or Connect

Posts by oldschool1982

Since I had a quick and rare moment of freedom and culinary exercise while at home today, I figured I'd follow @kuan 's advice and pop in and say hello. Certainly been a summer for the record books in the way of life with a teenage child. Sheesh!   Just finished starting dinner for the evening.....Veal Marengo (the more French version). It was originally intended for Sunday supper but one thing led to another and I forgot a couple ingredients. Anyhow, found some nice...
 Dude? Duuuuuude! This is the one!  http://thegood-one.com/ No pun intended.  I've been dreaming about this particular brand for 12 years now. Maybe some day but not even remotely possible in the next 6 years. My old Sam's Club Stainless steel one is holding on and a good thing too. Hope everyone is well unfortunately no time to chat. gotta try and get some sleep before tomorrow. Regards.
@panini Well old friend, this post is made very reluctantly given the state of things. Also partly why I've been so absent around here. It's been a very long 3 months to say the least. We did finally get the truck back to the house on Feb 4th.....by wrecker!      The picture above doesn't properly convey the right tone when discussing the truck. By the looks here, everything went well....right?   Not the case! I have a list of 137 items and 40 other photographs of...
Good afternoon all!   Hope this doesn't anger the moderators but if it's not correct, please move to the appropriate forum and let me know. Thanks.    I've been involved with Cheftalk since 2006 and this is the first opportunity of this kind I've ever presented.  My hope was to involve some fellow Cheftalkers in a very special event.  Being one of the coordinators and definitely not wishing to be the person executing the food, I thought it would be a great idea to see...
It's all good! It'll be interesting to see what they have to say.   There is such a disparity between venues here it's ridiculous. Everything is limited in size and many of the old venues that would work have been closed, vacated or torn down. This whole area seems about 20 years behind the times or maybe I was just spoiled with some of the areas we've lived. Plus we hear of so many people crying they can't fill their halls or make any money because business is slow. The...
To be even more fair, we didn't ask for the Grand Ballroom. Our criteria was explained and the hope was for the Rotunda Mezzanine or Empire rooms.    Your are correct in your statement since there are always two sides to the coin maybe you didn't realize that I've stood on both sides of this seeing a plethora of both the good and bad that makes up the catering/banquet side of this industry. Please understand I'm not some "wet behind the ear kid" replying in anger with an...
Thanks Kuan! Had a feeling that would be the end result once I saw the email but had to get some confirmation (and blow off some steam too)...like I said, it's been a while and all. Funny thing is a couple years ago I contacted them and they were much more accommodating than now   Located a couple other places and while the rental is still a bit steep, it's the ambiance we'd be willing to pay for. Something about an old train station.   'm leaning toward a couple...
For a cocktail party!   Edit;   And that's if we had 400 ppl. I was thinking we would've been lucky to get 300 but not at that price.   I just received a reply from asking about the "minimum" and was told that this;    "When you book an event at our hotel in the Grand Ballroom we require that you spend at least a minimum of $18,000 (before tax/service) in food. A lot of hotels have room rentals and food and beverage minimums when hosting events."   Edit 2;The...
In the city we live in, we have one of the highest meals taxes at 10% for dine in and I believe in Richmond, where the event would be held, it's 6%. 
Nicko! Way to go dude!! Kudos to you for this!!! Wish I could have done more than the two but one thing I've learned over the years about fundraising is....every little bit helps and is one step closer to a goal.