Posts by MikeLM

Mike9 and Scott...   Thanks to both of you for your responses.  Interesting references, both.   Mike 
Best I remember from my two trips to Greece, it's pronounced YEH-ross, with a little bit of a roll on the "r."   The meat on the ones at our favorite street stand in Athens did not look anything like the American version sliced from the loaf on the vertical roaster.  It looked to me like they had filleted a hamster and grilled it. After our first visit, we referred to it as "the hamster stand."   I Pittsburgh it is GUY-ros.  There is a whole section in one museum there...
 Well- don't keep us in suspense...      WHAT HAPPENED?   Mike
Great thread !     (Anecdote, not recipe...)   When we lived on Puget Sound,, we invited a certified mushroom expert to come and guide us.  With her and a couple neighbors we spent a morning in the woods of the Kitsap Peninsula searching and picking, returning with a half-bushel of fresh Chanterelles.  She pointed out several noxious lookalikes of  popular varieties, which we of course avoided.   She came back with us and shared a luxurious lunch. This was the key...
Years ago when I was stationed in Norfolk, the base had large garbage dumpsters on the piers, many prominently labelled EDIBLE GARBAGE.  Filled with galley waste, the contents were sold to regional hog farmers, where they became, in due time, Smithfield Hams and other fine products.  I understand this is no longer the practice, and with the elimination of this kind of nourishment , the parasites are no longer a problem.   Enjoy your medium-rare pork.   Mike
Our favorite Mexican place (out of many nearby) is a hole-in-the-wall, mom-and-pop place with about 30 seats. A prime attraction, for us, is the basket of paper-thin and crisp-as-glass chips hot out of the oil served within three or four minutes of our being seated.  They are accompanied by two squeeze bottles of creamy salsa, one well-flavored and the other well-flavored with a tingling bite of heat.  Sensational!   Enough adjectives for one day...   Mike Definitely...
Yeah, Mimi...   With all the "soaking and scrubbing" it sounds like the real thing.  When I first tasted one at age four, at my father's family's farm near Cape Girardeau, I announced that I didn't want to eat anything else for the rest of my life.   The closest I've been able to come to that wish is to order one for each Christmas for the last thirty or so years.  We're gnawing on one this year from Tennessee, and I hope it lasts 'till March or April. This time of...
Mimi-   You're in Texas, so I assume country hams are available locally.  You probably know already, but they must be salted, smoked, and hung to cure for at least one year to be country ham.  If they're not available locally, I can send you links for some reliable smokehouses in Kentucky, Tennessee, or other southern states.  Smithfield, of course, is the industrial version, and it's good, but I prefer the work of small, artisanal smokehouses.   Mike   and,...
The response to that is...   "No, it won't but life will certainly seem longer."   Mike      Hey, but MERRY CHRISTMAS anyway.   M
Jeez... just over ten years ago I (double)posted that fruitcake message.  Tomorrow I'm buying the ingredients for this year's batch. Only making five or six, instead of my former run of fifteen, so won't be keeping any for several years.  I used to do that, though, and ate at least one that was four years old.  I'm still here    Mike     Oh, and MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL.