or Connect

Posts by Jolly Roger

Is H*ll's Kitchen on tonight, Monday? What channel and can I catch it after midnight? I have to close tonight and I won't get home until about 11:00 pm. Anybody know?
D*mn! I got blocked on my title! It was: "Pizza n*zis unite". I didn't know that n*zi was a "bad word". What about the "soup n*zi" on that Seinfeld episode? Are we really that delicate?...whatever...
I just received my July issue of Food and Wine and on page 88, there is a short, shout out for pizza hot spots. One of them, "Una Pizza Napoletanna" in NYC, sounded like it was right up my alley. "Pie-maker Anthony Mangieri closes the place on days when the dough misbehaves." (49 East 12th; 212-477-9950) I had to go in again this morning because my apprentice still isn't "getting it". I made the batch of dough and made him just stand and watch. Then when portioning it, I...
First before anything else, we should recognize that if it weren't for the battalion of Italian cooks that Catherine De Medici took with her to France when she married the Duke of Orleans (...later to become King Henry II in 1553...), then the French would still be tearing at their food with crude tools. Later in the seventeenth century, cats like Varenne, Careme, and Escoffier developed the "sauce system". Careme had only four (espagnole, veloute, bechemel, and...
When I go out to eat, I want a great steak. My favorite is, in fact, a bone-in ribeye. The reason being is that the roasted/flame broiled bone imparts its flavor to meat. It's like the part of the meat you can seriously char. I think of raosting bones for veal stock and seeing the marrow ooze out from inside the cleevered bones. That's just primal, down to the Earth deliciousness! I also enjoy T-bones for the same reason. And while we are at it, try buying chicken breast...
Fortunately for those of us who are Americans, we have the right to put "twists" on things that perhaps our many friends "across the pond" would never consider acceptable. So, "Hawiian pizza", yeah sure, why not...pork and sweet fruit with the acidity of tomato and comfort of cheese. H*ll, I was making meatball pies the other night for our cleaning crew (...sauce, ricotta cheese and our house meatballs drawn and quartered...), no shame in making something that tastes good....
Pannini, It IS about the dough! I mean, the ingredients are important, but c'mon...the dough separates the real cooks from the Domino's, Danato's, and fricken Pizza Hut's! I'm in this to win this, man! By the way, we have great ingredients for toppings. The owner spares no expense. That's what keeps people coming back for more. Like yours, my dough could never be made commercially. I had to go in this morning to make a fresh batch, because my apprentice didn't do it...
I'm a fan of pork as any self-respecting cook, but don't EVER...EVER...EVER, cook prosciutto!!! Are you out of your mind??? That must be like leather! Just use bacon, man. Don't ruin good prosciutto. And what's up with the poached eggs? Pizza, traditionally, is like a flatbread thet is flavored. American pizza has too much crap on it. Essense is key, my friend. Please don't trash any more good proscuitto. -Jollyroger
Hey man, pizza is a just a vehichle for tasty stuff...but the vehichle should be worthy. Agreeable? -Jolly Roger
Man, I am so with you on this! I only use the plastic boxes because I have storage issues during service hours. The boxes maintain the coolness where the sheet tray method allows for over-proofing if you are not going through your dough fast enough. I totally agree with you on the balling method. The tighter the better...that's what I always say...I portion out the dough at 9 to 10 oz. portions too and use the same technique, to start in the center and work to the...