or Connect

Posts by coolJ

Blanc Mange, roughly speaking, is a cornstarch pudding, and is cheap to make
well I've never made "jerk" spice before, but one mix that I tend to use more often, is equal parts salt, black pepper adn granulated garlic. nothing fancy or spicy but it works for simple seasoning.
well first of all welcome aboard Ruth, hope you'll find yourself at home here. Speaking of Kitchen Confidential, this is a funny anecdote, I recently borrowed both Kitchen Confidential and A Cook's Tour from the local library, now in my mind I figured I would the only person that would try to sign out both books at the same time, but when I had gone in to the library in the first week of December, to borrow the books, I found out how wrong I was, I had to reserve both...
I might have brought this topic up before, but can't really remember. what I am trying to figure out is what makes food "Canadian" or "American", I mean if you mention Greek or Chinese, or Russian food, there are things that pop in to your head right away, but with America and Canada being so ethinically and culturally diverse, and with alot of our dishes having been brought over from the old countries. If a person said hey we're going out for Canadian / American food,...
Okay, so I get to clean the grills and flat tops everyday, but sometimes when I take the brick to the flat top and start scrubbing away, it "squeels" unbelievably loud at a such a high pitch that it almost shatters my eardrums (exaggeration), was just wondering if anyone else has encountered this, or if there is anything I can do to make sure it doesn't happen, I've tried using extra oil., I've even tried soaking the brick in oil to reduce some of the surface...
Rich, check out Professional Cooking by Wayne Gisslen, there is a good section on basic knife cuts, complete with pictures. If you get this book get the third edition or newer.
I'm going to jump right in with a question for everyone else who is in the industry. What is happening is this, I'm working a shift that i don't hate, but am not particularly in love with either (graveyards), my boss tells me and others that I am the most reliable staffer on my shift, but in the same breath, he can't get anyone to work my days off with out a fight, let alone on a regular basis, so that I can have a break. which results in the fact that I have to work...
Well, it's been awhile. I figure this is the best forum for me to start in, just wanted to say hi, and that I'm still kicking around. I've been so busy with work and volunteer activities that hanging out here at cheftalk, has been more of a dream than a reality for me the past few weeks. what's new with me ?? not a lot, I'm working like crazy, my manager can't find anyone to work my days off, and when he does, they don't last. I'm on my third replacement right now since...
Hello all, I've got a two part request here first part is I've come up with an idea for a recipe and I'd like someone to test it out and give me some feed back. Thanksgiving is coming up next week and I'm into trying something non traditional every year. I'm thinking I'll call this dish cunchy asian cranberry coleslaw. recipe is kinda rough estimates 1 or 2 carrots julienne 2 parts green cabbage 1 part red cabbage toasted chow mein noodles (for garnish) dried...
sorry, it took me a while to get back to this thread. I actually have my foot almost in the door at two other places, one is a part time catering position and the other is a part time restaurant gig. so things are looking pretty good. The industry seems to have changed a bit here, before when I applied for part time in conjunction with my regular job, nobody seemed to want to take a chance, but now people are willing to talk.