or Connect

Posts by MikeLM

I wasn't clear enough- the Bodum CI wok is wok-shaped inside, with enough extra iron outside on the bottom to make it flat. It is certainly not as nimble as a regular steel wok, and your tossing will be limited. Especially on a glass-topped heat source.   Mike
"here's a link to the loch fyne shop,mike...   Had a wonderful time browsing the goodies on display, Jon, but couldn't locate the shipping-destination portion of the site, and I hate to think of the postage!   I'll look and inquire around Chicago for a while, maybe wet my whistle on local fare before I go all-out. I really have no experience with kippers, though lots with "Squaw candy" as hard-smoked salmon is known in the Pacific Northwest.   Thanks much!   Mike
I've been playing around with the Max Burton 1800-watt induction hotplate for several years, and get excellent results with the Bodum enameled, cast-iron flat-bottom wok. It lists around $65 at Williams-Sonoma, but I'm sure you can do better rummaging around the 'net. With the higher power of your cooktop units, I'd bet you can stir-fry the he!l out of anything you want!   Lot cheaper than ripping out your new induction cooktop. If you do tear it out, though, I'd be...
Nifty photo/food essay, Jon. It gave me a sudden longing to have this for breakfast.   Anybody have any idea where I could find such a kipper in the Chicago area, preferably the western suburbs?   Though I will accompany them with a nice, sour-mash breakfast beverage.   Mike   Where in Scotland, exactly, do they make Wild Turkey?
"...when it comes to actual baking exact measurements become much more critical."   Yeah, as the Froogle Gourmet said over and over -   "Cooking is an art, but baking is a science."   Mike
I would suggest that, in addition to the cloth, you use a small piece of wood - say, a 6" piece of 2 x 4 -  to cushion the pan from your sledgehammer.  It would be a good idea to do this on a concrete floor - garage or basement - and not your kitchen tile floor.   Good  luck   Mike
I hope 'Cookie is on the way to solving this...   Some general remarks about cutting boards-   When my son was starting his cabinet/furniture-making business, he found that making cutting boards was a way to generate some quick cash flow. He used enough material to justify buying a semi-tralier load of hard maple cut-offs from an installer of bowling alleys! Since they were scraps, the price was right, and they were quite usable for boards.   He also did some...
Hey, don't forget squirrel. I know they're not as dramatic as wild boar but, chicken-fried, they can be pretty good.   Mike 
'Cookie- That's a tough one. I can tell you several FDA-approved foodsafe glues, but filler??  Don't know of such a thing (not to say it doesn 't exist, but I've never heard of such a situation.)   Another problem occurs to me- if increased summer humidity somehow affecte the wood so it closes the gap, and you've filled that gap with something that won't compress, it seems this would set up stresses adjacent to the split as the wood tries to return to its former...
I read a day or so ago that the Russian authorities had advised the Olympians not to wear their team uniforms outside the stadiums, given the worries about terrorists.   Those American uniforms- I'd advise not wearing them on Michigan Avenue here in Chicago.    Mike