or Connect

Posts by MikeLM

I read a day or so ago that the Russian authorities had advised the Olympians not to wear their team uniforms outside the stadiums, given the worries about terrorists.   Those American uniforms- I'd advise not wearing them on Michigan Avenue here in Chicago.    Mike
'Cookie-   I apologize; obviously I didn't read your OP very carefully.  I can understand how a 450-lb block would be  little awkward in the dishwasher.  I wrote my post visualizing an ordinary kitchen board, not an industrial-size block.   That makes my advice "just throw it away" a little too flip, too.  If the manufacturer stiffs you on a replacement, we need to discuss how to fix it. There's some pretty good woodworking experience aviailable on this site as well as...
 'Cookie -   You need a humidifier to keep the humidity in your house at 35 percent or a little higher.  With that level, you will be comfortable at a somewhat lower temperature, and save a little on your heating bill.   Your cracked cutting board is not only defective, it's a health hazaqrd. (You didn't run it through the dishwasher, did you?)  Any crack is where the microbes and bacteria hang out.    A wood board should never crack if you take proper care of it. If...
Only was I like parsnips is to slice lengthwise in 1/8" planks (I use a  mandolin) and sautee them in olive oil until they show some nice brown, but still have crunch. A little garlic in the oil doesn't hurt.   Mike
Kind of understated, don't ya think?   Mike  
PodKeeJoe mentioned...   "The late Justin Wilson, an extraordinary Cajun chef..."   Been years since I thought of him. He was amusing, though the Cajun Cornpone grew a little thin.  Browsing through a book on Cajun Humour by a professor of English at LSU, the book with an entire chapter devoted to him, I discovered that...   'ol Justin was roundly despised by the entire Cajun community!    First, his repuation as a humourist was built almost entirely on telling...
I find several of the responses since my last post to be quite puzzling.  While the "follow your dream" idea is appealing, what several of us have tried to point out is that his situation as well as the assumptions that underlie his dream are quite unlikely to make it achievable. We're trying to help, not beat him into the ground.   Mike 
Ben- I'm impressed you came back after the grief I and others laid on you.  Follow what flipflopgirl  said and man up, especially about your kid.   You got some work to do.  I would love to hear how things go with you in a few months - or years, which it will probably take. Let us know- we would love to celebrate with you.   Best, and God bless   Mike
Ben, I'm going to be a little rough on you...   You're a high-school dropout, an unmarried, teen-age parent, and you imagine that your uninformed enthusiasm will allow you to enter a demanding field- on your own terms.   This is not going to get you anywhere.  You have no concept of how big a hole you have dug for yourself.   You will be lucky to get a job as a dishwasher, and if you do your employer will tell you how many hours you will work; if you don't want to do...
What kind of advice is this, Goodcook...   1.  Eat ribeye steaks wrapped in bacon      2.  Drink lots of beer      3.  Stay away from most vegetables.      4.  Take Ben and Jerrys with every meal.   You want to live forever?   Mike