or Connect

Posts by piracer

Erm, i think your thinking of Les Amis in another country or something. Les Amis has been in the same location since 1995 when it opened, we're 78th on the 100 best in the world. or something like that.   But getting back on point, thats a good tacticc. But why would the Maitre d be complaining about having a piece of sponge under your ice cream?
Oh sheesh, today Chef decided to experiment with some Whelks and is quite possibly the hardest amuse or dish anyone has had to carry. It was a feat just getting it out and there were so many times where the shells (which were balanced on a mound of sea salt on a very small black tile-plate) would just fall off, spilling the suace inside the shells and having to make us run back into the kitchen and replate. Yea, it looks great, but i still think consideration should be...
Ok, I used to work in the kitchen and my previous chef whom was a very considerate person always told me to also think of the front of house when plating, i.e a little crushed almonds below your quenelle of ice-cream so it doesnt run around. Im not working front of house as in this restaurant mainly because its got one of the best wine lists in Asia and I want to learn more about wine (besides also knowing what its like front of house). The current chef I feel is...
Coming off from the Organic topic, I was rather worried and shocked to learn of the woes that is Canola (rapeseed) oil. I always thought that amongst the most widely used oils, being Peanut, Sunflower, Soybean, Corn, Coconut, Palm and Canola oil, it was one of the better ones in terms of health and cooking ability (smoke point, neutral flavour (well maybe not the peanut) etc).   Since that isn't the case anymore, which is your oil of choice for 'heavy' (meaning deep...
If your particualarly interested in the 09 Bordeaux, i suggest you get a copy of Decanter magazine on the issue. In summary, their saying that it had perfect growing conditions although the winemakers got a little edgy and perhaps, over excited in their picking and thus made human errors into what could have been amazing wines. People are a little wary because during the 2005 vintage, they heralded as nearly a once in a life time thing so the fact that its in the same...
Hmm, I seem to have organization problems big time also. I used to be on the cold side, apps and deserts really (it was a really small place with the 3 of us, Chef, sous and I). I never could figure out how to properly arrange things so that my work space wasnt cluttered up. Like for example, a salad dish would have all its components in one tray (or ill try to squeeze it into that one tray), but assuming there are 4 orders for that one salad, its 4 plates, everythings...
it was so ridiculous once, i ordered a sirloin at this club once and it was NOT a busy day at all. It came about medium well when i asked for it medium rare. I sent it back and it came out well done. I just gave up and ate the garnishes instead, Urgh.
thanks guys, atleast i know im doing the right thing... sort of.
Right, so i'm working at this small Italian joint (30 or so pax max) and when i joined them a month ago (on a part-time position) there were 4 guys in the kitchen. This was i guess a sweeet numbering spot, work load was easy, things were being banged out well plated and atmosphere was more or less lively.Last week, one of our guys left as he was a culinary student which finished his attatchment with us. Two nights ago, 30 mins before dinner service, our other chef quit....
ok, let me be a little more specific i guess. I asked my chef and kinda hinted at perhaps a bread and butter pudding. He didnt take the hint but he did say there's this Italian soup made with bread, but he felt it's too rustic for our 'fine' dining restaurant. So no bread and butter pudding (cause it aint italian, we're an Italian restaurant) and no to that bread soup cause its too homey. Any other ideas? Its a pretty lame excuse that he gave me i think, i mean, im sure...