or Connect

Posts by chefpeon

Maybe this link will help you decide? It's a mixer capacity chart.   http://www.webstaurantstore.com/documents/pdf/hobart_legacy_chart.pdf   Also, think about growth and the future of the business. Do you plan on expanding? Is there a possibility that the amount of brioche rolls and bread loaves you make per day will increase? Is there a possibility that you may be making other things that a mixer can come in handy for? My best advice is to buy a mixer that will suit...
More info is needed, as you left out a lot of specifics, but I'm with Kuan on this one. If you stick-blended a finished mousse, you turned it into soup, basically. It may still set, but it won't have a mousse texture. At best, most likely a loose gel. 
Yeah.....sheet cakes......I have a love/hate relationship with them, but it's mostly hate. I love them because they're easy to ice up and there's plenty of area for decoration/inscriptions. I hate them because they take up too much space, are cumbersome, and have this kind of "I-just-bought-a-cake-at-Costco" kind of feel to them. They just scream "cheap". Because, well, for most, they are the quickest and cheapest cakes to make.    A lot of the time, brides on a tight...
Glad I was able to help! Regarding delivery/travel fees, you should have at least a two tier pricing system. A rate for local (like within a 25 mile radius) and then one for out-of-town if you choose to do that. What I do is charge a flat rate for local ($25 for delivery only and $35 for delivery and setup). For out-of-town, I charge the flat rate that applies plus per mile over and above the 25 mile mark. Sometimes if I deem the delivery "risky", I'll add a little more....
I've been a pastry chef/baker/cake designer for over 20 years, and I have a lot of experience in the wedding industry.  The best thing you can do for your clients and yourself is to keep things as simple as possible.  Wedding planners are great, you work with them and they handle everything. You don't have to worry about whether there's a table for the cake, or where the table is going to be (out of the sunlight), whether the caterers can slice and serve....etc. All you...
I stand corrected. Paramount Crystals are the "cheap" version of what I use professionally (Mycryo), which is cocoa butter. 
Paramount crystals are essentially pieces of fat (cocoa butter) that you add to chocolate to thin it out for easier dipping and pouring. Adding more fat to modeling chocolate because the oil separated out won't help matters. You may be able to save your batch by just letting it sit overnight, pouring some of the excess oil off and kneading it. Remember not to overheat or overstir when you are making modeling chocolate.
Or use a portable electric burner instead of induction?
Excellent point, Luc_H!
I think flipflopgirl is on the right track as far as how much actual liquid you have in your recipe. That stood out to me too. Whether it's from weeping egg whites or just a ratio of too much liquid to gelatin or improper preparation of the gelatin.....I think that's where your problem lies.