or Connect

Posts by fairfieldchef

Shroomgirl, I didn't know that, learned something new! I work in Shreveport but live in Keithville, out in the country. BTW, what did you do to serve time in DeRidder! LOL Have a few college buddies from there. For the last few days I have been trying to think of a food that is indigenous to Shreveport and for the life of me can't come up with a single one. Seems everything we eat here came from somewhere else.
Since you have given south Louisiana its own status, which it deserves, then I must throw in this traditional southern delight and a customer favorite at our place in North Louisiana - Grits and Grillades.
Anyone have any experience and or suggestions for preparing and cooking tri tip (sp) beef. We have several whole ones and haven't seen any recipes that bowl me over while searching the WWW. It would be something we would sell by the slice. We already sell plenty of brisket (not bbq style) so I was hoping to find something a little different. Any and all suggestion are appreciated.
From a fellow Louisianian and LSU Tiger fan, welcome to cheftalk and geaux LSU TIGERS!!! Not to brag but I make some really great red beans rice that sell like crazy in our store, especially in the winter time. I don't soak the beans but do add a smoked ham hock or two and a couple of tablespoons (for 8 pounds of beans) of Knorr's Beef Base. It's a beef base that adds a nice richness to soups, stew and red beans. Be careful how much you use as it is high in sodium,...
We have had a restaurant building boom in Shreveport, LA for the past 2 years and KK was one of the many new places to open. Not sure how they are doing but a regional company called 'Southern Maid Donuts" has ruled here for over 60 years. I've tried KK and am not impressed. I would put Southern Maid donuts up against anyone. Well, if you don't believe me, maybe you would believe Elvis. Elvis did the only commercial of his life for any product on November 6, 1954, for...
Bigwheel and all, In my 10 years here my bosses have never done a written evaluation of any employee. As for me and management, at 55 I no longer have the patience to deal with that headache. One week out of the year is enough for me. Just let me cook and I am happy. The employee that got fired today should have been fired months ago. He was constantly leaving work without permission, missing work, and/or disappearing for hours at a time during work. They, the...
Panini, The first thing I did was tell the bosses how well everyone performed. In fact I worked up an brief evaluation on every employee for the bosses to read. On Friday I also gathered everyone together for an employee meeting and told the crew what a great job they did, that I appreciated their hard work and proceeded to hand out Popsicles. You would have thought I was handing out twenty dollar bills. Maybe they were just relieved that they weren't getting chewed...
Well, I just don't understand it. The bosses leave for their yearly vacation and I was left in charge for nine days. I thought it was going to be a rough week and the "mice would play" all week long. To my surprise this crew, which at times I have been critical of, worked their butts off with the exception of one person who was fired today by the bosses when they got back. I didn't have to get on anyone and almost every employee made an extra effort to get things done and...
Free Rider, The Kitchen Aid mixer that we use in our kitchen just up and died yesterday. It was used a ton everyday. Still I'm sure my boss got her monies worth. It was over 30 years old!
I always thought it would be a blast to be a cater for a big movie production. That is until we started to work with the caterer for the movie "Mr. Brooks" that is filming here in Shreveport. I don't think the guy ever sleeps, his schedule changes in a heart beat, he is open 24 hours a day until the filming is done, and for good measure throw in a nice hot humid Louisiana summer. I mean it might be nice to meet stars like Kevin Costner, William Hurt and Demi Moore but I...