or Connect

Posts by craftynatalie

I am planning a luncheon at my church and we are having a pasta bar. Three Sauces and three pastas. Marinara, red sauce w/ meatballs and alfredo will be served with spaghetti, linguine, and we are considering a ravioli. I will be serving 200 - 250 people. My question is... how is the best way to prepare and serve the pasta? We absolutlely do not want to mix pastas and sauces. We want people to chose their own pasta and sauce. May I cook it the day before until just al...
Quite honestly, I am just starting to cook with fresh herbs and it kills me to buy the bunches at the grocery, a.) because they are not cheap, b.) because it seems that they tend to go to waste if I don't use them all which I normally don't and finally c.) if you notice my signature my family is not condusive to the type of meals I want to prepare so I am usually just making these for myself. Little boys are so picky! But I do love cilantro chives sage I think I...
Where have they been?
I live up by Rockford in Illinois just wondering if any one else out there is in my area. ( I am half hour south of Janesville to give you Wisconsinites an idea.) I would love to share dining info with someone else. Hubby only "eats to live" so he doesn't quite get my obsession with food. Is happy to go to chains but then again he is the one who gets to experience food in Germany, Mexico, Hawaii, New York - ITS JUST NOT FAIR! He doesn't even care!:mad:
I just read this article in Food & Wine about people that frequent a board (ebob is all I can remember) such as this for wine discussions and they frequently post and invite members to wine dinners and wine tastings. For instance. Joe Burgandy sets up a dinner near his hometown at a restaurant and picks the wine or region blah blah and then people sign up and pay X amount and bring 1 or 2 wines that match the theme and they all get to meet. Have any of you foodies done...
Nicko, I don't know aout the movie thread but, I am interested in it too. Anyway, I just joined Netflix (movie rentals online, no late charges etc...)and did a search for food related movies, documentaries, PBS programs and they have a ton. I just watched the first season of a series from the UK called "Chef!" about a not so nice chef/owner of a 2 star michelin French restaurant. I really liked it and it is quite funny. I found a ton of stuff at Netflix. I am pretty sure...
I did it! I bought my first "BIG" knife. Boy, do I love it. I bought an 8" Shun Classic and I think it's one MACK DADDY of a knife. I found that I liked it's D shaped handle by far over the other ones. Global felt way to light and the handles on Messermeister and Wusthof Classic were not quite as comfortable. I still think I might buy a Wusthof Grand Prix because that handle was quite nice and I did like the bolster, I felt it made my grip more comfortable. Thanks for...
I'm here, I'm here, Thanks for all your input everyone. I have decided to just buy a couple small plants and give them a go. But is there any special way you should pick or cut the herbs you arge going to use. Do they then grow back or once you use it all it's gone!
How would I go about starting a small herb garden now? What will grow the best?:chef:
In my area it is really hard to find fresh herbs at an economical price. I don't have access to a Whole Foods Market or anything like that, just small grocery stores. I am trying lots of new recipes that call for herbs and spices. When is it Ok to substiute dryed herbs and what is the best way to store them and how long will they keep? I am wondering about cooking with herbs like oragano, basil, parsley, etc... all those dryed herbs. that you find in the spice section. ...