or Connect

Posts by Nicko

I am with @GeneMachine Pepin has been my mentor for much of my cooking career. Molly Stevens author of  ​ is also one of the finest culinary instructors today.
This is all well and good KK but I say we take it to the next level and all post photos of whats in our fridge!  
Ha, my wife who is an attorney would disagree. You can't be a lawyer and not be a professional. You either have the law degree which defines you have a fiduciary duty or you don't. I see your point in what your saying that at least in the United States there is no formally recognized program by the state/s for becoming a chef. I suppose the closest thing we have in the US is the ACF but again not everyone follows the acf.
Right @MichaelGA you make a good point about anyone can open a restaurant. But to say that Bobby Flay, Morimoto, the executive chefs at the big hotels are not in a recognized profession I just can't agree. Not just anyone can walk in and do that job they have to have high degree of skill just like an electrician. Do you understand what I mean?  
  That one I don't agree with. It is a recognized profession and if it wasn't there would not be literally thousands of culinary schools across the country and everyone changing careers to become a chef. The apprenticeship programs in Europe always made more sense to me because it was a more through process of learning the trade. The closest thing I have seen in the US is a vocational tech school that I visited in Delaware. @Jim Berman can comment on it. Basically the...
Are you going to the Rhode Island campus? J&W is a lot like CIA so here are a few suggestions.   Push yourself to do all the extra work you can with chefs. The chefs at the school get asked to do a ton of caterings dinner etc etc so ask the chefs if you can help out. The schools offer a lot of extra cooking opportunities so take them they are a great way to build on the education. For example I used to get up on Saturday morning to help bake rolls and bread for the...
Man this is like MTV Cribs when they show you what is in Puff Daddy's fridge. Which by the way is a lot like mine. Mostly bottles of Crystal, energy drinks, and a whole lot of bottled water.   Seriously.   yogurt (often homemade but this is store bought) string cheese for snacks skim milk eggs guacamole soup I have made of some kind fresh bacon curing bean salad too many dressings, sauces to name whole wheat bread Pig Intestines for sausage casings.
@Naturesbliss one more thing I would add to our discussion here is a culinary degree has so much more value than just learning how to cook. Working in professional kitchens taught me about working under pressure, staying focused, being organized so as you get into the field you will learn so much that will translate into other areas. One other area that might sound weird is learning so much about plate presentation and how the eye travels over a plate etc really helped me...
@Etherial Your chef is some ways is right it can be worse in the real world but that is not only with cooking it is with any field. Older students are always more focused than young ones.     @SandSquid I have to say coming from the military (thank you for your service) you are probably used to a bit more order. Don't focus your energy on these folks because you are going to meet plenty more in the kitchen. In any field really but often more so in the kitchen. Also...
I was a chef and wanted to be a software engineer so right back at you @cbalawat    Seriously I started out at a young age in family restaurants and worked for years busing tables, cooking, prepping, attending  ​, working in Europe then leaving it to get a degree in computer information systems. I hope you can handle some tough questions but you said "Cooking makes me happy" not working in a professional kitchen. It may seem like I am playing a semantics game but it is a...