or Connect

Posts by kalypso

Well, Phil, I don't think you're that far off, but my reasoning is just a little bit different. Both cuisines have a strong connection to the soil and how to nourish and sustain the body and soul with what you can grow and produce. And then, of course, there is the whole role that food, tradition and family plan in both cultures. For me the similarities between Mexican and Italian isn't some much the tastes or the structure of the meals/specific dishes as much as it...
I'm cooking my way through Everyday Mexican and so far everything I've made from it has been wonderful. I actually own all your cookbooks and use them for more than just Cinco de Mayo :). What I really appreciate about the new book is the ease and simplicity of the recipes and the fact that you didn't sacrifice the flavor profiles in favor of speed. I also really like the salad dressings and salad ideas in Everyday Mexican.
I'm assuming that by choc you mean chocolate? You can get MayorDomo Mexican chocolate from Oaxaca through Chocosphere - www.chocosphere.com - as well as El Rey chocolate from Venezuela. IIRC, they carry both the regular and semi-sweet varieties. There is really no comparison between MayorDomo and the more readily available Ibarra and Abuelita. The MayorDomo is really good stuff. I've ordered quite a bit of different chocolate from Chocosphere with very good luck,...
Phil, I just wanted to add a comment about Mexican cheeses before Rick replies. I am not a big fan of goat cheese. Oh, I'll eat it, but I don't derive tremendous pleasure from it like many of my friends. I'm not wild about cajeta either, but I do like cabrito and goat birria, so go figure. But I digress. In my travels in Mexico over the last year or so I have had a number of dishes that contained Mexican goat cheese. Oh, my. I actually LIKE this stuff. It's got a...