or Connect

Posts by Jolly Roger

When I started in the restaurant industry I quickly learned that dependable footwear would make me less grouchy while working. I wore tank opperator boots for six years and they were great when they were new, but too expensive and the chemicals we used to clean our floors and the grease tore them up pretty bad. I've been wearing Danskos now for five years. I like them with the heel because they seem to stay on better. I clean them with amonia and then apply black shoe...
There are two major worms in our hiring process when it comes to looking for cooks: 1.) Illeagals that trade social security numbers when one comes into the U.S. and one leaves and will work for peanuts because they have a secondary job and don't mind working 80 hours a week for the next six months because that's about five years of wages where they come from. A side point, most of the time they come to our country with no knowledge of safe food handling, knowledge of...
What makes the difference is obeying a few cardinal laws. First and foremost is Mise en plas which emphasizes the importance of forethought. This brings us to the six "P"'s: Propper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance. Second is balance in flavors and seasonings.I.E.; never season your stock. Allow the natural flavor of your stock to enhance your end product; you can always add, but not take away. And third, respect for your knives and other equipment. As far as...