or Connect

Posts by MikeLM

"...there was feed corn for the livestock, seed corn for growing more corn, and sweet corn for the humans."   My father raised Angus cattle (as a hobby, really) and we grew a lot of feed corn - we called it "field corn" - and I remember this as being delicious, when picked young and steamed within a few minutes of picking.  This was long before the development of all the super-sweet varieties.   Easy recipe: butter, salt, butter, pepper, butter.   Mike
That's a very nice resolution, and a graceful apology, Carpenter.   I think both you guys came out looking pretty nice. Looking forward to your future contributions.   Cheers   Mike
Our favorite potato salad is a heavily-garlicked version served at Emilio's, a local tapas restaurant:   http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/eatingout/eating_e/emiliospata.htm   Let it ferment in the refrigerator for a couple of hours before mixing with potatoes, and then let them chill to help the flavors permeate the potatoes.As usual with me, if you decided to increase the garlic- that would be fine.   Mike
Tom... you said   I then placed a hand sledge inside and on top of the gears...This put a downward resistance on the assembly so when I hit the shaft with a hammer it pushed through the collar...   Obviously you are a professional engineer type.  If your first attempt at a fix doesn't work...   GET A BIGGER HAMMER        or, apparently, a couple of hammers/sledges.   Hope you're up and running by now.   Mike 
Interesting you should say that, Board'...   Funny, I would bet $100.00 if you received a board from me you wouldn't tell one person if you were satisfied but let me be later delivering than you deem to be normal, then you will vent to anyone and everyone who will listen.    My wife was in the restaurant business for 12 years: she didn't cook - she ran the office crew that supported a chain of 26 white-tablecloth stores in Chicago's western suburbs.  Her boss, the...
Tom-   That's BULLFROG, like the amphibian.  Not sure why they named it that, but they do make a big fuss about being green (as in environment-friendly) so I guess it's their play on that. Anyhow, it's great stuff, and a little goes quite a long way. I got my first couple of cans from a local RV-supply place, but then they stopped carrying it, so I found it online. My guess is that it just looked too expensive and didn't move off the shelf.  Once you find out how well it...
Having read Carpenter's accounts of the situation, and Boardsmith's response... I would have no hesitation in ordering a board from him.   Mike   Sorry, though, Board' - I make my own and have all I need right now.
Chris, thanks!   This is high on my to-do list.   Mike
Chris-   I'm struck by your polenta fries in #21. Is there more to them than thick polenta, set up, sliced, sauteed in butter or bacon grease?  I'd like to play with your gorgonzola cream sauce, too; any secrets there?   My only thought is the bacon fat might conflict if I go with the sauce.  I'm inclined to stay with butter to saute if I have the sauce.   Thanks for any advice   Mike
OWWW! - K-girl   just caught up to your accident.  You have my deepest sympathy and hopes for a speedy recovery.  Get well quick.   Mike   Same thing happened to me a couple years ago, but only minor lumps and bumps. Those dogs can really lunge!