or Connect

Posts by jimmyb.

Hardest thing: Matriculation.  Sticking with it.  Culinary school is not like standard classes in academia, nor is it for every one.  For those thinking of enrolling, keep this thought when reviewing choices of schools: "It's not what the school puts into you, but what yoy put into school".   I attended, and graduated from two of the country's top culinary schools.  At school "A", we were required to address our instuctors as "Mr.", not "Chef".  This is actually the...
I agree with UniChef. Although, upper management and owners like to look at Food Costs, remember that you can't take percentages to the bank. You take money to the bank. So, look closely at contribution margin. Years ago, I worked for a restaurateur who got too hung up on food costs and was upset when a high-cost item was gaining popularity in the sales mix. I demostrated to him that even though the item (garlic-roast lobster) had a high food cost, its contribution...
You might be over-proofing in the second rise. The dough will look good when you put it in the oven, but the wall structure is too weak to support itself while the bread bakes. It literally collapses on itself. Try a batch where you think the second rise is a little under proofed and see if you get good results. This can be especially important with soft-dough breads like focaccia.
For a marinade, as others have said, your favorite vinegar or citrus juice works fine. I also use a little tomato product from time to time. It adds acid and a complexity to the flavor profile. The enzymes also act as a tenderizer. For a sauce, where reduced wine would be used, vinegar can be used as an acid replacement. Remember, that although wine reduces and concentrates flavor, vinegar does not. So, if one is going to use this method, use 1/5 the amount of...
Hey Vetclone, sorry to hear about your Sunbeam walking off the counter...It happens. I've had a KA, K5SS (5-quart bowl) since 1989, and it's a champ. I bake whole wheat bread at least twice a month (5-6 cups of flour per batch) and pizza dough,and have never had a problem. The only time the machine bogged was when I tried to mix a double batch of oatmeal cookies at once. When looking at KA models, I prefer the five quart mixers over the 4 1/2 quart size (stronger...
A few responders to this thread have touched on the "definition" of Chef. I'm a culinary school grad, also with an advanced degree in hospitality management; have 15 years on the line and in the kitchen. Do I call myself a chef? It depends on the job description. The word Chef is French for Chief, or person in charge. Nothing more, nothing less. So, the person in charge of a particular kitchen is the chef of that kitchen; likewise, the person in charge of a station...
If you want to cook, cook. I've worked with Culinary graduates who could cook, and some who could not. I've also worked with very talented people who did not go to school. If you want to go into management or exec positions with a large company or hotel, then Culinary school will have benefits. If you want to own or operate your own business, then gain experience, learn as much as you can from many different sources, and...go to business school.:suprise::lips::suprise:
Boozehound: with your detailed explanation of covers, kitchen etc. it sounds like you're rationalizing (trying to justify the drinking). Drinking on the job is drinking on the job. I'm guessing that your bartender is also drinking during the shift and is looking for others to join in to avoid guilt in doing so. Bartenders have the second highest rate of alcoholism of all professions (police officer is number 1.), and cook/chef usually comes in third. Just because we...
Hi Egirl, I had the privelage and honor to graduate from two of the finest culinary schools in the country, and I'd like to share a piece of advice that I received from two respected chefs: "It's not what a school or others put into you, but it's what you put into it". In other words, you could attend a lesser known or accredited program and put 110% into your work, and you would be further ahead and better off than attending a highly prestigious program where you less...
Cooking professionally is nothing like cooking as a hobbiest, no matter how enthusiasticly one "plays" in their home kitchen. Like any passion in life, if you can't see yourself doing anything else, then you've answered your own questions. People that cook, do so because this is what their heart tells them to do. Just like professional actors, there are 1000's of people working just to get by for each celebrity chef that you see or read about. I taught culinary...