or Connect

Posts by Z~BESTUS

KEITARO0905:  Good afternoon. Welcome to our culinary forum. I am sending you to the Food Network site. Here you will find a beginning for your recipe you wish to develop. What may be missing here perhaps members with more cooking knowledge that can help you with their experience & knowledge.   GO TO:   http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/orange-ginger-carrot-soup   When the page opens up in the upper right hand side enter the following in the search...
TIEMU: Good morning. I must agree with PANINI's choice for POUND CAKE. As you know it is a much more stronger cake  & thus can handle the weight & handling while being assembled into your choice of configuration. Further as you know you have a choice of employing none or adding chemical leavenars.If you omit these 2, ingredients, the baked product will be dense...hence stronger.     Anyway good luck & post your results.     Z~BESTUS.
CLEMINTINE:   Good morning. As you know, In general, butter in a cookie recipe tends to make a cookie spread. Butter has approx 17% water in it. Also take notice that the butter & the water in the egg yolks amount to 88% of the flour amount. That is unusual high I would say. Although true shortbread cookies generally have a ratio of 88% to 92% butter to flour but has no liquids in it. They bake without any spreading.   You can try 50% veg shortening & 50% butter I...
KEITH GRIMA:  Good morning. Keith, I am sure you know that RIB EYE cut is considered PRIME RIB CUT...at least where I live in Las Vegas, NV it is. As for a roast I enjoy the EYE ROUND Roast  For roast beef sandwiches the TOP ROUND is considered optimum. I buy it in the deli section at Walmarts super market. They do also have a bottom round cut as well. But the top round is tastier & it only is $1.00 per pound more. I hope this information is helpful to you. Enjoy the rest...
KINGOFJAMES:   Good afternoon. Sorry to learn of your baking disappointment James. first I will answer your second question. Many bakers have related to me in the past using "CREAM CHEESE" as a subst.Actually James, Mascarpone  cheese is very similar to cream cheese but without the "TARTARIC ACID"  Try it with cream cheese as a substitution. If you do not think it is to your liking then make your own "MARSCARPONE CHEESE"  I used to make my own about 10/12, years ago. Well...
BRIAN SHAW:  Good morning. I know that you know the following, for those who may not know why we proof ACTIVE DRY YEAST, it started when this product became in vogue some years ago. Due to poor quality control, many of thesel packets failed. Soooo, the manu suggested it be proofed first by employing warm water & a little sugar...if it bubbled up It was good to be used. But today the QC is 100% there is ever a failure that is ever reported. There is a advantage in employing...
SARAHCONSTW:   Good morning Sarah. You asked me to suggest to you a recipe for you using APPLESAUCE CAKE. I am sorry for taking longer than I would reply when requested for help.   Sarah there is a recipe in a XLNT baking book called "BAKEWISE". written by a world class Baking Scientist. called Shirley Corriher.If you do not have this book go to the library to see if they have it or if they will get it for you. There you can photo copy the recipe or I am sure your local...
YVONNE: Good morning. Yvonne, I can help you. You can go to page 29 & 30 of the book you used. There it will explain to you what makes a cake. It doesn't say but there is a plus/minus factor of 10% in the weights of the ingredients..   GO TO:   http://www.finecooking.com/articles/ratios-for-great-cakes.aspx?pg=0   Here you will find more of the same but with more precise guidance.   If you require more information we can help.   Good luck & Happy New Year to you...
SARACONSTW:S   Good morning. Thank you for you timely reply. I scrutinized the recipe for the cake portion. I did notice that 4, cups of APPLESAUCE is quiet excessive. 4 cups of applesauce equals 32, oz. Plus applesauce contains 88% of water The flour weight is 17,oz. Eggs are not enough in this recipe. Sara my friend when you assembled these ingredients didn't you notice that the batter was rather loose (wet) I believe there was a mis-print in the ingredients. This...
FABLESABLE:   Good afternoon. You asked for me to clarify my thoughts about the GLUTEN possibly not being developed. As you know GLUTEN is formed with hydration & the chemical properties of the wheat flour being used. Now then If the sugar exceeds the weight of the flour from say 110% to 160% of the four weight Prof bakers formally trained as I am call this recipe "HI~RATIO" cake formula. In comm bakeries, butter is not used for the fat..."EMULSIFIED SHORTNING" is used. A...