Posts by Nicko

@rpooley I use the same ratio from M. R.'s book       What happens is it only takes a small amount of cure and liquid is pulled out and as you turn the bacon each day it cures. You can add more but be wary of over salting. The first few times I made it was completely paranoid of getting bacteria but if you cure it long enough and smoke it properly it is very easy. I make my own bacon regularly it is much better than store bought. Experiment with flavors I have added...
@Someday we have a features/suggestion forum but why not just use this thread and post some ideas.  
  Since 2009 ChefTalk.com has been a part of the Huddler and more recently Wikia community platform. Sadly the platform is being shut down and ChefTalk will be moving to a new home. What does this mean for you? Not much at the present we just wanted you to know what is going to happen in the near future. A planned date to move the site is the end of June.   It is our goal to transfer as much of the current site as possible but there will be some things that get left...
Welcome, This is a welcome forum so if you need advice on how to deal with a difficult chef or co-worker take it over to the pro forums. For what it is worth you will always have to work with someone you don't care for and you need to learn to focus on the right things or it will eat you up. I was in a similar situation and I finally asked myself why am I letting this one person control my life and make me miserable. I stopped focusing on him and started focusing on my...
How this chef responds is NOT your responsibility how you as the chef respond is. One bad team member will spoil the team so cut him loose.
Heidi is right on the money. We have had many members who overly critical of other's opinions and it never goes well. Ask questions, don't criticize. If someone is acting inappropriately towards you bring it to a moderators attention.
Most likely you are not rinsing your bones and you also should skim off the scum (greyish foam) at the top from time to time. We have some great how-to articles on stocks by chefs here:                  

No it would make the food even more salty. 
There are a few but I don't think online is how you learn to cook. One school that was reviewed on ChefTalk is:        You may be tired of your current career but if you have not cooked professional before you should do that first for 6 months to a year before committing to culinary school. Cooking professional can seem very exciting the first year or two. Try to think 5-10 years down the road when you are working every weekend, every night 60 - 70 hours a week. No...