or Connect

Posts by Igannon

Kitten01,   My understanding has always been that the gelatin-type products are in mousse mostly as a stabalizer to keep it from deflating. Otherwise, you can definitely make a mousse without gelatin at all.   If you're going to pipe it into a cupcake, I might suggest skipping the "mousse," per se and going for a chocolate chantilly. The coco butter keeps it very stable, but its a little denser than a mousse. I just use 100g couveture (milk, white or dark all...
  I took my recipe from Michael Laiskonis' blog and tweaked it for white chocolate, and it seemed to work well enough. You may want to play with it a bit though.     8 sheets gelatin 80g water, cold 280g heavy cream 65g water 420g granulated sugar 200g white chocolate 1. Bloom gelatin in first measurement of cold water. Reserve. 2. In a large saucepan, combine cream, second measurement of water and sugar. Bring to a boil and cook to...
So here is Martin Lersch's book on Hydrocolloids (of which gelatin is one):   http://khymos.org/hydrocolloid-recipe-collection-v2.pdf   If you are using agar, be aware that it has a melting point that is above body temperature, which gives is a crumbly brittle texture instead of a smooth one. It probably wouldn't be as noticeable in something like a mousse than it would in a panna cotta ect...   A rough conversion between gelatin and agar is about 3:1 by...
I'm looking around for a sprayer to spray chocolate on frozen desserts.Chefrubber.com has a couple, but they're expensive. I read a couple places that you can use one of the Wagner pain sprayers from, say, home depot, but I'm worried about using equipment not intended for food. Any thoughts? Good experiences? Bad ones?
If you are looking for a well-priced place to find gelatin, either in powder or sheets, I found Chefrubber.com to be a god place to go.   As said above, there are different strengths of gelatin, measured in "bloom." In general, if one finds a recipe that uses gelatin sheets, assume its silver (180 bloom I think) and that the sheets weigh 2.5g. This is a big assumption, though. The brand of gelatin I have know has sheets that weigh closer to 2.25g, and before that I...
The quote is a little out of context, and possibly in bad taste. I apologize.
You certainly have 20 years on me... And its very possible that I've gotten pretty lucky with the used equipment that I've worked with.
There are a couple problems with this...   1) I don't know you. Neither does the person you'll be asking to "help." If you do end up in the food service industry, you'll realize that training someone to help you do your job ends up doubling your work load. Not only do I have to keep track of my own tasks, I have to constantly keep an eye on you, solve problems that you have caused, and pay for your mistakes (food cost is ALWAYS something to keep in mind)   2)...
Molecular Gastronomy is an interesting term. By Herve This' definition of MG, Ferran Adria etc. are doing "molecular cooking" not MG.   As it is, I agree with those above. Pastry should change and evolve like any other area of food production. I would always say that you need to match your food to your customer base, though.
I agree with Chefpeon, and with you I suppose. Sorbet has no place on top of a warm dessert. In fact, I generally don't like adding any frozen element on top of a warm dessert. If I wanted it melted, I wouldn't have taken so much care to make sure that it was frozen properly. Sorbet especially.