or Connect

Posts by Grumio

I like my food processor for:   cutting fat into flour for pie crust, biscuits, cracker dough, etc shredding certain things - carrots, cheese, leafy greens pureeing raw onions/garlic ginger/chili for curry base MAYONNAISE (that's what that little hole at the bottom of the feed tube's for) chopping whole canned tomatoes for tomato sauce  homemade nutella   those are a few off the top of my head.
I realize this isn't a physics forum, but if anyone has an idea what's going on here, I'd like to hear it.   Was reading a blog post about homemade yogurt & came across this in the comment thread: I was skeptical, to put it mildly. How is the bottom of the pot supposed to remember that it was cold before it got hot? What sort of force-field does this little bit of water on the bottom of the exert after you dump a half-gallon of milk on top of it?   I make yogurt all the...
A friend of mine recently mentioned that she'd made shakshula. I'd never heard of it, googled it, & clicked on the first thing that came up, the Wikipedia article, & thought, Hang on, this is huevos rancheros wearing a djellaba!   I've been making huevos rancheros since I was in high school - that salsa of onions, chilis, garlic, cumin, tomatoes, & cilantro was the first thing I ever learned to cook. Years later, when I had gotten into cooking Indian food a lot, it...
My second shot at sushi rolls: bacon & egg, bacon & asparagus. The bacon was homemade, hot-smoked (apple/orange), but "raw," not fried. The egg was Japanese-ish omelet strips, the asparagus pan-seared.   Then a little haddock with brown butter & lime, some chinese broccoli with crushed red pepper, green garlic & sweet tarragon vinegar, & some of the leftover sushi rice.   Cheap Aussie red & a friend.  Mixed berry/zin/cardamom sorbet after.  All over the map but...
True, true, but iacta alea est.  We'll see how it turns out.  That was the idea behind the orange peel in the brandy - make a little jack-leg Grand Marnier.  I have brandy; I don't have Grand Marnier.   The orange/cranberry ice cream will be in profiteroles.  And we're not doing a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, so it won't be duplicative of stuff we already had at dinner.  I actually decided to try this in order to sneak a little traditional Thanksgiving in to the...
I am tasked with ice cream for Thanksgiving, & thought orange/cranberry would be fitting.  Thought I'd run my ideas by the hive-mind for vetting:   Infuse brandy with peeled zest of one orange, then use that to macerate dried cranberries.   Reduce the juice of 3 oranges over low heat by 2/3 (~12 oz - 4 oz, I'm guessing).   Make a standard custard style vanilla ice cream base.  Add grated zest of two oranges to the hot base, strain the base again once cool,...
I want to replace some granulated sugar in an ice cream recipe with honey.  I know they don't measure the same by volume, but going by weight, would I just use the same total amount of sweetener, eg recipe calls for 5 oz sugar; will 3 oz sugar/2 oz honey get me about the same level of sweetness?   This seems to me like a "duh, yes" question, but I have this feeling I'm missing something; not taking something into account.  ty
I use bacon chopped very fine & ground lamb to make a heretical merguez.  It's very good.  
Pulled pork.  Eat it as standard Carolina-style PP, in tacos or enchiladas, in a tomato sauce over pasta, in an Asian-style noodle soup...  Grill-roasted tri-tip, beer can chicken, RIBS RIBS RIBS homemade bacon...
Making pupusas is easy, except that it isn't.  I went through a pupusa phase a while ago, & while they were fine, no one would mistake my pupusas for pupusas made by a Salvadoran.  It is an acquired skill, & one probably best acquired in childhood.