or Connect

Posts by greyeaglem

I just thought of one more thing. I am thinking of a town where my cousins live and how they told me a few years back that it was a pity I didn't live there as there were three people who were retiring and wanting to sell their restaurants with no takers. Maybe you can look around for an opportunity like that? If nothing else, you may be able to lease the place with an option to buy, and it it doesn't work out, you're not our all that much. Some owners will cut you a break...
Alligator. Kind of expensive now, but people liked it when I had it and I'm in a very conservative area. You can make it several ways, but when I first tasted it, it reminded me of pork cutlets, so that's how I made it. Breaded and deep fried. Other people used it in gumbos. I wanted to do a "swamp platter" but never got it going. I had a huge seafood platter that served 2 people, and I wanted to do it like that. It would have had catfish, frog legs, alligator, crawfish...
It is. It goes according to cook temp. Lowest on top, highest (chicken) on the bottom.
Number 6 isn't, but it should be, and was in my kitchens. When cooks have to scrub their own burnt pans, they tend to watch more closely and not burn them. Accidents happen, but even when in the executive chef position, if I burned a pan, I washed it myself. If I couldn't for some reason, I would apologize profusely to the dishwasher and he would get a couple of drinks on me after work. I would sometimes soak a pan until I could get to it, but that didn't indicate I was...
I was an executive chef and I still wound up being the one to unplug the grease trap and toilets. If I needed plates and the dishwasher was backed up, I'd go over and help him. Once I had to change out a faucet in the dish area during a Saturday night supper rush because it was spraying water everywhere. It was faster to replace the whole unit than try to fix it. Fortunately we had an extra one.
I found the best threat was cleaning out the grease trap. That was your punishment if I caught you with your phone on the line. Nothing I hate worse than going to a restaurant and seeing a worker on their phone or their phone lying a counter anywhere near food. People take their phones everywhere, including in the bathroom. I'd love to take one to a lab and have it tested for bacteria. They have to be worse than money for being dirty.
If you can possibly stay away from investors, I very, very strongly encourage you to do so. Especially if they are people who have no restaurant experience. You cannot apply the same standards for profit, etc. as you do to other businesses in the same time frame. Restaurants just don't work the same way as you have no way of knowing from one day to the next how many people will come through your door and it takes awhile to establish a solid clientele. At least until the...
The problem here is a snafu. The U.S. catfish producers shot themselves in the foot by insisting that the Vietnamese fish wasn't catfish. They were worried about the competition with their product, and so went to great lengths to say it wasn't catfish so that it couldn't be labeled as such. Now they want the government to include it in the catfish genus so it comes under the same criteria as the U.S product. The argument results because you can't have it both ways.
You shouldn't buy it anyway. It's raised about the same way tilapia is. A much better, affordable and sustainable fish is Cape Capensis. It's a mild flavored fish from South Africa with a texture similar to catfish. It was extremely popular at a seafood restaurant that I used to run, and I paid just over 3.00 per pound for it at that time. Vietnamese catfish is known by several names, usually swai or pongo.. If you want catfish, either buy wild caught or farmed US catfish....
Some real horror stories here. I never had that much trouble with any supplier. I never wasted time trying to negotiate prices. If they know you do that, they just mark up the price before they come around so you can feel good about getting three cents off on a pound of something. Not wasting my time. I'd tell my suppliers I expect the best price they can give me, and if they can't I'll get it elsewhere. I never had a problem returning things or getting credit. I was lucky...