only folks that'll see it here are those looking for reviews of cooking equipment.
Codfish cakes?  Boring and yet a comfort food.  
I don't use cooking spray, but a little dab of Crisco/shortening in the corners of the pan really helps.  You can also tear off the size sheet you need and pull it contra-curl side at an angle against the edge of the counter-top (or a table; whatever has a nice sharp edge).  It's like putting curl into wrapping ribbon, but you're pulling it the against the curl to take the curl out.  It works, but the ends are still a little curl-ish.  (And thank you auto-correct for...
I have never had a babka, so I'm no expert, but they look really tasty to me.  The rise looks good, as well.  I think you'll be getting some very positive feedback!
Swiss steak, pot roast, Swedish meatballs, meatloaf...all favorite fall/winter dishes around here.  Great...I'm now old enough to be "retro".  
Last night was boring since it was dinner in a hurry--broiled flat-iron steak, sliced thin and brussels sprouts.  Tonight, though, I'm going to sauté some sliced mushrooms in butter, throw in some tarragon, deglaze with some red wine.  Let that reduce a bit, throw in the leftover steak just long enough to heat through and stir in some sour cream off the heat and serve it over toast.  It sounds good in my head, just hoping it turns out well on the plate.
Well, wine soon, if that counts.  :D  The grapes are just about ready to be harvested.
For those asking for practice test questions:   CJL_2006 posted that in 2009 and hasn't made any posts since the three he/she made in this thread five years ago.  I checked the Red Seal website and there's a 20 question sample of the sorts of things you'll find on the test here http://www.red-seal.ca/tr.1d.2ecsdeta.3l@-eng.jsp?tid=54&fid=13   Good luck!
I can still read a (physical) book when... ...the power goes out and my batteries on my laptop/iPod/iPad have run out.  (Where I live, 6 day or more power outages in the winter are not unusual). ...reading the iPad in bed is not comfy. ...publishers produce errata sheets.  On the Internet?  Caveat emptor, good luck and happy trails to you if someone posted a recipe riddled with errors.  (Don't get me started on the number of errors in cook books.  Or knitting books.  I...
  I do something similar to this, only I put some fresh lemon juice on the foil, lay down a nice big sprig of fresh dill, lay the halibut on that, top it with more lemon juice, s&p, a biggish pat of butter and another sprig of dill.  Seal it up and bake it.  Buttery, lemony, dilly goodness. :)