or Connect

Posts by MikeLM

We do the same prep, then into the pressure cooker 30 minutes at 15 psi. Let cool, strain. If the bones are rich enough, or you add a chicken foot or two, you get a nice rich, gelatinous stock. Freezes great.   Mike
Chris- You are certainly devoted - not to say obsessive - and I hope your daughter and her friends have a hellish good time!  I too am looking forward to your complete photo coverage for this fun feast.     Mike 
Do you have family traditions?  Koukou' gives a good example. (Actually, she leaves out the green bean casserole made with Campbell's mushroom soup and topped with canned fried onions, and the Brazil nuts in the dressing... or maybe I'm getting my family tradition mixed up with hers.)    If you're just starting to build a tradition, get any of the participants' favorite dishes   Ideally, get them to prepare and bring them to show off; it worked for Tom Sawyer with his...
If there's a Trader Joe's anywhere near you, go there.  They have quite a few drinkable wines in the under-$10 range. For instance, I think their $5 German Champagne is quite good.  Dom Perignon it ain't, but DP ain't $5 a bottle, either.     I heard a story that some years ago, a blind tasting of California wines was held at the CA State Fair, and a Two Buck Chuck came in first in one category...to considerable embarrassment all around.  Anybody know if this is real, or...
If your contest is the International Chili Cook-Off in Terlingua TX you have already found out that beans are forbidden.  But, that's just Texas.   Competitive chili-chefs are hugely secretive, but I was amused to find, at Terlingua, a booklet for sale that purports to give the recipes of the last twenty or so winning entries.  Didn't believe it for  minute, but we bought one anyway.    Mike  
Brian's link to the octopus supplier is  a very pretty display of these delicacies. Worth a look even if you're not in the market for any        http://www.octopusgardeninc.com/home.html     When we moved to Bainbridge Island, across Puget Sound from Seattle, my new neighbors taught me to skin dive and I happily did this at every opportunity.  A year later Jacques Cousteau arrived with the Calypso on his way to Alaska.  He appeared on local television and explained...
Hey, mimi...   how's that for a happy ending?!!!   Mike 
My father fed cattle on his hobby farm (he grew up on a real one, and missed it) and I pulled off many ears of young feed corn and cooked them.  They were delicious . As the corn matures they get a lot tougher, but the cattle don't seem to mind. Enjoy   Mike
I apologize, mimi. Sometimes my adolescent sense of humor leads me astray.   Mike