or Connect

Posts by sierra11b

For sale is a Commercial Grade Wells WB2 Waffle Iron. This Iron sells new for $1100 but I am asking $450 OBO -- I am negotiable and am willing to ship CONUS.   I am a new chef at a location and went sifting through unused equipment and found a virtually new WB2 waffle iron collecting dust and have no use for it at this time -- money sure could go to other equipment at this time.    The machine works great and the irons themselves are in perfect shape. The only...
I work with a FOH under the leadership of a relatively new, corporate-style, do-everything-it-takes-and-more manager. Recently though, the level of service we're willing to provide our guests has gotten out of hand to the point were I'm constantly having to alter a particular dish I created (and otherwise get good reviews) for numerous guests tastes. I'm not talking about someone that comes and that cannot have salt, but rather regulars and semi-regulars that keep...
We can all agree to replace the food. Keep it on the check and throw a dessert at them, take off a corkage fee, whatever... It's just unfortunate that in replacing the food you're essentially admitting you made the mistake, not the FOH or it being the customer's own hair.
I've never worked in a restaurant that used the technique so I'm a bit skeptical as to how you can apply it in a working kitchen. I bit the bullet on buying the equipment for personal use and now want to use it at work. I hope it can help my line by shortening ticket times and improve plate consistency. I would like to do my berkshire chops, chicken, and maybe some fish specials using the technique. What I do not understand is getting service pars down. When I've tried...
Debating the Mother Sauce is pointless as we can all agree there are five as far as quizing green-gilled pantry cooks is concerned. Doesn't mean you can't make your own list or take credit away from Beurre Blanc. Believe me, I've seen more people not be able to make a stable beurre blanc that could make great hollandaise. I could really downplay any of the mother sauces if try, especially espagnole and tomato. Hollandaise is really just butter mayonasie, right? Sounds...
I'm looking for a brulee sampler plate set-up. Of all the ones I've seen they're either poor quality, cheesy, insanely expensive, or have a wooden tray that I don't want to deal with and maintain. So can anyone please direct me to a basic white three compartment dish I can use for a sampler? If the compartments are anywhere from 3-4 oz each then that's great, too. -Eric
For me, Family meals are designed for my kitchen only as dinner first, inspiration second. Sometimes they get a real treat, sometimes it's BFD, sometimes it's something as simple as pasta or mac and cheese with leftover sausages. Either way, if any FOH staff wants the meal they need to see me or a senior member of the line, ask how it should be rung in depending on ingredients (as a soup or salad or employee chef meal which is more expensive), then ring in their order 30...
Good one. I still take the bright orange cooled fat cap off of beef stock, cut it into cheesecake size wedges, make it pretty with whipped cream, caramel sauce and other garnish and tell the managers or new servers that it's out new Yam cheesecake. Works every time! A classic but we had a guy that always left his knives dirty at the end of the night on the magnet. So we used to clarify water the best we could and freeze them in a bucket with the handles sticking out...
I have been striking out with mole recipes. Seems the more complex the more the potential of the sauce's flavors being muttled. I've tried two complez recipes without skipping a beat, one was a variation of Diana Kennedy's. I tried one recipe that was quick and actually better than the ones that required tons of prep, but still not quite where I wanted it. That said, it seems that you can cut corners with a good mole So, I am in search for a red mole that isn't...
I recently took an exec position and have rolled out a new fall menu. I have 7 appetizers on the menu currently, most of which have been on the menu for years and are now landmarks that the owner doesn't want me to touch. Without getting into too much detail I'll explain what I have. Of the seven the goji prawns and fig and goat cheese blintz are mine. The rest must stay: Ahi Poke - Pantry Fig and Goat Cheese with Bourbon honey - Pastry Cheese Beignets -...