or Connect

Posts by ExpatC

I think that definitely don't go above med rare. Any more well done and the problems are non-stop. First, you can' make an attractive canape because the meat is totally inflexible. Second, all of your meat will have the taste and texture of , well, a shoe (possibly a sock if it is really good beef). Third, most of the guests will think it was a mistake and you overcooked the beef. If I were doing it, i would make 100 of the med-rare and 26 of them at med well. That...
I am looking for a chef to start out as chef de cuisine then, hopefully, move into the head chef position of the group. These are the stats for the job: Lg. Restaurant: 250-300 seats (depending onthe time of year) Cuisine: Third floor italian. (Fresh Pastas, etc. the freshest ingredients available, medium price range) Second Fl: French-Asian, some sushi/sashimi, interesting, fun hopefully, great presentations. Summer Outdoor Seating: Mix of both,...
I would go a bit lighter. Salad with rice noodles, greens, summer tomatoes, etc. Sweet potatoes sound too heavy to me. But, a first course soup with the sweet potato steamed and cubed in a chicken broth, with greens cooked only by the broth, soy, cilantro, basil, all the thai-style flavors and herbs would be more the ticket.
I'm thinkin' waffles.
Cooking by Hand: Paul Bertoli The French Laundry Cookbook: Thomas Keller (if you can do everything in that book, then apply it to your own ideas, you are an artist.) Bouchon: Thomas Keller And, cautious praise for Ducasse's Encyclopedia. Possibly the worst and most boring cookbook ever published but if you have the patience to extract what is valuable in there (and it takes a lot of patience) it is the equivalent of 10 master classes in classical technique.
Nothing is better than work, practice and experience. In my opinion you can learn the basics WHILE you work. A great knowledge of the basics is the place that innovation comes from. But, again in my opinion, school is a waste of time unless you have the time to waste.
Oh, and get a good chef, pay your bills and DON'T fold your napkins in that "fan" thing, please! It makes me nuts.
I can't resist putting in my 2 cents here. I tried! I left the page then I came back. First I agree with most of the things people have said in response to your post. Even when one piece of advice contradicts another. They are all true. It is the beauty and art of the restaurant business! Most everyone is right, there is no foolproof formula (despite what the consultants who, 9 times out of 10 have never even worked in a restaurant, would like to tell us.), you...
I"m with steve, just do them in a saute pan. If you want to do a lot try cooking the peppers first, whole, carefully clean and chill them. Then stuff and bread them and then bake themto crisp and bring up the temp. I have never done i but it just may work I think.
I would vote for cold water lobster also. I tend to think they are more tasty and warm water lobsters tend to be a little dry. What I always do also is to put a bamboo or small metal skewer through the meats before grilling/cooking so that they hold the form for presentation. Without it they will curl up to a little lobster ball.