or Connect

Posts by morcheller

The knife I am most comfortable with and use the most is an 18 cm Global vegetable knife. It has a solid feel and a grip that is comfortable to my large hands.Unlike many stylized grips, it is also ambidextrous, which allows me to cut with the hand that is most convenient rather than being designed to only be comfortable in the right hand. This knife holds an edge well and since I tend to touch-up the edges on my knives regularly, I have only had to truly sharpen...
There are no secret recipes! If people imitate your recipe; thank them. They think very highly of your talent and speaking of talent; you need to keep exercising it. Personally, I write 3 to 5 new recipes every week. When I say write I actually mean adapt. I change the spicing to suit my current clientèle. I change the protein to make the best dish at the best price. I change techniques to match my kitchen's style. Never rest and never rely on a single recipe! Customers...
I was left a big bag of morels once and another time a regular left a paper grocery bag full of basil. All went on the next days specials! Shroom, I detest adding statements like you suggest about tipping. Tipping is not a requirement. It is a "Gratuity" for services well rendered. If you feel like they owe it to you they probably do not!
I want a moderately heavy, solid stainless steel uni-body, 10" Chefs knife. Sharpened at 10 to 12 degrees. It would be nice if there were a way to shave some weight off the handle as time goes by and the blade sharpening throws the knife out of balance. I have large hands and would like the handle shaped like the Shun Ken Onion only built a little larger.
I admit that this is an old fogey question BUT: How much is too much to ask for a meal? I have been cooking since the mid 60's and it seems that a meal, in a casual dining restaurant cost about 1 1/2 to 2 hours pay for a cook. I read today that many casual dining restaurants are beginning to break the $20 entree barrier which is well beyond twice what the cooks locally earn. Does anyone have stats on how this price relationship has gone over the years? Are we driving away...