or Connect

Posts by MikeLM

"I would love to create just half the recipes in her book"   Julie-   You must be sure to see the movie  "Julie and Julia"-  it's about a lady who decided she would start at the first page of "The Art..."  and do one recipe for her family every day until she got to the end of the book. It's hilarious.   A recreation of Julia's TV kitchen is in the Smithsonian Institution.  When we were in Cambridge MA in the late fifties, we lived a block or so from her house.  We...
Well, we've been been through this before, but Ol' Justin was so much fun I'll do it again.   He was roundly despised by the Louisiana Cajun community because he built his reputation as a humorist by telling "Polish jokes" about the Cajuns, with them being the butt of the "stupid" anecdotes. On top of that, he was only HALF Cajun- one parent was, one wasn't.   His fractured English  on the programs kind of contradicted his learnin', too- he held graduate degrees in...
Mimi- you make a good point...   Those civic group cookbooks are usually really good.  They're compiled by ladies who want to show off their most prized old family recipes.   One of our most-used ones is Charleston Recipts compiled by the Women's Junior League of Charleston SC.  A wonderful compendium of Low Country delights.   If you see one at a garage sale... buy it!   Mike
Sad news... and rather early, too.   I suppose the pressure on the redfish population may be reduced.   RIP   Mike
"This stuff is Blue Crab does that mean anything?"   Where'd you grow up, Dagger...Nebraska?     It's a specific species of crab found along the East  Coast. I  grew up in Maryland and ate blues until I moved to Southern California and discovered the magnificent Dungeness.  (The spell checker must be based in Nebraska, too- it doesn't believe that word.)    The Blues are quite tasty but the meat is slow and difficult to pick. I've said you could sit down to a...
When we lived on the water on Bainbridge Island, Puget Sound, we dug clams literally in our front yard, and brought them in a bucket of seawater back to the house, added some cornmeal, and let them sit for three or four hours. That seemed to clean them out nicely.   The oysters we pried from the waters-edge rocks we set level on the BBQ and when they opened, used a turkey baster to squirt in some heavy cream with a lot of garlic in it.    Saturday mornings I would put...
The ultimate crab experience for me is live Dungeness - West Coast - crabs dropped in boiling water just long enough to calm them down, then cleaned and disassembled. Then the shells are thoroughly cracked and a slurry of softened butter and garlic -- lots of garlic -- is massaged through the broken shells till it surrounds the meat. The crab parts are then finished on a grill - mesquite smoke is a plus - and eaten with MORE garlic butter.  (OK, I'm a little warped that...
They are simply sensational, mimi.  Thanks for sharing.   Just curious- what's the school and where is it?  And... when do they find time to study?   Mike 
Good point, Toxicant- I amassed a nice, small collection of Griswolds over the years at yard sales and flea markets... before they became sought-after as antiques. I'm afraid that now you will have to pay prices for collectibles, not just old, used pans.   Mike  Hey- they're still worth it!
We found a  Masterbuilt electric smoker on sale three years ago just as our condo prohibited open-flame cookers.  We've been consistently delighted with it and what it produces.  Good controls and timing, easy to use, and overall a nifty toy for me and my son-- both foodies and serious home chefs. (Actually, my son is moving into the professional end to run a sandwich restaurant for his high school buddy who is chef/owner of one of Chicago's top restaurants.  They's been...