or Connect

Posts by foodnfoto

This happens for on of two reasons, or both.   Sugar and butter are a fat based mixture, when you add eggs, which are mostly water, and beat it, the watery eggs surround globules of fat. Adding flour, a starch, helps to pull it all back together. You'll notice that if you only add egg yolks, which are mostly fat, this does not happen as much.    The other possible reason could be that once the butter and sugar are creamy and soft, the mixture has warmed up...
Could you be pregnant?
How many of these people do you actually know? Are you a mind reader who can decipher every person's deepest intentions?   I've been in this business in one form or another for 35 years, working with people from latin America, Viet Nam, Korea, Japan, France, Switzerland, Guayana and many others and cannot apply this judgement to anyone I've met.  Believe me, there is very little favoritism shown toward Spanish-speakers in the greater scheme of things.    What YOU would do...
The people you keep going on about are in the most extreme minority from what I've experienced. There are ignorant people with an inability to learn in every culture, not just Spanish speakers. As a matter of fact, I have an English speaker working for me now who fits into that category. It's frustrating, sure, but you just need to learn to work around it. It's not worth continuing to make such blanket judgements about people. If you supervise them, help them find...
Jeez, get over it. Grow a thicker skin and face the reality of the industry we work in.     One does not learn English, or any other language, overnight-it's a gradual process of memorizing vocabulary and then grammar.  All the Spanish-speaking kitchen staff I've worked with have been open to fellow employees helping them learn the language and make a huge effort to increase their mastery.   Heck, it's not hard to learn some rudimentary kitchen Spanish anyway. 
Are you adding any chopped "seed" chocolate to the melted? This starts the formation of the "good" crystals that hold the temper.
For those of you with Plantar Fasciitis, I really sympathize with the pain you're living with. I had the same thing in both feet for years and it made me feel like a total cripple. After begging for the cortisone injections too frequently for my doctor's comfort, he suggested shockwave therapy. Of course, the insurance company would not cover anything that actually cures the problem, but I sprung for it anyway.  Eight years later-no heel pain, though my pocket is...
Happy news for both of you expecting Moms-Kendra and Lisa! May all go swimmingly for you both. Ditto on the support stockings for your legs. Reducing salt intake will help   Of course, everyone's experience is different, but I found out a few things weathering two pregnancies while working in a pro-kitchen.   #1 early in your pregnancy, you'll get  "the sleepies" during the afternoon. Power naps saved me. I just found a quiet place in the dining room or...
I do pretty much the same thing as FlipFlopGirl, only I mark where the cuts are to go and use a big, 2-handled cheese knife sprayed with pan release to cut the bars.
Why not look for a used commercial coffee grinder? Send a bunch of rice through it to help clean it out of coffee residue, then set it on the most coarse setting and grind up spices to your heart's content