or Connect

Posts by Grumio

OK, I picked up a 3 lb piece of pork belly & will give this a try in the next day or two. I'm guessing 3 hours or so cooking time @ ~250f, wrap after an hour & a half? Please let me know if this sounds significantly off. The skin - remove it or leave it on? If left on: is it meant to become edible? Kinda hard to see that happening. Even if it is rather thin belly skin, it's still, well, leather. If not , is there any point in putting rub on it or even salting it?...
How odd - I have an old tuna jingle that gets stuck in my head too - Bum-bum-bumblebee tuna - I love Bumblebee Bumblebee too-oo-na
Any opinions on Indian mango puree? It's sweetened & must be cooked at least somewhat, since it's canned, but I think it has terrific concentrated mango flavor. Can of coconut milk, some mango puree, some simple syrup & bit of lime juice, pop it in the ice cream maker. I don't usually cook by opening cans, but that makes some astonishingly good ice cream. (& not to protest too much but I spent a few kid-years in Hawaii with mango trees in the back yard)
If I have a question, I'll try to research it myself. If that doesn't work, I'll ask it here. There will never be a perfect fit between home cooks & professionals, but I want to hear from both, & this is the only place I know of with a good mix of both. Ah, let me restate: I want to hear from people who know wtf they're talking about, & there seems to be a good number of them here. I do like to get my foodnerd on.
Pate a choux, possibly? It's a semi-cooked dough of water, butter, flour & eggs used to make cream puffs, eclairs, churros, etc. It's very simple & quick. It rises by steam, though, & I don't know if pan-frying would make that happen. But then it'll only cost you 2 eggs & half a stick of butter to find out...
I recently discovered how dangerously easy it is to make lemon curd in the microwave, & thence to passionfruit curd, & given my also recent discovery of pomegranate molasses & purchase of a tart pan, a pomegranate curd tart seems inevitable. My pastry dharma is ok. I use the food processor to cut the fat in & mix in the water by hand (well, by spatula). I've only rarely wound up with really poor pie crust; OTOH I've rarely made pie crust that is out-of-this-world good....
I've had great results making brown stock with with turkey necks. I can usually get them for a dollar a pound. Lots of collagen, & enough meat for flavor. It will cook down to a very nice glace de... turkey, too (which does not have a particularly pronounced 'turkey' flavor). Give it a whirl if you find some.
tyvm, bdl, I shall pick some up today. Practically every pastry recipe I've seen that mentions lard says something to the effect of, lard is really great, but nobody uses lard anymore, oh well... & then goes on to say nothing about how one would use lard if one decided to. So - I'm thinking pie crust here - straight lard, or lard + butter? I know - the answer to that is try it & see! Just wondering if there was SOP... Why we're lucky with lard in CA? I have a guess:...
The "no cheese with seafood" rule was one of those I decided to ignore as soon as I heard it...
And then there's the brilliant idea of using vodka in pie crust - Cook's Illustrated ran a recipe for vodka pie crust a little while back. Alcohol + flour doesn't create gluten, so you can get away with a little more liquid. Google it.