or Connect

Posts by chefpeon

Also, never sell cakes out of your home unless you are covered by liability insurance, as well as setting yourself up with local and state cottage food laws (if they exist in your area). You never know what can come back to bite you in the a**. 
There's a ton of red velvet macaron recipes on the web.......here's a link to one with a complete how-to, if that's what you need.   http://www.styleft.com/make-red-velvet-french-macarons-cream-cheese-buttercream/24366
Not exactly sure what your question is.......do you want to know how to make a red velvet macaron, or are you looking for advice on how to make a more consistent looking red velvet macaron, or are you looking for suggestions of other flavors of macarons?
Honestly, there's nothing you did wrong. It's just what happens. That's what sugar does. Even "dry" days have some humidity in them, and the sugar soaks it up and starts to dissolve. All you can do is make the croquembouche as close to serving time as possible, and in a lot of cases it's just not realistic. Some climates are better suited for croquembouche, like the Mojave Desert.    There is one thing I thought of to try the next time I make one, and that is to create a...
I've always frozen my Napoleons for a couple hours to get the clean cut, since I really had no other way to do it. I baked off the puff (fairly dark), then assembled them, froze for a couple hours, and cut. The crispiness and flakiness of the puff did not seem compromised by freezing for that short a time and I never had a problem. As Fable says, the longer they sit, that's where the problems start. I only made about 6 at a time at most.
I've worked for European chefs who wanted me to bake most things until it was just one shade from burnt and then some chefs have wanted the bake to be very light. I think both of those standards are kind of off-putting to the masses, so whenever I've had the latitude to decide for myself, I've always baked my items to a very pleasing medium golden brown......as Goldilocks would say, "juuuuuuust right"!   What kills me though is the really light bake I see on most...
What foodpump said. And also, buy used whenever possible. 
@BrianShaw OMG, that's hilarious! Thanks for the laugh!!! Now that I think about it.......Rice Krispy Treats are probably just kbuff's speed.   And I wholeheartedly agree with JCakes........I've been in contact with @Nicko about pro forum rules and the fact that non pros are constantly posting here despite what it says at the top of the page. I've been flagging posts as necessary, but it doesn't always work for some reason. 
Exactly what kuan said. There is no magic answer. You need to open some books, read them, practice skills and gain some knowledge. These days it's far easier to learn pastry skills than even just 10 years ago. There are YouTube tutorials and videos, food blogs and any number of websites dedicated to the art of pastry. I wish all that stuff was around in my early days. Even though I had 2 years of culinary school under my belt, I still read everything I could and practiced...
Honestly, I've done the "edible business card" thing when I was trying to score accounts for the various shops I've worked for and also for my own business. Really, with the time and effort that goes into it, it really isn't worth any kind of payoff you may get.  For one thing, since that morsel is more or less a "first impression" type deal, it has to be perfect and very fresh, otherwise, why bother? Then there's the issue of whether the people you are giving this thing...