or Connect

Posts by Jamieloo

"an egg is an egg" -haha that was so funny but so true!!! Yeah, don't get me wrong - boy do I love to go into a fancy restaurant and have GREAT food like seared tuna with a sophisticated sauce and side. Two of the best meals I've ever had was a veal dish with a crabmeat mixture on top with a delicious cream sauce, and this lobster ravioli that I had back home. I'm just saying for me, personally, I LOVE southern food. I grew up eating very spicy, cajun foods and...
How obvious is it that Harold is going to win?
In reading all of the posts, all over the boards, I've come to realize I don't want to be a fancy shmancy chef in a fancy shmancy French restaurant. Kuddos to those who do, but it's just not in me. I grew up in the South and that's my heritage. I cook good, Southern, Cajun cuisine. As Jamie Foxx says as Ray..."I'm gone' make it do what it do." I thought I wanted to open up my own catering business, but I don't. I don't want to mess with little crackers and spreads...
Maybe I read the original post wrong, but as a mother of 3, none of my kids would look at "Pork this this this, marinated in this type of oil" or anything as sophisticated as a lot of the ideas. These are kids. Simple kids. What about just a roasted chicken leg with a bit of seasoning, a creamy, homemade mac and cheese with broccoli bites in it and a fruit cup? I'm telling you, my kids eat pretty healthy but they wouldn't want anything really sophisticated. If anyone...
From what I understand (and I'm near Dallas), if you operate out of your home -it is true, you must have a separate commerical kitchen -detached from your "home" kitchen. If you do not have that, I've heard of people renting a kitchen 2 or 3 days a week from local churches or restaurants. I'm just not sure of insurance issues. A lot has changed from the olden days where you could just open your home to people and serve food without 30 inspections. Good luck!
I guess it was rather rude of me not to introduce myself and say "howdy yall." haha;) My name is Jamie and I currently live near Dallas (the restaurant capital of the US I've been told) We moved here due to my husband's job promotion. Although I'm getting used to it, I miss my friends and family because I used to cook for them all the time! I find myself wanting to start a catering or personal chef business. Anyway, that's the previous message on this thread. I...
I guess as a food lover or lover of food, you are faced with 4 options: become a chef in a restaurant, open up your own restaurant, become a personal chef, or become a carterer. Can anyone sum up pros and cons of each of these options? I have loved cooking-and have cooked for friends and family for the past 12 years. I can't start catering out of my home because of the "commercial kitchen" stipulation. I want the flexibility of becoming a personal chef, but I'm...
Any advice on just starting out as a personal chef? What if you have 1 year of experience in a 4-star restaurant, but over 12 years of personal experience -with friends and family?
This message seems to be very old. Are people still looking for information about starting up a home based catering company?