or Connect

Posts by Viktri

Yeah I get the black slurry stuff - actually on all grits by more so on the highest grit stone that I use.  Question - I shave with DE razors so I'm familiar with razor blade sharpness - is this what a super sharp knife is going to feel like?  I chopped tissue paper with the knives and the lower grit stone knife definitely has a louder sound to it.    Thanks Scott. My wife is a hard up and down chopper and it wears out the edge. Normally I sharpen every 4-5 months.
 I just tried this test on both knives and the lower grit stone seemed more dangerous. This is a pretty scary test if a knife is sharp, I actually did cut a bit of my skin. That makes a lot of sense and is what I'm worried about. Initially I only sharpened with the 1000 stone but it just didn't get the knife as sharp as the 300 grit stone does. I do want to preserve the time I can cut with the knives so I will have to work on my technique I guess. So you can get the knife...
Hi all, another question regarding knife sharpening.   I have 2 shun stones - one is 300/1000 and the other 1000/2000 (I think, might be offer here).   I have just noticed that my knives are sharper when I only use the 300 grit stones to sharpen them. Over the past year, I had been sharpening using 300/1000/2000 and while the knives were sharp they weren't razor sharp as they are now.    I'm left handed (if that matters) and I think I've got my angle down. I read...
How do you get the knife so sharp? Is it all due to technique, or because you use a higher grit stone, or what? I tried the test where you slice a tomato horizontally and I failed the test. How do people get their knives so sharp?
I bought a shun honer just a few days ago because I read somewhere that it would guarantee that I wouldn't be buying the wrong kind of honer. It's made of steel. Actually the knife/whetstone/honer selection where I live is very limited, I think I'm going to start ordering things online from the states.   Regarding honing, I'm pretty slow in honing. My technique has been to set the angle then slice, and re-do 3-5 times on each side. I've actually noticed a huge difference...
Last year my wife purchased some shun knives and I've been learning how to sharpen them recently. I purchased some wet stones and have been able to get them sharp, albeit not as sharp as when the professional sharpener did it. I'm not very interested in maintaining the blade.   I do have a honer that makes a huge difference but in terms of using the whetstone, would it make sense to sharpen with a 6k stone when I feel the blade is dulling? I figured the 6k VS using 1k...