or Connect

Posts by JonK

The flavors of the called-for cider vinegar and malt vinegar are sufficiently different that I suspect either the amount of vinegar is such that you wouldn't notice the choice of vinegars or that a range of flavor profiles is acceptable in the recipe. Cider vinegar is the easiest to match with what you've got, so I'd suggest you try white wine vinegar which will have from fruitiness without other intrusive flavors.       Incidentally, if you run into a recipe that calls...
We've been growing tomatillos for several years now, but I've not been satisfied with my experiences of cooking with them. All of the recipes I've tried have produced an unpleasant, excessively tart result, unlike the tomatillo dishes I have had at Mexican restaurants or from prepared products. This has been consistent enough that I am convinced there is something wrong, but I don't know what. Any ideas or advice?   
Thanks, Eastshores, My wife, who represents the Food Police in our house, objects to battered fish for its presumed fat content, but I may see if I can persuade her to left me give it a try.   Cerise, I will try baked vera cruz. I was thinking that a baked version of this fish might have more integrity.   Cerise and flipflop, we love fish tacos, especially with a lime cabbage slaw and a slightly spicy avocado sauce. In fact, it's on the menu for tomorrow night. But I...
chefedb--Yes, according to our fish monger (who is usually quite reliable) the fish is fresh, not previously frozen. (Sorry for my delayed  response, but the reply notification doesn't seem to be working for me.)
Our local fishmonger has had fresh Alaskan whitefish fillets at a very attractive price lately, but it's become painfully obvious to me that I don't know how to cook them.   I tried doing a whitefish meuniere with brown butter, capers and lemon, and the fillet just fell apart along its vertical segments. Hmm...need something sturdier to back it up. I then tried a cornmeal crust, as if I were doing a catfish fillet. Once again, fish hash. Mind you, the fish tasted fine in...
Thanks, phatch for your suggestion.   Actually, I am (or was) allergic to "ordinary" sumac, of which there are about three dozen species, I'm well aware of so-called poison sumac, with its white (not the usual red) berries. Currently, it isn't even classified in the same genus (Rhus) as all those other sumacs.     Since my allergy was  on contact, diagnosed many decades ago, I may have outgrown it, but have been reluctant to try. Putting some down my throat as an...
I was recently given a recipe for a Turkish-style flatbread whose meat-based topping includes a few tablespoons of "Turkish Sumac Powder".   Trouble is in my youth I was identified as having a sumac contact allergy and strongly advised to avoid touching the plant. Though many years have passed, I'm understandably reluctant to put it in my mouth.   Is there a reasonable substitute? I was told it had a citrus flavor, but I'm guessing that lemon zest might be a bit too...
Thank you, Ordo. We ended up using a colander as you suggested but also squeezed some of the solids in the ricer as well. Turned out well.  
I'm making a bouillabaisse recipe in which the fish broth is simmered with sauteed onion, fennel and garlic to which chopped tomato and white wine are added. The recipe then calls for this to be passed through a food mill. I don't have one. Would a potato ricer be a good substitute? If not, what do you suggest (other than buy a food mill)?
dcarch--I should have been more explicit. I use dry scallops (the ones with added water won't brown before steaming and overcooking) and I also patv them dry them before searing. Thank you.