or Connect

Posts by Praties

I have never had a babka, so I'm no expert, but they look really tasty to me.  The rise looks good, as well.  I think you'll be getting some very positive feedback!
Swiss steak, pot roast, Swedish meatballs, meatloaf...all favorite fall/winter dishes around here.  Great...I'm now old enough to be "retro".  
Last night was boring since it was dinner in a hurry--broiled flat-iron steak, sliced thin and brussels sprouts.  Tonight, though, I'm going to sauté some sliced mushrooms in butter, throw in some tarragon, deglaze with some red wine.  Let that reduce a bit, throw in the leftover steak just long enough to heat through and stir in some sour cream off the heat and serve it over toast.  It sounds good in my head, just hoping it turns out well on the plate.
Well, wine soon, if that counts.  :D  The grapes are just about ready to be harvested.
For those asking for practice test questions:   CJL_2006 posted that in 2009 and hasn't made any posts since the three he/she made in this thread five years ago.  I checked the Red Seal website and there's a 20 question sample of the sorts of things you'll find on the test here http://www.red-seal.ca/tr.1d.2ecsdeta.3l@-eng.jsp?tid=54&fid=13   Good luck!
I can still read a (physical) book when... ...the power goes out and my batteries on my laptop/iPod/iPad have run out.  (Where I live, 6 day or more power outages in the winter are not unusual). ...reading the iPad in bed is not comfy. ...publishers produce errata sheets.  On the Internet?  Caveat emptor, good luck and happy trails to you if someone posted a recipe riddled with errors.  (Don't get me started on the number of errors in cook books.  Or knitting books.  I...
  I do something similar to this, only I put some fresh lemon juice on the foil, lay down a nice big sprig of fresh dill, lay the halibut on that, top it with more lemon juice, s&p, a biggish pat of butter and another sprig of dill.  Seal it up and bake it.  Buttery, lemony, dilly goodness. :)
  That's a *good* idea, though.  And, hey!  Dumplings are just spaetzle on steroids, right?  
  I'm thinking a cabbage slaw--red cabbage (traditional alongside sauerbraten), a little celery seed and a dressing with lemon, sour cream and mayo and, maybe, another veg.  I'd love some steamed red potatoes, but they'd only be for me; Mike hates potatoes.  :/
I started cooking it today, so I guess it counts.  :D  Sunday night, I'm making a bastardized sauerbraten/stroganoff combo.  I had some 1.5 inch-thick strips of beef, cut them into 2.5" long pieces, gave them a good sear and put them in a marinade of water, red wine and apple cider vinegars, carrot, onion, bay leaf, peppercorns and mustard seed and popped it into the fridge.  Sunday, I'll add some sugar and salt and slow cook it until it falls apart.  Then I'll strain...