or Connect

Posts by MikeLM

Years ago we had a big lamb roast. We fed the trimmings - mostly fat - to our dog, who eagerly ate it all.  It gave her gas which smelled like the end of the world.  We had to lock her out of the house for three days  She was heartbroken and couldn't understand what it was she did that we would treat her so badly. Fortunately we were in Southern California at the time, so she didn't freeze.   Don't feed the trims to your pet!   Mike  
Hey, Terry-   That really strikes a spark! We discovered Adele Davis' first book, Let's Cook It Right about the time the first kids showed up, and my wife started using it for most of our cooking.  It was a little persnickety, but I never objected because the dishes were so tasty. So they all grew up on lots of yogurt, wheat germ, brewer's yeast, blackstrap molasses, and other stuff that has since become a lot more commonplace.  A lot of it was really hard to find at the...
I believe some of you car nuts on this site also have some interest in food, so many of you probably know that Carroll Shelby, along with Frank X Tolbert (author of the iconic A Bowl of Red,)  were founders of the International Chili Cookoff held annually in the ghost town of Terlingua, Texas. The first week of every November, the population of Terlingua  swells from about 14 people to three or four thousand, as the huge competition takes place. Most are spectators as we...
A few years ago I read of a blind wine competition and tasting at the California State Fair.where somebody entered a Two-Buck Chuck and it was declared the winner in its class and vintage, to the embarrassment of many and the amusement of quite a few!   I hope this is not one of those way-too-good-to-be-true anecdotes, but I don't know where to go to verify  it.   Appreciate some knowledgeable person checking it, or providing a reference  I'll ask a TJ's manager next...
Yeah, when we get canned tuna, Genova in olive oil is our choice.   Mike
Couple of things in particular...   My Missouri ancestors' home-smoked, cured, and aged ham, which I have described often here.  Have to get it from a Southern smokehouse, now.   A standby from my mother's family - also Missouri -  and a forever family favorite is "Greasy Old Spaghetti."   She would partially cook a big mess of spaghetti, put it in a baking pan in the oven, below a nice big pork roast on a rack, and roast the two until the pork was well done, letting...
Don't some of yor remember?  The Frugal Gourmet always used an 18" piece of 2 x 4 lumber.   Cheap and effective.   Mike   
Yeah, I vaguely remember that; you wrapped your meal in heavy foil, put it on the exhaust manifold, and drove until dinnertime.  That was before I became a foodie, so I never tried it.    Mike    
Phil-   Look through these research articles   http://www.bing.com/search?q=cutting%20board%20research%20food%20sciences%20institute%20university%20of%20wisconsin&qs=n&form=QBRE&pq=cutting%20board%20research%20food%20sciences%20institute%20university%20of%20wisconsin&sc=0-0&sp=-1&sk=&cvid=1718cd4466ef4f6190f159181472535e   Mike
A room-temp fridge is simply a storage cabinet.  You need a new/serviced refrigerator.   Mike   Is this a gag?  April Fool's was a couple days ago.   Mike