or Connect

Posts by MikeLM

If it is a weird stain of some kind, try my simmered dishwasher detergent recipe - 1/4" water, tsp of D/W detergent, simmer for a few minutes WITH VENT FAN ON HIGH.  That has taken out any stain that I have so far achieved, some of them pretty impressive.   If it's minor corrosion, do you guys think a fine automotive rubbing compound might work it out? With a lot of elbow grease.  If that works, then season it.   Mike
I'm grateful for the responses so far. Keep 'em coming;  I will cook these this weekend, so there's still time. I will definitely report back on my opinion of the quality, since at $18/lb they are way less expensive that the very nice ones at WF- in the upper $20's, usually.    Pete- I think you've pushed me off the bacon.  If they're as good as I'm hoping, then they are too good to be confused with bacon.  The coulis, though, strikes me as way more assertive than tartar...
"It's amazing what a difference there is between 5.8 and 6.1"   Well, it is a logarithmic scale...   Mike
Just got some nice-looking frozen sea scallops from TJ's and I'd like to make a production out of them. I'm pretty sure they are dry-pack- nothing but "scallop"  listed for ingredients. The TJ's staff didn't know.   Thinking along these lines...   Thaw overnight, rinse off, pat very dry. Bring to 122*F in my Mastercraft electric smoker, which can hold a temp very well. Not sure about smoke- see below   Wrap with my housemade bacon - almost cooked - which has plenty...
HOW'S THE FRENCH LAUNDRY???           on reflection- I gather you have to reserve about one year ahead of when you want to dine.   Wonder how the people with reservations for tonight feel?      Mike
Thank you  for this beautiful culinary travelogue, Koukou'!   Takes me back to our two, three-week vacation tours in Greece, including a week on Crete. They were conducted by a college professor of Greek extraction who spoke it like a native, and had been doing these groups for years. He had a roster of places to visit, lodge, and eat - many wonderful small mom-and-pop tavernas  where we ate inexpensively but very well: no steam tables.  We acquired a love of Greek food...
Really outstanding video... hope you will give us more. I'm going to try this for sure. Thanks Mike
We bought some nice, but underripe fresh figs at the local supermarket. We washed them, vacpacked several per package, and stored in the fridge for about four days to ripen up a little. Lots of mold spots when we opened one package up, and we tossed the whole batch. We need some advice! Wash with some Chlorox? Blanch first? Don't vac? Eat the mold? How should we handle this? Kind of hate to miss the ripe-fig season, and the store ones are not usually quite ready to...
Got a MasterBuilt electric smoker recently - our condo prohibited open-flame cookers a while back - and we have been very pleased with its performance.  Its' controls allow precise time and temperature setting, and have a remote-reading feature. We're making our own bacon now and it's great, with a shot of garlic in the spice mix for the brine.  We've stuck to hickory and apple for the bacon smoke, so far.   Our son discovered pecan when he moved to Houston.  He was...
Funny experience of "sharing"...   We attended the International Chili Cookoff in Terlingua, TX a few years ago: you want to talk about COMPETITION!!  Three thousand people camping around a ghost town in the middle of the Texas Panhandle desert  for the better part of a week- mostly observers, as we were - but they really pounded the rivalry between contestants. All the talk was of secret ingredients and mysterious spices.  Beans, as you probably know, are...