or Connect

Posts by chefpeon

I'd say that if you REALLY want to teach croissant (and other laminated doughs), the best way to teach it, and have the students actually retain what they've been taught, would be to have them make them from the ground up. From scaling out the ingredients, to mixing the dough, preparing the roll-in....the whole deal. I know that for me personally, watching a demo is helpful, but unless I'm actually DOING it, I retain pretty much nothing. You have to have a feel for...
I think @chefwriter gave you great advice. I agree that 45-50 hours per week in restaurant work isn't too bad and kind of par for the course, but if you're spending that much time at work being dissatisfied and bored, that's a recipe for burnout. Absolutely, owning your own place doubles your time commitment and can be more stressful, but if you get to do what you want, it may be worth it to you, or maybe not. You gotta figure out what's important to YOU. Do you want to...
Well I see two advantages: they won't bend out of shape, and you can easily see what color is in your bag. They may shatter and break, like you said, but polycarbonate is pretty strong. There's nothing really motivating me to go out and buy a set though. My metal ones get mangled occasionally, but I've always been able to bend them back into shape. Also, sometimes I will mess with a metal tip to bend it MORE into the shape I want.....I do this with star tips all the...
I'm not super familiar with Rational ovens, but I know they are combi-ovens designed to do everything. I imagine they act as both a convection and conventional oven? If so, then I would set it to mimic a conventional oven, fan off of course. Putting an oven thermometer inside the oven to make sure it's baking at the temperature you set it is also a good idea as your oven may not be calibrated correctly. What you say is happening to your cakes is a definite sign that...
The fact that your cakes are doming probably have little or zero to do with the settings on your oven. Even when mixed correctly, a lot of cakes dome up when you bake them......it's not a big deal. Either you slice off the top when they are cool, or once they come out of the oven, flip them over onto a parchment lined sheet pan and that will flatten them out. Of course, a common cause of doming can possibly mean you are baking at too hot a temperature....in any kind of...
I agree @KayRah....I'm way more interested in getting a collection of decent spatulas than I am knives! And my knife skills are OK, if not a little on the sucky side. I really only use three knives: a good chef's knife, a long serrated knife and a paring knife. I've never needed anything else in the pastry shop. The hot side may kick my ass in the knife skill dept, but I laugh at them every time they pick up a pastry bag! ūüėú
Choosing the right knives are mostly personal preference, but yeah, don't buy cheap ones. Good brands are W√ľsthof, Global, Henckels/Zwilling, Masahiro, Bunmei, Kasumi, Tamahagane, and Kyocera (but I personally don't like ceramic knives, they're sharp, but you can't sharpen them yourself, and pounding on the side of the knife to crush a clove of garlic is a big no-no, cause you'll break it).¬† ¬† You've been in the kitchen long enough to know what feels good in your hand,...
@flipflopgirl Crisco is vegan: http://www.isitvegan.com/2013/05/13/is-crisco-butter-flavor-shortening-vegan/
You need to provide a little more information about the problem(s) you are having. What is your "vegan buttercream" recipe? Have you used it before successfully and now you are having problems, or have you actually never made it before? What kind of cake are you trying to apply the icing to? Is your cake cold/cool when you go to apply the icing? Are you working in a warm space that isn't ideal for icing a cake? What is the consistency of the buttercream when you think...