or Connect

Posts by MikeLM

Lenny-   You will be surprised how kind, helpful, and supportive this community is,  You would be well advised to stick around and lay some more questions on us.   Me, I can't help because I'm a rampant carnivore, but others certainly will.   Mike
Terry-   If you're a sausage enthusiast you have probably heard of or been to Randy Ream's Elburn Market; Elburn is about 45 miles east of the city, out Roosevelt Road if you want a nice drive in the  country, or out I-88 to Spring Green and up Illinois 47 if you are in more of a hurry.   His store walls are literally covered with framed awards for his sausages, especially his bratwurst. He does several varities of hot dogs, too.Absolutely everything he makes, though,...
We've had great satisfaction from a medium-level Bosch for over 12 years. It was pricey, but it's  virtually silent, which we like. In fact, what clinched our purchase was standing at a  counter in a store with several D/W's under it and looking at a brochure with the salesman. After a few minutes he pointed to the Bosch we were standing in front of and asked..."notice anything about this one?"  We said no and he said..."It's running.     We bought it and have been very...
You may be too young to remember the Frugal Gourmet's often-repeated mantra   "Cold oil, hot pan... food won't stick!"   No idea why that's so, but if the Froog said it it's bound to be true.   MIke   
--Dagger-   Well, you've got the basics to give it a try.  Here's a recipe for the classic, even though Emeril comes from Fall River, MA.   http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/classic-chicago-hot-dog-recipe.html#!   Remember-  NEVER catsup!   Enjoy   Mike
Go to your BBQ supply place and get some alderwood chips; grill the salmon with these added. If he doesn't like it then, give up.   It's the classic Pacific Northwest preparation.   Mike.
"...supposed to be Chicago hot dogs what ever that means"    Well, that means a lot!   The Chicago hot dog is a Vienna Beef all-beef, natural casing dog on a steamed poppy-seed bun which is combined with a very specific list of toppings to make The Chicago Hot Dog.  If any are omitted, it ain't a Chicago Hot Dog.  If you ask for Ketchup you will be asked to leave the store.   We take this matter very seriously.   Mike
I posted this several years ago-   When my son owned a cabinet shop, he made a lot of cutting boards to utilize scraps.  He found research papers from the University of Wisconsin/Madison Department of Food Science that concluded that USP mineral oil was really the only choice for oiling boards as it never became rancid, whereas all nut/vegetable oils definitely did.   If you make a board, use TiteBond III glue, which is USDA approved for foodservice use, waterproof,...
What's wrong with USDA-approved mineral oil?  It's the only treatment that doesn't go rancid and it is also food safe. Is your car powered by non-petroleum-based fuel?   Mke  
Sushichef Welcome!   I'm sure many of the community would welcome some expert advice about sushi/sashimi, and I hope you will hang around and participate.     You will find that if you have any questions other than your specialty there are many who will generously respond with both amateur and professional advice, techniques, and suggestions.   Looking forward to having you here.   Mike