or Connect

Posts by MikeLM

Dangit, Teamfat-   You got no business pumping us up like that and then leaving us hanging with no directions!  Please go immediately back to WI and tell us how to find this stuff. Mike
The Saturday Wall Street Journal has a small piece on three cooking school-type websites, which I am going to look at.   A free site at www.chefsteps.com is described as a "free online cooking school and community."  Sound familiar?   Harvard University's "Science & Cooking - From Haute Cuisine to Soft Matter Science" will have, starting October 8, a free series featuring, among others, Ferran Adria and Harold McGee- sounds like a good start to me. ...
Thanks for the tip, Pete. I'm on the hunt for it now!   I've had many good experiences with Amish food and cooking, in Pennsylvania where my wife grew up, and around Iowa City where a son went to college.  Not quite the same thing, but we have an RV built in north central Indiana by Amish craftsmen which is beautifully done inside and out and in the places where you can't easily see.   I have great respect for them.  Their dang buggies certainly get in the way on the...
"Wisconsin is producing a lot of seriously good cheeses"   Well, Pete, for me this is definitely one of them!   Mike
Joe -   I'm not a food pro, but I've hung around this forum for  a while, and I do have a suggestion...   Put a description of your topic in the title of your post.  That way we will have some idea of what it is that you want to discuss, and I can't help but think you will get more responses.   Anyway, welcome; stick around and enjoy a really good forum.   Mike
Didn't realize they spoke French in Wisconsin.   Anyway, it is a 6-month-plus aged blue made from buttermilk, and I think it's every bit as good as Maytag, at about 1/2 the price if you shop around on the 'net.   Discovered it a local farmers' market from a lady who sells a variety of Wisconsin cheeses. She gets $25/lb, but direct from a producer it's more like $14. They won't ship it ground if you're more than two days away, but I'm close enough, so the freight isn't...
I often eat in a place that greatly under-seasons its food - especially sauces, and would like to kick the garlic up a couple notches (to quote somebody or other.)  Is garlic powder or granulated garlic more effective for this purpose? Or is there some other formulation that would work?  I tried garlic juice some time ago, and just didn't like it.   Once we work this out, maybe we could find some anchovy powder.    Thanks,   Mike
The $500/head meal doesn't seem all that hard to find recently.  My daughter and her husband had one of those five or six years ago at The French Laundry. They and another couple had the degustacion with, since the other guy considered himself a wine expert, a complete range of appropriate wines. They spent four hours and the now-not-uncommon $500 apiece.   With the first of two kids now in college, she says she's not likely to do it again, but looks back on it a...
Interesting,, but I think I'd pass on this coffee.   I lived in Liberia, on the west coast of Africa many years ago, and had a Two-Spotted Palm Civet as a wonderful, affectionate pet. They grew some great coffee there, too.  Never thought to put the two together, though.   My folks brought a large crate of Liberian coffee beans back when my father's tour for the State Department was over. They enjoyed it for months, until they noticed that our cat had been using...
Ummmm...   Colleen-   I realize you live way out there in Flyover Country but, as I understand it (having lived there for 12 years,) New England starts at Connecticut and goes north from there.    Actually, I live farther into Flyover Country than you do, since I'm in a western suburb.   Mike