or Connect

Posts by MikeLM

My experience with Dungeness is quite the opposite of Eastshore's - maybe as the result of growing up on the east coast and wrestling with Blues. I came to think of opening a Dungeness as almost as easy as popping a beer can tab.    The meat is in big chunks and easy to pull out.   I sure miss 'em.  They're hard to find around Chicago and when they are available they usually cost about the same as lobster. When we visited our daughter in Walnut Creek, we went into...
I looked up the text of the United States Flag Code and it does precisely specify the hand-over-heart salute when raising/lowering/passing the flag and for the national anthem for all American citizens; military in uniform shall and veterans may use the military hand-to-head salute.  Non-citizens to stand at attention.  13 USC 1:9   Doing the anthem in another country, the US Flag Code doesn't apply, I guess.  Still I'm a little surprised the US team didn't observe it;...
Interesting technique. Probably wouldn't work with a turkey, though.   Mike   
Cheflayne-   How do you truffle a potato chip?  Couple drops of truffle oil? With a small brush?   Thanks   Mike
We've long been happy with making our stocks in a pressure cooker: beef, chicken, and turkey in season.  Doesn't fill the house quite as well with aromas, but it's a lot faster.  When I got into cooking, I changed our 4-quart for a 10-quart and we made and froze a lot!   Mike
A bit of garlic - not much, for a change - is nice in that butter.   Next time you bring those crabs home, drop them into boiling water just long enough to calm them down, take them apart, and crack the various shells thoroughly, enough to let you massage a  garlicy, softened butter inside to the meat, and put them on the grill, with maybe just a touch of mesquite (we developed this in Houston, where live Dungeness are readily available at the Asian grocery stores) and...
Last Christmas our traditional country ham was caught in the UPS foul-up: when we realized it probably wasn't going to make it on time my son went to a local premium butcher shop and got a USDA  prime 10-lb bone-in prime rib roast. On the morning of the big day,he gave it a rub, brought to room temp, put it in the smoker with just a little hickory, let it run until it hit 125* internal which took about 4-1-2 hours, then rested and put it into a screaming hot oven briefly,...
I grew up in Maryland (unfortunately not near Chesapeake Bay) so blues were the only crab I knew.Their Latin name doesn 't translate as Beautiful Swimmer for nothing - they're delicious, but it's quite a chore to get the meat out. When I was stationed in Norfolk, the beach was always close and we carried two or three crab traps in the trunk of the car. We'd pick up five or six chicken necks at a grocery store, find a pier,  tie the baits in, and toss 'em over the rail....
My son, an engineer with a multi-national, was on his first trip to Taiwan and at lunchtime the engineering staff announced they had a special treat; they proudly took him to..  a McDonald's.   He later said he hadn't been in a McD in about eight years and, with any luck, it would be another eight before he was in one again. As far as I know, he has succeeded in keeping that resolve.   He also says that, when the crew takes you to a local restaurant (Chinese,...
"...bacon that is battered and deep fried, topped with gravy. I'd like to try it at least once.   mjb."   That would be your Last Supper, right?   Mike