or Connect

Posts by greyeaglem

We recently got blasted in an email that we would/could not create a five course personalized vegetarian menu for New Year's Eve this year. Mind you, there is a vegetarian course offered for each of our five courses on our NYE menu......they wanted to essentially create THEIR OWN five course menu for their four person party and could not comprehend why we wouldn't let them do so.....they then went on and ranted that they hope we go out of business.     Perfect...
MessyJ25, I'm assuming two people were splitting that burger (otherwise you might be dealing with a split personality!) I had a friend of mine come in where I was working and as a joke ordered a burger  well done on the inside and rare on the outside. I did it. I took two hamburger patties and cooked them both on one side. Pulled off the grill, stacked together with cooked sides in and pressed the edges together. Then I grilled lightly on both sides. Should have seen the...
I also just remembered Mom asking for custard. I have never tried this, but I think you could substitute coconut milk for the milk in the recipe. I have done this with pie filling for lactose intolerant people using a standard cream pie filling recipe and just substituting the coconut milk in the same amount as the milk. Never tried this with almond milk or soy milk, but I would think it would work the same. I am very pleased to hear your mom is doing better.
You are very welcome. I'm pleased I could be of some help, little as it is. My thoughts are with you. I went through a similar situation with my own mother two years ago. That's about all I was good for at that time, making all her favorite things for the last time. Such a helpless feeling.
I made avgolemona soup one night and one of my favorite customers liked it so much that I sent some home with him. He had lung cancer and had not been eating much of anything but ate his entire bowl of soup. It is a Greek chicken based soup that can be served with or without the chicken, I poach chicken breasts in chicken stock with rough cut celery carrots and onion that is removed once the chicken is cooked. I also add garlic and rosemary to this which is also strained...
You didn't say what you did in the fine dining field. Knowing that would help us give you better advice I think.
Unfortunately, knowing how to cook is not enough. It's one thing to plan out a dinner party for your friends and make some outstanding dishes with a whole day to do so, It's another thing to slap out 100 orders of the same thing while people are waiting. I always tell people the difference is between having a nice dinner party at home and cooking in a restaurant is like the difference between painting a picture and painting a house. In the restaurant, we're painting the...
Gee Pump, sounds like you have a Nanny State worse than ours. I don't know how Canadian law works, but I can't ask any potential employees about their age, marital status, religion, if they have kids, etc. Therefore I know nothing. If your boyfriend or spouse beats the crap out of you every night, and you come to work with black eyes, I am not legally able to ask you about that. I can tell you to cover up your bruises before you wait on my customers (comes under dress...
Theft is rampant in the food industry. I know that. I have always known that, and yet after all these years I still am shocked when I catch somebody. And it's always the last person you would think. I hate to waste food, so I would rather have an employee take it home than see it in the trash. It is very common for a chef to order 7 prime ribs for New Year's eve, one of which goes immediately into his trunk. Of course his sous chef knows this, so he figures it's ok for...