or Connect

Posts by MikeLM

Actually, the lady's recipe I linked to wants two days-   Beef broth/stock: 48 hours Chicken or poultry broth/stock: 24 hours Fish broth: 8 hours This doesn't sound unreasonable for a gently-simmered, flavorful stock.    Me, I go thirty minutes in the PC.   Mike
Not exactly- because if he is in Denver, elevation about 6,000 feet, simmering isn't cooking it nearly as fast as he thinks if he's using a sea-level recipe without adjustment.   Mike     Although if he is in Denver he's probably noticed that by now.
That's a list of all the restaurants along a given route- no recommendations.  It's helpful, but I'm still looking for some guidance.  My son will be heading back to Chicago  towards the end of the week.   Mike
tiemu-   I really can't understand this.  Stock-making isn't black magic, or even really hard.  Do you use plenty of bones?  Roast them? A few peppercorns? Yellow onions and their skins?  Couple chicken feet if you're really desperate?    Use the recipe I linked to and simmer for a day-and-a-half like she does or 30 minutes in the pressure cooker like I do.   Dammit-  do that and you can't avoid having a nice broth!    But - what you describe - "couple chicken pieces...
I'm like eastshores- never heard of the stuff.   I looked it up and found one source that supplies it... mixed with sugar!   I don't see why I should pay a fancy price for honey adulterated with sugar.  Adding to the amusement, one of their selling points it that it keeps very well.  That might be a big plus for anybody that doesn't know that honey is the one natural food that keeps... forever.    Archaeologists have found pots of honey in Egyptian tombs, and have...
Eastshores said-   "I feel like I need to step back from the grocery store, and step into the forest, walk along the beaches, or freshwater shorelines and force myself to use my environment as an ingredient. Florida obviously has wonderful seafood and freshwater game. I also want to try..."   You want to learn to nibble on your environment?   OK, learn from Euell...
mjb-     I for one would love to see you and your team in action.   Again, my deepest respect and our hopes for a really great Christmas for you and your family!   Mike     
Well, mjb...   Personally, I don't include garlic in my stocks because it may cut down a little on the versatility of the stored stock.  There might be a dish using the stock that doesn't want garlic (though as a heavy-duty garlic freak I can scarcely imagine this .)  So, I put in the garlic as needed later.   Mike LOTS and LOTS of garlic
Another treatise and recipe on stock from a slightly overheated nutrition enthusiast:   http://wellnessmama.com/5888/how-to-make-bone-broth/   This is virtually the recipe my Mother-in-Law used starting close to 100 years ago.  Pretty much what the Frugal Gourmet recommended, including roasting the bones. The  MIL may have simmered it for 40 hours originally, but by the time I knew her, it was 30 minutes at 15psi...    Works perfectly fine in the pressure...
Some years ago I used a website to get info and recommendations about restaurants as we traveled.  This was a couple of computers ago, and I can't remember what it was.   Could some of you direct me to an equivalent Site?  My son in driving from Chicago to Lubbock TX in the next couple of days and I'd like to give him some suggestions.   Thanks for your help.   Mike