or Connect

Posts by MikeLM

Some years ago I used a website to get info and recommendations about restaurants as we traveled.  This was a couple of computers ago, and I can't remember what it was.   Could some of you direct me to an equivalent Site?  My son in driving from Chicago to Lubbock TX in the next couple of days and I'd like to give him some suggestions.   Thanks for your help.   Mike
I'm with teamfat   "Best cornbread is baked in a heavily buttered cast iron skillet. And yes, cheese, jalapenos, onions and such..."   We like the red-hot iron skillet approach, though we favor bacon grease as the base.  Plenty of time for lots of butter at the table.  All those adds. Crumbled bacon is good too; add enough stuff and you've got a meal.   We use the ATK recipe for Southern-style (not-sweet) cornbread, making it with Bob's Red Mill brand stone-ground...
Well, I guess that's nice, Luc, but... what are all those funny squiggles and dots that are over the letters in your post?  Maybe you should get your computer cleaned!   Mike      Just kidding and... Best Christmas wishes to you, too, and a Happy New Year!  
Boy, you guys have to do everything in two languages, don't you!    Seriously, your O Canada is one of  THE MOST BEAUTIFUL Anthems I am aware of.  You can play it for me any time, any place!   Mike   (I can't salute, but will come to attention)
hahsgyahba...   I'm sorry, but your aspiration/dream scares the hell out of me. In the extremely unlikely event you could get financing, you are not remotely equipped to make a successful venture in this hugely demanding business.  I've started a couple of businesses - one still operating after thirty or so years - that are vastly simpler than operating a restaurant.  I could hock my house, and was well qualified to write a professional business plan, and I got thrown...
I went to pre-Castro Havana four or five times- it was the greatest liberty port I ever hit. You could get into more trouble, for less money, that any other place I ever visited.     If it's still going, go to Sloppy Joe's bar and grill,  and order their signature sandwich (not a Cubano which has become popular at Cuban-themed restaurants here) but the Especial which was a two-inch pile of cured meats, cold cuts, and cheeses on the wonderful Cuban rye bread. Don't...
Teamfat-   You mentioned "a church" in your first post.  Would that happen to be a Mormon Church?  I've known just a few, but have been deeply impressed.   Just curious.   Mike
Chris-   Terrific photo essay!  I understand better why Spain is now considered the culinary capital of Europe. I visited Barcelona many, many years ago and had the dinner of my lifetime at Los Caracoles. It was over 100 years old at the time, and from the internet it still seems to be going strong.   As for "I'm pretty sure the Spanish locals are glad too! " I'm not too sure about that.  I assume the tourist dollar is a mainstay of the local economy, and if the...
mimi-   I'm pretty sure your neighbor could indeed burn a flag to express his disapproval of some policy, politics, or conditions of the country.   And no, it hasn't been overturned and I'd strongly suggest that you don't hold your breath until it is.     Sorry,   Mike
"Specific to the amendment that gives every citizen the right to disrespect Old Glory."   mimi-   There is no such amendment.  Some of our out-of-control judges decided that disrespecting the flag was an aspect of freedom of speech.  That's defined by the First Amendment, which says nothing whatever about disrespect.  That was just made up by some judges - for good measure they threw in burning the flag in public, and walking or spitting on it.. (I think it was the...