or Connect

Posts by MikeLM

For decades, we've ordered our Christmas ham from Esicar's Smokehouse in Cape Girardeau MO, but a few years ago they retired and closed after only 73 years in business, We found Colonel Newsome's Hams in Princeton, KY and have been pretty well pleased, but some negative reviews have cropped up recently, and I though we might benefit from some others' experience.   We want a whole country ham-  salt-cured, smoked, and peppered and hung at least one year. We'll need to...
For a lot of background and expertise, take a look at the website of   Pea Soup Andersen's   They've been serving pea soup in Buellton CA for generations and know something about it. They also offer their recipe, which may or may not be complete    Mike
I was just gifted with a fresh 1-1/2-pound wedge of Wisconsin's Bleu Affinee cheese, a favorite of mine.  I like it as well as Maytag, but this is more than I can eat before it begins to deteriorate.   How best to divide, wrap and store it to lengthen the shelf life?  I asked about freezing it the last time I was in Caputo's Cheese Market and received a stern lecture leaving no doubt - that is not the way to do it!   So, OK...   I'm thinking cutting the wedge...
Mimi-   You're lucky!  While you are visiting Lancaster County PA you can spend quality time in the famous town of Intercourse  (what does its' name mean...  don't ask.). It's in the Amish country so you will find wonderful restaurants. Especially sample the sausages and other cured meats.       Actually, the name is explained here -   www.tripadvisor.com › … › Pennsylvania (PA) › Lancaster County   If one leg of the trip is via I-20, be certain to mark at least a...
When we lived near Seattle, we had a house on Puget Sound, and could go out and collect oysters literally in our front yard- the lot extended a couple hundred feet out under the water, and there were lots of rocks. We would pry off a dozen or so and set them on the  BBQ grill.  We crushed several garlic cloves into some heavy cream and sucked this up into a baster. As the oysters opened, I'd squirt a teaspoon or so into each one, and let them sit for another minute, then...
Puts me in mind of the Crocodile Dundee knife bit....   http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Paul+Hogan+Knife&id=200D86A7B3C2B2BCE3B636123882CAFFF0107070&FORM=IQFRBA#view=detail&id=200D86A7B3C2B2BCE3B636123882CAFFF0107070&selectedIndex=0
Jim's bacon/beans dish reminds me of an ancient family recipe (my mother learned it growing up in Missouri) where she par-cooked a batch of spaghetti, drained and spread it on a sheet pan, put that in the oven under a pork roast on a rack above, and roasted until everything was done.  Given the fatty pork of the day, the spaghetti was well-lubed with pork fat, and served with lots of pepper and some salt alongside the meat.   Known and loved by her family, my family, and...
Never any experience with Wagyu, but last Christmas we went crazy with a 10-pound USDA Prime grade, bone-in Prime Rib roast from the local society butcher.  We're still paying it off.  We left it unwrapped in the fridge overnight, gave it a not-too-strong rub of salt, pepper, and couple of spices and brought to room temperature.  Put it in our preheated MasterCraft electric smoker (which can set and hold a temp very well) at 225*, with just a very little mesquite smoke and...
I'm behind on my cooking agenda and haven't cooked the scallops yet; they are still frozen. I also haven't made up my mind on the exact procedure, so I'll describe whatever it finally is.   If it doesn't turn out well...    I'll lie.    Mike   Well, actually, I wouldn't do that. Somebody might duplicate the recipe.
I remember as a kid, visiting at my grandfather's house in the woods outside a town in northeast Missouri : he often told me that  if we were to encounter and "kill"  a rattlesnake, not at all uncommon around there, I was NEVER to touch or handle it in any way, as it could reflexively bite for a long time after its perceived death.     Guess that works for a lot of snakes.  Glad I never had to test it out.   Mike