or Connect

Posts by oldschool1982

No fair! My book only goes to recipe #2984!  I've been gypped! 
This is the October 1963, 24th printing copy.     Looking through the entire section of poultry, couldn't find a chicken dish by that name. There were also several that required split or multiple prep procedures for completion.    An apology to the OP for the change in author but I ran across these while trying to locate where the heck my copy of Escoffier went and definitely a Shnikee worthy cookbook find as far as age.......including newspaper/magazine clippings...
Just getting ready to have a second bowl of one of my favorite soups.....Chicory with ham!   There's a name for it in Italian but I can't figure out how to even begin spelling it but it's a slow simmered ham bone stock with carrots, garlic, celery, onion, tomatoes, chicory, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with a little grated Romano, a slice of my Grandmothers recipe bread and it's like I'm a kid again sitting in her kitchen enjoying it!
 If you refrigerate the potato over night or for a couple days (this happens in pro kitchens all the time because of what remains at the end of the night), it will shred just fine and we're talking 1/4 or larger diameter hole for the shred (see below) I've used them (baked potatoes that is) in an emergency pinch when I've needed potato baskets on the fly. Not happy about it but what do you do when you need one or two to finish plating a big banquet. Anyhow, it will hold...
Try scrubbing the potato with a "green" scotch-brand (3M) style scrub pad. Potatoes are grown "in the ground" so, there may be any number of things that could be lingering on the outer jacket. It may also be the age of the potato. I've experienced that green potatoes can be a little bitter so try letting them hang around the pantry for a few weeks. Even if they're in there too long, a little wrinkly won't be a problem for hash-browns. Also, how well are you rinsing the...
We had a very nice Bottom round for New Years day dinner. About 5lbs reduced for quick sale in the meat dept so a $22 cut turned into a $11 cut.    Light rub of veg oil then coarse sea salt and black pepper only on all sides, into a smoking skillet for 2 minutes per side and then a 450deg convection roast oven for 15 minutes. Reduced heat to 225 and used the same time formula I've used for Prime rib for the last 35 years. I've mentioned it before but for the sake of the...
Not really. It may darken to a more brown shade of red. I once had a gallon bottle for the house and it too me something like 12 years to use it up. It had a great flavor and I even spiked some of it with dried Chipotles. That really kicked it up some!. Today, that gallon would last about a year. Tabasco get put on just about everything especially that smartfood light white cheddar popcorn...Mmm, good stuff! Never kept it in the fridge either. 
Same here too but I have an "end around" move to save some bucks. I chose the uncleaned, chain-on, tail third of the whole loin. By cleaning and removing the chain myself, I saved 3 bucks a pound and was able to get a couple decent pieces for the Wellington. Plus, I have all the chain and tail trim to make tenderloin tips and mushrooms for a meal later. In reality, with the DD eating the final piece for dinner last night, we'll get 2.33 dinners (whole meals for 3) out of a...
Thanks @Koukouvagia  I wanted to do something to decorate the pastry, flute the top or add some raised design but time got away from me and the wolves were barking at the door. Mainly it was the DD with her unbelievable appetite. She skipped lunch in anticipation of the meal. Anyhow..... That's a respectable spread of your own. That ham looks mouthwatering to say the least along with everything else. About the cheese cake,  I've never seen lady fingers used. Were they...
This problem has plagued my cocktail for years starting in about the early 90's. Before that, it wasn't an issue. From what I remember, it has something to do with the pectin levels of the Heinz products. You remember the old Heinz commercials with the Carly Simon Song, "Anticipation"? Well, pectin is one of the things that made it so thick. Tomatoes are naturally high in pectin but for whatever reason, their's is higher.  It also appeared as if they changed the recipe...