or Connect

Posts by foodnfoto

While you're there make sure to check out some amazing farmers markets in the area. The town just north of Hyde Park (CIA location) is Rhinebeck. The market there is terrific. Also the FDR library in Hyde Park is really cool. South is Beacon, NY-lots of hip upstart foodie concepts opening and lots of art too. Just south of Beacon is Cold Spring. Great hiking, kayaking and other fun stuff to do.
In my view, your portrayal of your job interview experiences as "discrimination" says a lot more about your approach to the job and the interviewer than it does about your experience. As others have stated, placement in a job is influenced by a lot more than just your experience. Employers must be discriminating in their hiring choices, but that does not mean that applicants have been "discriminated against." That would involve being denied employment solely due to age,...
This story lends credence to the saying-In China, people eat anything with legs but the table and anything with wings but an airplane.  Where cobras fit into this story is beyond my ken.   Really though, isn't this just a bit much? Have people become so afraid of real theater that they must turn dining into a dramatic event? It denigrates both in my view, not to mention the wrongful exploitation of wild animals.    There's plenty of good food to eat without forcing the...
I grew up mostly in the US south-my Mom and Dad from New York City and small town Iowa. Growing up, we all drank unsweetened iced tea with lemon at just about every meal. Working in food service in NC and Florida for most of my adult life, I took it for granted that a nice glass of good, at least decent, iced tea could had at any restaurant.   Fast forward to my life in New York. Every time I eat out and order iced tea I get a wine glass of cloudy, acrid, stale "tea"...
By classic KLP, I mean the recipe that the conchs (generational dwellers of the FL keys) have been making since the only refrigeration was the ice box. That's the one I use and that every respectable pastry chef living and working in the Florida Keys uses. I make NO claim to having originated or perfected this recipe. It was perfection when I visited my Aunt Lotte in Marathon Key when I was 10 years old. (I had the wonderful adventure of taking a ride on the original...
Hi Panini No, I cannot take credit for developing the Key Lime Pie. I give that to those talented home cooks who managed to create a wonderful dessert with five ingredients and what was available locally. Those early Florida Keys residents were tough souls for sure-living with rain water from cisterns only, no air conditioning, little refrigeration and hurricanes! Having lived in Key West for three years without AC, I realized that summers are nice (no tourists), but...
Oh so glad to know you liked it Mezz!   You know, classics are classics for good reason. Why mess with a good thing?
 If you plan to speak with her about this issue (and you should, asap) you need to be more specific about what, exactly, the problem is. Does she constantly undermine your directions by doing things her own way? Does she adhere to standards that you set, or make up her own? Does she constantly offer advice on how things should be done? What, really, is the problem? You should sit down with her and talk it out. There's a formula that's always been helpful to me in...
You can still do the meringue Mezz, even after cooling the pie. Just make it as close to the time you plan to serve it as possible.  One trick I learned from Shirley Corriher with meringue topped pies is to sprinkle a fine layer of fine dry breadcrumbs on the top of the cooled custard before topping it. This keeps the meringue from slipping around even if it does weep some due to the humidity and the cooled custard.  If you worry about the humidity of the day, make the...
Call me a stickler, call me OCD, call me a traditionalist-   It's not Key Lime Pie if you don't use key lime juice.    Any why everyone has to put lime zest in it is beyond me. Yeaccchhh.