or Connect

Posts by chefpeon

Thanks for tagging me Nicko! Making pie dough in advance is all I ever do because keeping the dough cold and not over handling it is really the most important thing. When you make the dough ahead of time and chill it, you can't really use it straight out of the fridge because it's rock hard at that point. If you attempt to roll it out it WILL seem crumbly and dry. Pull the dough out and leave it out for about 15 minutes. THEN roll it. It could be that's all that the OP...
You may not consider yourself a "professional chef" but if you're a line cook, you cook for money, so that makes you a pro for all intents and purposes. You might want to check out this thread, because the circumstances and advice offered apply to food trucks as well:  http://www.cheftalk.com/t/90796/one-man-pastry-shop​
Everyone has had great input on this. Rock solid advice if I've ever seen it. In my 20 years plus pastry career, I have never worked at a successful pastry shop that did not have most of its product go out as wholesale through the back door. Front end stuff has always been a small percentage of income and more like PR for your storefront.
Sure, it can be done. But you won't last long. 
@panini Your formula is in weight (yay!), so scaling down will be a cinch! I haven't forgotten that much........yet.
Hey, I'll try anything once. For that matter, I've never added eggs to scones either, so it'll be a two for one.
I have found that silpats are poor heat conductors. With the exception of tuiles, I never bake on them. I mostly use them for sugar work. If you are having trouble baking macarons on a silpat......then don't use a silpat.
Maybe it's just me, but I would never use bread flour in a scone. Ever.
In addition to what @JCakes said, we did a lot of wholesale to grocery chains and independent stores. We actually did buy back unsold product, but our deal was that WE were the ones who stocked the shelves and determined the inventory. Because we were on top of it daily, we could more closely control the bread sales by figuring out what was moving and what wasn't and reducing our shrinkage. It's important to note that we ONLY agreed to a buy back program if WE were the...
I'm assuming you've already got the oven space and a large capacity mixer to accommodate your scaled up batches.......right? ;) And you've already costed out your ingredients and your overhead so you won't lose money on this venture. Of course you have. And you're properly permitted and licensed.    Big tip here: Before you scale up, it is always best to scale by weight. You will save yourself a lot of headaches and errors if you scale by weight. Scaling by volume is too...