or Connect

Posts by ClassicalVoice

I've been a cooking show addict for a number of years now, but I've never seen anything on cooking with disabilities. As a chronic fatigue syndrome sufferer and cancer survivor, I would love to be able to do some cooking of my own, but I can't seem to get over the many hurdles in my way. Do you have any advice for how to cook with disabilities? Some problems that hit me hardest are: Standing for more than around 10 minutes Fatigue Muscle pain, aggravated by being in...
I am increasingly flexible with foods these days. I want to avoid the ingredients I listed at the outset, but otherwise I kind of like seeing new ideas to try. I would prefer not to get into mushroom-heavy recipes I think, but on a limited scale those are ok. Right now, it's mainly about ease of preparation and collection of ingredients. So many recipes require you to chop 3 or 4 things or constantly watch a burner, and that is a very difficult prospect for me at this...
Great on both accounts. I think I have some nice things to consider here, particularly with the soup and all, and I'm hoping some folks who frequent other forums more might be able to add in terms of other recipes or tools to use or whatever else. I did manage to ask Rick Bayless yesterday, but his advice was a bit too general and along the lines of "try my new book." I checked his site for the sample recipes and they're pretty intense given my situation, but it was...
Great, will do. Thanks!
Wow, this is a neat opportunity. I too saw the Iron Chef battle recently. I'd love some tips for cooking with health problems. I have chronic fatigue syndrome, and consequently get tired easily, have back pain and weakness, and cannot stand for more than about 10 minutes at a stretch. As a new cook, what can I do to max out my ability in the kitchen? Thanks!
Would it be ok to copy the initial content of this post and post it again on another appropriate forum on this site? I don't know if that is within reason or not, here. Thanks.
Great tip. I love it. Creating a search engine might not be that bad, but getting it added to the Google list would be I bet.
I'm thinking that if I can get together about 14 recipes I'll have a solid base. Seem about right? So far I have probably 3 or maybe 4 in a pinch, which includes the fried brown rice idea and the two pasta sauces with vegetables and so on. I also have a good basil and tomato topping that I think I could handle by making the night before to put on fish or chicken. Any good soups or stews you can recommend? I've been trying to find these by cooking with a friend, but we...
All of those are good choices for sure, vegetable-wise. We don't do eggplant or zucchini here, but I like both and can of course buy both. That's great about the pesto working without cheese. I was afraid that might be the binder that glued it together. I hear that can be ok with eggs too, which could be nice, and I bet that could be whipped up and last a fair amount of time.
I'd go for the tapenade... only I really can't stand olives. Capers fill out the "meh" category for me. Ha. I've tried to like them but I just get nowhere. Are there particular vegetables that would work best with a tomato sauce pasta dish? I figure broccoli and artichoke would be great, maybe asparagus? Would cook times in a sauce be shorter than cook times in a steamer? Seems like they would. Is there a common resource for timing things in this manner that I can...