or Connect

Posts by MikeLM

My son, an engineer with a multi-national, was on his first trip to Taiwan and at lunchtime the engineering staff announced they had a special treat; they proudly took him to..  a McDonald's.   He later said he hadn't been in a McD in about eight years and, with any luck, it would be another eight before he was in one again. As far as I know, he has succeeded in keeping that resolve.   He also says that, when the crew takes you to a local restaurant (Chinese,...
"...bacon that is battered and deep fried, topped with gravy. I'd like to try it at least once.   mjb."   That would be your Last Supper, right?   Mike  
KouKou' -   Thanks. That's pretty funny.   Hope you and family have a great one!   Mike
Just watched the opening ceremonies of a Chicago Black Hawks hockey game in Edmonton. They sang the national anthems of both countries.  The camera showed many views of the audience. All were standing, but NOBODY had their hand over their heart, including the American team members.   As I understand it, this is definitely the etiquette in the US. Is Canada different?     Just curious; I know we've got a bunch of Canucks hanging around here.    Mike  
My son spent the afternoon helping his buddy the chef with some work at the restaurant, and he's coming home with a truffle and some truffle oil.  I'm excited and just realized I haven't the faintest idea what to do with the truffle.  First off, how long does it keep?   Second, what's the best way to explore the cuisine of the truffle?  I gather pasta is a good subject to start with; could it be used to enhance steak?   I'd greatly appreciate any and all suggestions,...
TURKEY STUFFING WITH BRAZIL NUTS   Finally located the recipe:...   this is enough for a six-or-eight person dinner   2     14-oz       Packaged stuffing mix - "Sage and Herb" 2    batches     Cornbread     we like ATK's Best Recipes "Golden Northern                                     Cornbread,"  but any non-sweet cornbread made with coarse, stone-                       ground cornmeal - we like Bob's Red Mill  brand - is fine.                        Make a couple...
Our Traditional stuffing with Brazil nuts - I'll have the recipe this afternoon - is simple: two bags commercial stuffing  mix, two batches stale cornbread made with Bob's Red Mill cornmeal, and a portion of roughly-chopped Brazil nuts, formerly shelled by hand, now bought pre-shelled from Trader Joe's.    Anybody know of a really good commercial turkey stock?   We're not doing the turkey, so we won't conveniently have the various spare parts to simmer up.  If we have...
"I've not had much luck here going to the shores of The Great Salt Lake waiting for the fishing boats to come in."     mjb.   That's funny, I thought there was a big salt cod fishery there...   Mike
My deepest respects to you, Teamfat.  And good luck jobwise.   Mike 
That clip was fun.  I hadn't thought of ol' Justin for years.  I enjoyed him a long time until the Cajun schtick just got too thick and kind of wore out.   We traveled often between Chicago and Houston, and always made sure to go by way of NO and the Cajun Country. (Which was more fun and a whole lot less expensive than NO.) As far as we could tell, it just wasn't possible to find a poor restaurant in the Cajun Country.   On one visit, we discovered how much the Cajun...