or Connect

Posts by MikeLM

Well before we became foodies, my wife and I used to contemplate with horror the recipe on the back of the Ritz Cracker package for Mock Apple Pie.    You made a pie crust, then mooshed up some Ritz crackers with lemon juice and filled the "pie" with that, and then baked the thing just like it was really food. I still sometimes have a bad dream about it.   Mike
There was a post to the effect that replacement heater strips could be purchased and you could install them. You'll have to search for it.   Mike
I don't really understand the enthusiasm for some kind of a computer system. We did an $80K remodel of our condo about 12 years ago (spent half of it in the 8' x 13' kitchen)  and I put everything in a metal letter-size file box about 8" deep. The shipping papers,  invoices, manuals, repair part invoices if any, and any other relevant papers have gone into their own folder by item. I was very careful to make sure I had every piece of paper I might ever need, and the little...
"I use to be part of restoration teams on classic wooden boats in new england, florida and the caribbean..."   Joey -   You probably know the books of Michael Ruhlmann, a marvelous writer who has lately concentrated on food topics ("The Making of a Chef",  "The Reach of a Chef", "Charcuterie", and several others.)    If you haven't read some of his stuff, you should proceed immediately to the nearest library and pick up a couple.   He wrote the "Making..." by taking...
Speaking of going according to plan, or not...   I ordered a country ham for Christmas as I have for the last thirty-odd years. It was UPS'ed from a western Kentucky smokehouse around Dec. 11 and arrived... today.  Today is two days after Christmas.   Fortunately, we went to Plan B as described above a couple days before the big one. The upside is- the guests have all gone home, and now I have this 18-pound country ham all for myself.   It's gonna be a really tasty...
Well, it turned out not merely great but sensational!  Seasoned rub, lightly smoked for about 4 hours at 225*, rested 30 minutes, then blasted a few minutes in a 500* oven and served with a roasted bones and oxtail jus.  It was a wonderful meal, a perfect medium rare throughout; have some of leftovers.         Thank you all for your advice and suggestions.   Merry Christmas!   Mike
one of our veterinarian's favorite meals he had with us before his passing."   Teamfat...       you saying you used this recipe to kill him?   Not sure that's exactly what I'm looking for.   But, thanks anyway.   Mike
Got it from one of the area's premier butcher shops. Could have made a respectable down payment on a new car with the money.   I would really appreciate some knowledgeable suggestions on how to make the most of this thing between now and Christmas day. Not looking for complex, fancy-schmancy stuff. Just really good prep suggestions to make it simple and memorable.  Will probably smoke with apple.   Thanks all.   Mike
While there are hardly any bad ideas for using Dungeness crab, mixing it into something complicated and with other strong flavors may be one of them. Garlic, though, is always a good accompaniment:   Prepare a slurry of garlic and room-temp butter and let sit an hour or so. Boil or steam the live crabs just until they've calmed down; remove and let cool enough to handle. Take them apart and clean the bodies. With a mallet, break the shells pretty thoroughly, then rub the...
"What? No garlic Ice Cream?????   Good question.   It's my understanding that Garlic Ice Cream is a staple of the Garlic Festival in Gilroy, Calif., which bills itself as "The Garlic Capital of the World."   Sadly, I've never attended.   Mike