or Connect

Posts by foodnfoto

Check out the email I just received-       I removed it, but it was a tipped employee petition against Amy's Baking Company that came in my email today. Weird
Until the link in the OP, I had never watched "Kitchen Nightmares". Now I'm totally hooked on the commercial free versions on You Tube. It has that quality of a train wreck that's so horrifying you can't help but keep watching! Gordon Ramsay comes across like a caustic, foul mouthed jerk, but his criticisms were spot on, and it's clear he's really trying to help these failing restaurants.   One question to the other pros here: It seems that Ramsay focuses almost...
One of my jobs is to be the "on set" stylist for celebrity chefs as they cooking demonstrations for TV shows and the like. One time I was working with Lidia Bastianich when she demonstrated how to make risotto.   During the demo she reiterated how important it was to slowly ladle in hot broth  as you stir the rice. She explained that adding cool or cold broth causes the rice kernels to crack and break leaving you with creamy mush with small rice grains instead of...
I don't know whether this is what you're looking for, but I make this Walnut Pesto all the time and find it to be absolutely wonderful. Sometimes I add a bit more sherry vinegar and chicken broth to thin it out so it easily coats ravioli or veggies. I love it on a bowl full of sauteed hearty greens too.   I copied it from the Smitten Kitchen blog. Kudos to this blogger and whomever is the developer-     Walnut Pesto Crostini Adapted slightly from Jody...
This is sad, really. It's clear that this woman likes to cook and believed that an enjoyment of cooking equated to an ability to own and run a restaurant. It's obvious that this couple has no training, experience or expertise in basic restaurant operations, planning, marketing or customer service let alone the culinary craft. Burger with bacon, bleu cheese (probably cheap ole danish bleu), marinated mushrooms AND white truffle oil? Ramsay's right-there's no integration...
This happens for on of two reasons, or both.   Sugar and butter are a fat based mixture, when you add eggs, which are mostly water, and beat it, the watery eggs surround globules of fat. Adding flour, a starch, helps to pull it all back together. You'll notice that if you only add egg yolks, which are mostly fat, this does not happen as much.    The other possible reason could be that once the butter and sugar are creamy and soft, the mixture has warmed up...
Could you be pregnant?
How many of these people do you actually know? Are you a mind reader who can decipher every person's deepest intentions?   I've been in this business in one form or another for 35 years, working with people from latin America, Viet Nam, Korea, Japan, France, Switzerland, Guayana and many others and cannot apply this judgement to anyone I've met.  Believe me, there is very little favoritism shown toward Spanish-speakers in the greater scheme of things.    What YOU would do...
The people you keep going on about are in the most extreme minority from what I've experienced. There are ignorant people with an inability to learn in every culture, not just Spanish speakers. As a matter of fact, I have an English speaker working for me now who fits into that category. It's frustrating, sure, but you just need to learn to work around it. It's not worth continuing to make such blanket judgements about people. If you supervise them, help them find...
Jeez, get over it. Grow a thicker skin and face the reality of the industry we work in.     One does not learn English, or any other language, overnight-it's a gradual process of memorizing vocabulary and then grammar.  All the Spanish-speaking kitchen staff I've worked with have been open to fellow employees helping them learn the language and make a huge effort to increase their mastery.   Heck, it's not hard to learn some rudimentary kitchen Spanish anyway.