or Connect

Posts by oldschool1982

I'm a little vague on NY state since it's been 13 years since I worked there but.....there and with most states for that fact, if you are paid hourly you are considered non-exempt so if you work your 40 hours and stray so much as 5 minutes past, you are entitled to 1.5 time your normal rate for that 5 minutes and everything above. If you are salary and work past your 40 hours, for the record I don't believe I have EVER seen a salaried person be scheduled less than 50, you...
@amyville   The snap you are speaking of comes from natural casing hotdogs. Most hotdog companies here in the states no longer use them. It's given way to a synthetic casing and it's removed before packaging because it's inedible.    You didn't mention if you were making them or they were store bought. If you are making them, you can visit The Sausage Maker Inc http://www.sausagemaker.com/ and they have a full selection of natural (and synthetic) casings. I don't know...
I understand this thread is a couple years old but we just replaced our 120 Advantium 27" wall oven and thought I would share our experiences.   We purchased our original unit about the same time this thread had started but if I remember correctly, I don't believe it went into service until May.   We use our Advantium almost every day. Not really in microwave or speed cook but as a warming, proofing and convection oven. It especially comes in handy during the Holidays...
@AlexB I have to apologize for not getting back sooner. I started a response and then my world blew up so I'm just getting back to the web now.   By grape tomatoes I was referring to the smaller similar to  cherry tomatoes but not as round....they're more oblong like a grape. These are not really intended to make large amount of anything, especially sauce, due to their size, cost and flesh to moisture content or at least that's what I have always understood. In reality,...
@panini, not to get side tracked but what Province if your family from? It's cool how some of the same foods with slight changes appear across the country. Not that I'd never think of it but no one ever did.......I kinda like the idea of eggplant and squash going in it. I'll have to give it a shot next time! I mean, I do like Ratatouille. My grandmother (fathers side) made this stuff called moulinjon. Again with the spelling. It was stewed eggplant, peppers, onions and...
Well good for you! I have cook books too and just because it's in there doesn't mean it's the best thing or it's it chiseled in stone. If it works for you then don't mess with it.  But I personally wouldn't appreciate a molasses flavor in my marinara or any tomato based sauce including BBQ so I still stick by my statement.
@panini , great point!!!! If you're gonna start adding sugar, you might as well throw it down the drain and just buy some of the crappy jar sauces off the shelf.   Strictly talking about flavor.........   As far as why some feel the need to add sugar, the trouble starts with the choice of some canned tomatoes. They buy the cheap ones and those are loaded with unripe acidic tomatoes and water. I'm not suggesting buying the most expensive tomatoes available, I would just...
Yes, not all types of tomatoes will work but the only one's I've ever run across when making sauce were cherry and grape. But it's not like you're using only those as the base. IMPO, at least you shouldn't be. However, I have thrown those in the mix when their loosing their quality.   I really haven't found any tomato that doesn't work yet for the most part, it's Beefsteak, Campari, Heirloom, when making sauce. As far as heirloom tomatoes are concerned, I wouldn't use...
invest in a small Venus fly trap or 3 for the house. They work great. We've had ours for 5 years now I believe.  We're waiting for our to regenerate since the watering wick system we use became clogged with algae and it went dormant when the soil dried out. Just starting to get a couple new signs of growth so just in time too. I had an onion I bought that must've had a couple some how get in the bag on me and we've had a few extra show up in the last few days.
Call me old fashioned but duck is at it best when served Med Rare. I guess the table side duck press is out of the question too?