or Connect

Posts by chefpeon

Well, obviously the maximum temperature in which you're working, 26C (78F) isn't suitable for laminated doughs. You've determined that.  The real question is, is it POSSIBLE to bring the temperature in kitchen down by turning up the air conditioning? And would your employers even be willing to consider that? It's costly. I'm guessing that cranking up the air conditioning isn't a reasonable solution here.    It may be possible to do laminated doughs in your present...
Have you tried posting in the Pastry and Baking forum? Many of your questions are very basic and are best answered there. I would also suggest searching that forum, because most likely, the question you are asking has already been answered.  Here's the link: http://www.cheftalk.com/f/20/pastries-baking
@Fablesable, I know you said you were "done" but couldn't resist posting this. One of my friends clued me in to Michael Laiskonis' blog and I thought it quite interesting: http://mlaiskonis.com/2014/05/30/crunchy-choux/   I don't think Laiskonis, of all people, would think to make what he considered a sub-standard choux. He's obviously perfectly OK with freezing it. 
@Fablesable........um, what? The fact that I've been baking off frozen choux without any problems isn't good enough? I also have friends and co-workers, past and present, who do this as well. I don't know what else to say, really. This is kind of getting ridiculous now. 
^^^^Well, wow, those things are pretty cool. Not only great for display but for mise en place too. 
I did that. There were two specific things that I felt needed clarification. The subject of the yeast, and the fact that you can indeed, bake off frozen choux dough with no loss in quality. It's not just an opinion....it's just......true. I can go further with yeast doughs and why I think it's better to put unproved and formed dough in the freezer, rather than to proof first and freeze, but that's not really keeping with the original topic the OP posted. 
@Fablesable, you're overreacting. You have made statements that are inaccurate and untrue, and I feel that as a professional, also with a lot of real-world experience, I need to clarify.  I don't like to see my fellow PC's get advice that may make life harder for them, because it's hard as it is. I hold no grudges, and you're free to state your opinions. But you're not giving your advice as an "opinion", you are alluding to it as fact, and I need to speak up. Sorry, but...
I've read your post a couple times and I'm not entirely sure what you're saying but here's my suggestion. Make up your icings and color/flavor them as you normally would. Display them in large sized, clear, disposable piping bags with a star shaped decorating tip. Customer chooses their cupcake, then the icing they want, and all you do is pipe it right on. No muss, no fuss, no bulky drawer. Seems like a reasonable solution here, unless I'm missing something or...
@Fablesable, I pipe out and freeze choux dough all the time. It bakes off beautifully right from the freezer! I'm sure that zeppole dough would behave the same, as they're so similar.Also I'd like to reiterate what @Chefross said. I too have formed many yeast doughs from breads to donuts to cinnamon rolls to croissant and Danish in a high production facility no less. Once the dough is formed, it's gone right into the freezer, pre-proof. It's pulled from the freezer as...
Yes. You may not even need to defrost them. You could experiment with that.