or Connect

Posts by greyeaglem

I hear you.  I'm surprised your wife didn't blow the engine and it wasn't more than a head gasket. Wow! And then they wonder why we drink. I wonder why we don't drink more!
Well you'll always have those people that think running a food establishment is easy. There is no shortage of them out there. But I consider that simple stupidity. And I have run across those people throughout the years. But even the ones that weren't the brightest were at least trainable. To try to train someone now is like talking to a brick wall. They don't seem to pay attention and are more focused with coming up with new ideas and improvements for processes they don't...
Love this post! So on the mark. They're going to have to dumb it down for these people because otherwise they are totally unemployable. I hear this from people in other industries too. They have us collectively ripping our hair out. According to them, they feel the future for jobs is in creating apps and games. So while they're making up games and apps for each other, who's picking up the trash? That will never dawn on them. I love the movie Idiocracy because it's so true,...
I went to a local technical/ trade school. The school is still there but the course was discontinued years ago. We were taught a basic course that included baking and meat cutting. This was during the nouvelle cuisine era when the classic sauces were considered passe and unnecessary. Consequently we spent little time in that area. As a trade school, all classes were working classes so our class provided the lunch service. That school population ate good! It gave us an...
I have been in this business a lot of years and have trained people from different generations. It was only recently that I found I had apparently lost my ability to train. So maybe it's me. But I'm not doing anything different than I ever did. The changes I have noticed between previous generations and (with very few exceptions) this one, is the current generation sees everyone as their equal. They don't recognize authority figures as such, so they don't understand that...
When I was a little kid salt cod was a common item everyone ate. It was soaked and rinsed about three times to get the salt out. Then it was stirred into a bechemel sauce and served over toast. You can add peas, hard boiled eggs, whatever you want. It's actually better than it sounds. I would also think it would work in a fish patty. Cracker crumbs, grated onion, dill weed, lemon juice, raw egg and fish. Mix together and fry in patties. Now I'm hungry, darn it.
Very interesting point about listening. I never heard anyone mention that before, and it has never occurred to me to do that except for food in the deep fryer. I do use my ears for that.
If you see something to be done (floor needs sweeping, counter needs to be wiped off etc.) do it without someone telling you. My biggest problem before I left this business, and one of the main reasons I left, was people who flat out could not be trained. They could not handle being told what to do and did not seem to be capable of simply following directions. They all had their own ideas about how things should be done and how they could "improve" on set recipes, etc. If...
Chefedb, I thought U.S Foods and Sysco merged last year. Maybe it wound up not going through. I don't know, I quit the business right about that time.
Unfortunately, with all these companies merging, it will only get worse. I once threatened to pull my business from Cysco and five minutes later had the regional vice president on the house phone and the seafood purchasing manager on my cell at the same time. Those days I'm sure are long gone. I had enough and got out of this business a year ago. Not worth it, between idiot suppliers and people you can't train, I had it.