or Connect

Posts by oldschool1982

Carbonara   Rosa (marinara, white wine, fresh basil, cream,)   Diavolo (I like two versions....one basically the arrabiatta already mentioned and the other uses hot, seeded cherry peppers fried in olive oil with a marinara)   Marsala cream (crisped prosciutto ham, Marsala wine reduction (50%), heavy cream, fresh rosemary and Reggiano)   Cilantro-pecan pesto. Make the same as you would any other pesto only sub cilantro for basil and pecans for...
South America? That's quite a good choice. But don't be too surprised if you see many things that cross with other cultures from Europe. I've heard on several occasions of talk that some of my Calabrese relatives settled in South America. Take Argentina for example; from what I understand, during the height of the migratory waves leaving Europe, approx 6.7 million immigrants entered here, second only to the United States with close to 27 million. There are some great...
 KK, Thanks! The DD chose a line from Pottery Barn called "Great White". It doesn't have "oven safe" printed on the bottom but the oven was not in full heat mode. The oven is the GE Profile Dbl Convection and always use the broiler or convection roast setting. The plate is also positioned on one of the lower rack positions. We've had the plates for 8 years now with no "accidents" and I figure the sanitize setting of our dishwasher heats the plate to a higher temp so there...
JP, Thanks for the kind words! I mention the trick I learned about the Boiled dinner. It's to keep some of the cooking liquid from each use. I store it in the freezer and that way you don't start with plain water! The meat doesn't become over bland and the veggies pick up the flavor much easier.   I have to say I did enjoy the "Boiled beef and carrots". Reminded me of the my favorite selection involving food put to song....just think of Vikings and spam!
If I remember this correctly, I would have believed this to be from fore or hind leg femur just above the knee joint to about 5-6 inches up. This would give two cuts before getting into the shoulder or rump. I say this because, the cuts I am most familiar with are typically 3 to 4 inches in diameter and have four distinct muscles surrounding the bone.   Now, at the grocery store I have seen smaller in recent years but thought that to be more maximizing the profit by...
 Thanks. That means a bunch coming from someone on the other side of the pond! I've come to respect and consider the boiled dinner, whether it be English, Irish, Italian or any other to be one of the simpler, almost lost pleasures in life. Ya just can't beat the idea if it's done like your grandmother did it and shouldn't be one you monkey with. Quaker instant grits!! Ummmerrrruhhhhhh.........I'm a "Damn Yankee" (that's a Northerner who moved South and stayed) and I know...
TJ's....haven't checked there yet but I will. Unfortunately it's a 40 mile hike and have only been there once. Thanks a bunch!
Michael, The pizza you made looked great! But, if I may as someone who grew up there,.......if you can get cake brewers yeast (Anheuser-Busch was what I know was used at the 3 places I worked), you'll be much happier with the dough. It allows for better flavor and helps the crust to become more cracker-like. I've also used the beer several times but never with the same success. Trouble is it's getting more and more difficult to get cake yeast. It doesn't have the same...
As someone who spent the first 22 years of his life in the western 'burbs and the last 30 out of Chicago.......I've come across more that also had no idea. It's one of Chicago's best kept secrets and not many people have because the thick took center stage with the "Pizza wars" on the food network. If you ever get the chance to have some that's authentic, I mean a real, thin, cracker-style crust........it's worth it. Giordanno's (any location) had a good one, Beggars Inn...
 Thanks FF! There was a good amount of heat from the Hatch red Chilies. We bought a large string of them several years ago on a trip to Tucson and they have served me well. You can change the temp to your liking and also add more cheese. I would suggest that if you don't need to worry about things associated. Infact, shredded beef chuck roast or brisket would be a great sub for the chicken. Your salad was great looking as well. For me, it had a real light and fresh...