or Connect

Posts by Erik

Pff.....a little while back my art student cousin started asking me weird cake and icing questions. Turns out she was making a cupcake large enough for her and 2 of her classmates to sit in and pick at for an art show. Can't seem to find any pictures, but THAT was a giant cupcake ;) P.S. It was a lot of 9x13 cakes stacked, iced on top with "shortening-cream"
I agree with M Brown. Take the degree. You can actually get a surprisingly good education at a community college. I got my degree from one, and have many times felt I had the better education than friends and coworkers who got more expensive educations. But then again, maybe I just paid better attention in my classes ;)
It has always amused me how many people also think this has to do with the alcohol it was made with ;)
If I am remembering right, Madagascar is by far the largest producer, at least as of 2004. Had to do a large research project on it my first quarter of culinary school. If i'm remembering wrong, well, it was a very busy quarter ;) Also, labeling one the best would have to be a little subjective, as they all have slightly different flavors.
My higher-ups, unfortuately, seem ambivalent toward saving labor, food cost, baking science, or anything else you would think they should care about. I used to think it was really strange, now I just think it is amusing. But, they pay me well, and if they want me to keep throwing away alot of moldy cake yeast (believe me, this has all been brought to their attention may times before) then I guess it is their business. Just wanted to make sure you all didn't know...
Been working with this croissant recipe (at my job) for the last 2 years and finally decided to see if I'm crazy or not. For 50 lbs flour, it calls for 1 lb instant yeast, along with 1.5 lbs compressed yeast. (I know, it's alot. All of our recipes have alot of yeast) Does anyone know of some secret reason I'd want two different forms of yeast in one recipe? I've never heard a good explination from my company, but I've never expected there was one either!
if you are REALLY lucky, sometimes you will even make a mistake to your future benefit, something of an ah-ha moment. Or at least learn from it :)
I went to a community college and when talking to people who went to much more expensive schools, I often feel like I got a better education.
Disclaimers: 1) I own a digital scale for home use 2) I have been baking professionally in diverse settings for about 10 years 3) I weigh the liquid portion of my bread recipes at work (just for you izbnso ;)) Honestly, my work scale is not reliably accurate within 8 oz, and I work in a smaller-sized bakery that puts out about 1200 lbs of bread-things a week. It all comes out fine. Alot of the time, even with carefully measured ingredients, I'll end up adding a little...
I agree with Bughut, but with some added emphasis. I was lucky enough to spend a few years working in bakeries before I went off to school. It was easy for the chefs to tell who had. And you know what, we learned more! Not having to worry about getting the basics down frees up your mind to remember the more interesting things. And 'the basics' in a professional kitchen are different from 'the basics' at home. Oh, and also that thing about making sure you really want...