or Connect

Posts by Grumio

Yes, if the recipe calls for heating, do it.  Many gelato recipes (most, even) are frozen custards, where you heat the dairy/egg yolk mixture to ~180F/80C both for safety and to thicken the mixture & provide a creamier texture.  The proteins & emulsifiers  in egg yolk help keep ice crystals small, & in ice cream, small ice crystals = smoother texture.    I'm sure somebody else here can explain it better.
As above.  Bacon & bread fight it out for top spot.  Sauteeing onions & garlic are locked in battle in the next tier.  Wide open after that, though I'll vote for apples cooking in butter & sugar for a tarte Tatin.   Coffee, though... coffee's got a pretty strong claim... 
Beeswax -  this Cook's Illustrated "almost no-knead bread" recipe is what got me started baking in a dutch oven.  Great crust.
FYI, I just learned that when they say their lid knobs are oven-safe to 450f (232c), they mean it!  I was preheating my LC braiser at 500f (to bake bread in) & the knob popped right off.
I stand corrected.
No reason to vilify slow cookers.  They do what they do.  Some of the claims made for slow cookers, and many of the recipes put forth for them, are well worthy of vilification.
Butzy -  yes, Fahrenheit.  100-125 Celsius is the temperature range you want for smoking.  Btw, I've only used briquets with this method, lump charcoal burns hotter & faster, so if that's what you're using, you'll probably have to make some adjustments.  Also, KYH mentioned nut tree wood; fruit tree wood is also generally good.  OTOH, some of the most popular smoking woods in North America are hickory, oak & mesquite.  The tree doesn't have to bear something you can eat...
Here's a picture tutorial of how I smoke with my Weber kettle.  For this you want hardwood chunks, not chips.  You can smoke with most hardwoods; I have no idea what you have available in Zambia (btw, there is more hardwood than needed in the pictures).   I cook it to an internal temperature of 150f (66c), takes 3-4 hours.
Stones like crazy in this otherwise nifty buckwheat from Russia a local market sells...  rotten way to start the day.
It sounds like you're looking for "hints" (use a wire boiled-egg slicer to slice mushrooms!), and this may come more under the heading of advice, but I wish I'd taken these 3 precepts to heart sooner:   Buy the very best equipment you can afford.  Quality is more important than quantitiy.  Good stuff lasts a long time - in some cases, like cast-iron cookware, it'll outlast you. Get a good kitchen scale.  Cooking by weight rather than volume is not only more...