or Connect

Posts by MikeLM

KouKou'...   Congratulations on a well-deserved win!   I've never liked eggplant, but by golly, I'm going to try yours and Teamfat's. Could you give us enough details that I can duplicate your terrine just the way you made it?   Certainly doesn't have to be as elaborately detailed as his post.   Thanks   Mike
Dehydrate--- great idea!   If you have a convection oven,, it should have a dehydrate setting.   Mike
The bureaucrats are taking good care of us, though...   We recently bought a package of salt, with an expiration date.   It wasn't another fifty or eighty million years away, either, just a date sometime in the early years of the Clinton administration.    Mike   
"...the taste of  melting snow,mixed with the fur off the gloves, rock salt,  dirt, bird seed, dog poop, etc."   Oh, yum!   Is this how you developed your taste for food and passion for cooking?    Mike  
`Did we ever find out why Boar left?  I, too, miss him.   Mike
I'm an onion ring fanatic but... alas, it's hard to find good ones in restaurants and hard to make good ones at home.  The many restaurants in the Texas-based Pappas chain make the best I've ever had.  There's a Pappadeaux Restaurant (Cajun-themed) near me in the Chicago area, and we go there regularly to restore our faith in humanity with onion rings and fried calamari.   There are dozens of Pappas operations in both Dallas and Houston:  Pappamia (Italian), Pappacito...
Justin Wilson was a hoot indeed, but mostly a poseur.  His fractured English belied his advanced degrees in Industrial Engineering; he worked as a Safety Engineer in northern industries during WW II. His reputation as a humorist was  based on telling "Polish jokes" but with Cajuns as the nitwit foils of the stories instead of Polakis.   The Cajuns hated that, especially as he was only half Cajun- one parent was Cajun, the other wasn't. They vehemently felt he wasn't...
Years ago we had a big lamb roast. We fed the trimmings - mostly fat - to our dog, who eagerly ate it all.  It gave her gas which smelled like the end of the world.  We had to lock her out of the house for three days  She was heartbroken and couldn't understand what it was she did that we would treat her so badly. Fortunately we were in Southern California at the time, so she didn't freeze.   Don't feed the trims to your pet!   Mike  
Hey, Terry-   That really strikes a spark! We discovered Adele Davis' first book, Let's Cook It Right about the time the first kids showed up, and my wife started using it for most of our cooking.  It was a little persnickety, but I never objected because the dishes were so tasty. So they all grew up on lots of yogurt, wheat germ, brewer's yeast, blackstrap molasses, and other stuff that has since become a lot more commonplace.  A lot of it was really hard to find at the...
I believe some of you car nuts on this site also have some interest in food, so many of you probably know that Carroll Shelby, along with Frank X Tolbert (author of the iconic A Bowl of Red,)  were founders of the International Chili Cookoff held annually in the ghost town of Terlingua, Texas. The first week of every November, the population of Terlingua  swells from about 14 people to three or four thousand, as the huge competition takes place. Most are spectators as we...