or Connect

Posts by chefpeon

Your brioche recipe sounds similar to mine. Since it's an overnight rise in the fridge, I use all cold ingredients to inhibit too much of rise before I'm ready to work the dough. You want to keep those yeasty beasties in slow mode til you really need them to kick in for the final proofing and baking. Bringing your milk and eggs to room temperature is just an unnecessary extra step and there is no benefit.
I agree about the Massa Ticino (by Carma in Switzerland, NOT to be confused with Albert Uster's Massa). Even though it is formulated for tropical climates, it is NOT foolproof in the fridge and has the same problems in refrigeration that any other fondant has. If your fondant problems are refrigeration related, Massa Ticino will not solve that, so be aware! Here is a link where you can buy some, just one of many: http://www.lepicerie.com/White-Rolling-Fondant-TROPIC.html
Also, Google is your friend. On a whim I did a search for "Desserts from the 1960's". Jackpot. Here are links from just a couple of sites I found. http://sweets.seriouseats.com/2013/04/retro-desserts-to-make-for-your-mad-men-premier-party.html and http://pzrservices.typepad.com/vintagerecipes/desserts/
Ha ha! I was going to say, who wants to eat that crap they made in the 60's? Ironically, I collect those old cookbooks from that time because I have a morbid fascination with the culinary dark ages.
Agreed! However, in my experience, I frequently had to supply my own equipment to do the proper job. Because employers aren't super willing to shell out money foryet another piece of equipment that will probably get abused. 
I'd definitely get that shade anyway, @JCakes.....whether you get a stronger compressor or not. Aesthetics, customer/employee comfort...energy savings......
I think a long double handled cheese knife is a great idea. But if your employer doesn't have one, and you don't want to spend the money for one, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use one of those "Ove Glove" things on the hand that is pressing down on the knife blade. They protect against the heat of the knife and provide some cushioning too, as they are fairly thick. (I have two...I use them mostly when I'm piping hot sugar out of a paper pastry cone). To be...
I'd say that if you REALLY want to teach croissant (and other laminated doughs), the best way to teach it, and have the students actually retain what they've been taught, would be to have them make them from the ground up. From scaling out the ingredients, to mixing the dough, preparing the roll-in....the whole deal. I know that for me personally, watching a demo is helpful, but unless I'm actually DOING it, I retain pretty much nothing. You have to have a feel for...
I think @chefwriter gave you great advice. I agree that 45-50 hours per week in restaurant work isn't too bad and kind of par for the course, but if you're spending that much time at work being dissatisfied and bored, that's a recipe for burnout. Absolutely, owning your own place doubles your time commitment and can be more stressful, but if you get to do what you want, it may be worth it to you, or maybe not. You gotta figure out what's important to YOU. Do you want to...
Well I see two advantages: they won't bend out of shape, and you can easily see what color is in your bag. They may shatter and break, like you said, but polycarbonate is pretty strong. There's nothing really motivating me to go out and buy a set though. My metal ones get mangled occasionally, but I've always been able to bend them back into shape. Also, sometimes I will mess with a metal tip to bend it MORE into the shape I want.....I do this with star tips all the...