or Connect

Posts by MikeLM

That clip was fun.  I hadn't thought of ol' Justin for years.  I enjoyed him a long time until the Cajun schtick just got too thick and kind of wore out.   We traveled often between Chicago and Houston, and always made sure to go by way of NO and the Cajun Country. (Which was more fun and a whole lot less expensive than NO.) As far as we could tell, it just wasn't possible to find a poor restaurant in the Cajun Country.   On one visit, we discovered how much the Cajun...
AllanMacPherson...   You called "every dish a tribute to Vincent Price"... did you mean you took the dishes from his truly outstanding cookbook A Treasury of Great Recipes ?  It has some wonderful recipes which he flattered and coaxed out of noted chefs in many different, exclusive restaurants all over the United states around the early 1960's.  He edited it with his wife, and it contains excellent and unique recipes. I've made several delightful dishes from this book.  ...
Another great foodie site, Serious Eats, offers a detailed recipe for baked buns based on store-bought pizza dough, garlic, minced pepperoni, garlic, herbs, garlic, butter, garlic, two cheeses, garl... well, you get the idea:..   http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/09/easy-pull-apart-pepperoni-garlic-bread-recipe.html   Looks so good I'm going to try it this weekend.  I'll get the pizza dough and pepperoni at TJ's.  I'll probably add more garlic, though.    I've...
Well, a surprise...   PBS Chicago is running a "The Mind of A Chef"  program on Kentucky cooking, partly devoted to country ham, starting with a quick tour of Colonel Newsome's where we got last year's ham. So far, haven't shown me anything I don't already know.    Hey- now they're showing sorghum molasses!  I grew up on it. If you can find it, try some; it's lighter that conventional molasses with a quite distinctive taste. Read the label carefully, though .... some...
Ha... that reminds me of a frequent ad inside the covers of comic books when I was a kid- the "X-ray glasses" which could - miraculously - see through clothing.   They were supposed to be ideal for girl-watching.      Never tried 'em, though.  Now, if I had heard about this camera, especially if it was from a respected Japanese manufacturer, well...   How much was it? Think I might have any luck on Ebay?   Mike 
laurenlulu-   " ...or dungeoness crab"   That's kind of a surprise, how did you find out about Dungeness crab (the world's finest seafood)  in North Carolina? They certainly don't grow around there!   Mike   
Mary-   Thank you for those pointers.  I'm going to try some of it uncooked, but am a little worried about the saltiness. We boiled the (uncooked) Missouri hams 3-4 hours, completely submerged, which considerably reduced the salt though they were still plenty salty, and I'm worried that without the long simmer we may find it too strong.  I'm hoping there will be directions/suggestions with the Benton's ham.  If not, I'm going to call them for advice.   I'll keep you...
OK, Mary and 'minute...   Your reputations are on the line!   I just ordered an aged, smoked whole ham from Benton's for our Christmas table centerpiece. It better be good !   In six weeks or so, we'll know.   Mike 
Koukou'-   You'r looking for Virginia ham, this might be a good place to start   http://www.smithfieldmarketplace.com/category/country-hams?utm_source=MSN&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=country%2Bham   Hope you have good luck./   Mike
We  will do the usual, including my ancestral stuffing recipe which features Brazil nuts. They add an amazing dimension to ordinary stuffing!  We always spent three or four hours cracking the dang things because they're so good in the stuffing.  Nowadays we buy them, shelled, from Trader Joe's.   I'll see of I can find the recipe. \ Mike