Posts by MikeLM

Some time ago I purchased a grinder of salt... with an expiration date!   The salt is maybe three million years old,  but it will be unsafe to eat come next July 27?   Your government at work, keeping you safe.    Mike I think I'm overtaxed
When my son had a cabinet shop he built dozens if not hundreds of maple cutting boards, and he followed several research papers on cutting board technology from the Food Science Department of the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee.  They said any plant-derived oils will become rancid, but not USP mineral oil and that soap or detergent  removed much of the oil which is protecting the board. They also cited experiments that demonstrated that wooden boards do indeed absorb...
Toxicant and Steve pretty well covered the ground. Oiled with USP mineral oil, which NEVER becomes rancid, wipe dry and store on edge or balanced on one corner.  NEVER use soap or detergent, and NEVER use any other oil- ALL others will become rancid  sooner or later   Hope I've made myself CLEAR.   Mike  
I don't see the point of this question.   I've never had such a problem.   Mike    
Mike9 and Scott...   Thanks to both of you for your responses.  Interesting references, both.   Mike 
Best I remember from my two trips to Greece, it's pronounced YEH-ross, with a little bit of a roll on the "r."   The meat on the ones at our favorite street stand in Athens did not look anything like the American version sliced from the loaf on the vertical roaster.  It looked to me like they had filleted a hamster and grilled it. After our first visit, we referred to it as "the hamster stand."   I Pittsburgh it is GUY-ros.  There is a whole section in one museum there...
 Well- don't keep us in suspense...      WHAT HAPPENED?   Mike
Great thread !     (Anecdote, not recipe...)   When we lived on Puget Sound,, we invited a certified mushroom expert to come and guide us.  With her and a couple neighbors we spent a morning in the woods of the Kitsap Peninsula searching and picking, returning with a half-bushel of fresh Chanterelles.  She pointed out several noxious lookalikes of  popular varieties, which we of course avoided.   She came back with us and shared a luxurious lunch. This was the key...
Years ago when I was stationed in Norfolk, the base had large garbage dumpsters on the piers, many prominently labelled EDIBLE GARBAGE.  Filled with galley waste, the contents were sold to regional hog farmers, where they became, in due time, Smithfield Hams and other fine products.  I understand this is no longer the practice, and with the elimination of this kind of nourishment , the parasites are no longer a problem.   Enjoy your medium-rare pork.   Mike
Our favorite Mexican place (out of many nearby) is a hole-in-the-wall, mom-and-pop place with about 30 seats. A prime attraction, for us, is the basket of paper-thin and crisp-as-glass chips hot out of the oil served within three or four minutes of our being seated.  They are accompanied by two squeeze bottles of creamy salsa, one well-flavored and the other well-flavored with a tingling bite of heat.  Sensational!   Enough adjectives for one day...   Mike Definitely...