or Connect

Posts by greyeaglem

The trouble with that is there is a season on walleye. They fish it from the middle of May until the middle of June, so the four or five week season is the only time you can get it fresh. After that it's all frozen because the season is done. If you are in an area where people like walleye (my area) and you tell them they can only have it in May and June because you won't buy frozen, they will lynch you. I ran a restaurant that was around 70-80 seats, open 5-6 hrs. per day...
We had a chef in my town that had come from Europe. He was a nice man and much respected as a chef. When he made an omelet, he always added about a teaspoon or slightly more of ice water to the eggs immediately before dumping them in the pan. It made his omelets light and tender. They would actually make a hissing sound when you cut off a piece. I don't know why that works. I think it's because the water is so cold that it doesn't heat up until the eggs are almost cooked...
I live in Minnesota, the home of the Friday night fish fry. We all use frozen cod. I personally have no problem using frozen cod as that's all that's available around here. I have also used pollock with good results. It depends on the quality of the pollack. I worked at a place that was wildly popular for it's fish fry. When I first started there, they used cod. Then it went on the endangered list, and the owner switched to pollock. This was in the early 80s. We always...
Look in the trash can. It sounds odd, but examining the trash can tell a story. If there's a lot of food coming back on the plates, then your portions are too big. I worked in a place where I could have run another restaurant with just what was in the trash can. Most of their problem was poor timing resulting in constant refires. Is staff throwing away things that could be reused, such as sour cream and butter packets? They add up fast. Are they scraping containers out? I...
I see a lack of cohesiveness in the menu. There are a lot of old school dishes on there, and there's nothing wrong with that, depending on your clientele and location. For instance, people tend to pick on shrimp cocktail as being out of date. But the fact is, people like them. Applying the "old school" logic, we could say hamburgers are out dated and should be dumped. The lack of direction on the menu troubles me as I see it as indecisiveness on what you want your...
That's when you tell them you're a chef, not a miracle worker. When what you really want to say is a good customer wouldn't ask for something that ridiculous. And if she was worried about low fat, she should have asked for Hollandaise with no butter. Low fat diet, cut the egg yolk and keep the butter. I'm surprised my head isn't full of dents from banging it on the wall.
That's why you tell them if they want pretzel buns they need to order the item that comes on them. People now think they need to be catered to at every turn, and restaurants encourage it by falling over backwards to do it. While you're messing around with the "special" person's order, everybody else is being inconvenienced by having to wait longer for their food. The focus now seems to be on pleasing the "special" person and everyone else can go to hell. It's a menu, not a...
That's what Pittsburgh is. When somebody ordered it I would use a cast iron frying pan. They used to call it char rare, but now they say Pittsburgh or black and blue. 
While I would never say anything to the owner, I kind of get that. Silverware that's too thin or thick can be awkward to handle. I also don't like the cheap Windsor silverware a lot of places have. I once saw some really nice looking silverware I was going to buy for home, until I picked it up. It was really uncomfortable to hold. It's like knife handles. Certain styles suit different people.
Well, it makes sense. If you're going to drown, it would be a shame to not have your dessert first. I think I'd take two along to eat while waiting in line for the life boat.