or Connect

Posts by rzn

tried a yellow cake recipe that cherry121 posted that was closer to what I was looking for (thank you btw cherry), Has a nice fine crumb, but still ended up a little denser than I am looking for. I think I could cut back on the cooking time a bit (I got it a little dry), but it was still somewhat dense. Any suggestions for substitutions in cake recipes in general for me to play with? (ie, oil for butter, that sort of thing) or a place to go where I can look up the...
thanks. I have some self-rising, but it's ancient. Don't know that it would still be good. Should really pitch it. Was going to ask, & forgot in the the earlier post what a substitute would be for it. Her recipe called for 3C flour. So would 1t baking powder to 1C flour be the standard subtitution to make "self rising" flour? I am also at altitude, so I should probably cut it back a bit. (never have used the self rising stuff in cakes, just a couple of biscuit...
thank you for the reply, so this is nice & moist w/ a fine crumb? Like I posted everything I have tried is so dry & coarse unless I'm doing a pound cake. Plus you have to separate eggs & fold in the whites. This is nice & simple too. I appreciate the info.
anyone have a recipe for a moist yellow cake? All the ones I have tried are dry coarse & just not very good. I'd like something that comes up w/ a nice moist crumb like the the chocolate & white cakes I can make & I'm not sure why the yellows go bad...
of course after i posted this morning my daughter had a friend over & they polished off the leftovers for lunch, so won't be able to try it for awhile. Started some Parker House rolls for supper instead. :cool: Next time. What is struan bread? Been sort of in a rut myself, have a few different ones we make all the time & been looking for different stuff to try.
thanks, it sounds like it will be worth at least trying. I just didn't want to spend the time & money on ingredients if it was going to be a for sure waste of time & effort. Thank you for taking the time to reply
has anyone ever used leftover mashed potatos to make potato rolls or do you always make new? Would like to try & use up some mashed that we had for dinner, getting tired of potato patties..... how much will the milk & butter in them affect the bread?
1.5c creme fraiche, 1/3c whipping creme, 1.5t salt, 3/4t thyme usually use 3lb yukon gold potatoes cut thin. All split into three layers. Worked the first couple of times I made it, have been having trouble ever since. Have used russets a couple of times worked once, not since. First time I posted the problem got told it was breaking, from the heat, so tried lowering, still a problem. if it is something else, with a different fix i would appreciate the info. They...
creme frache keeeps breaking on augratin potatoes-how do I keep this from happening? Have lowered the temp-recipe called for 400, decreased to 350, & increased time, but by the time taters were done, creme had broken & greasey again. Need help. Didn't happen the first couple of times I did the recipe, & really like the taste.....
posted this down in general food & didn't get a response, hope the pros have an answer for me.... I have been making a potatoes au gratin [COLOR=#006666! important][FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][COLOR=#006666! important][FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]recipe[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] that calls for a mix of 1.5c creme fraiche + 1/3c whipping cream. The first half dozen times I...