or Connect

Posts by oldschool1982

@rat  That really is a sweet ride! The old rims didn't look so bad.....do you still have them? I might know someone that would take them off your hands.   Update on the truck......still in pieces! However the cab is painted and I was really impressed with the paint job. Flawless transition between the signal flare red and Wimbledon white and there's still a second coat of clear to be laid down yet! I wasn't sure if I'd like the dash in the same color but it'll definitely...
I've used red onion in other pickling so I can say........It does!
@eastshores those are nice looking! You know that when your mouth starts to water with just the picture.     I've been buying these half sour pickles our local Martin's markets in the deli. They're not really good until I add my own mix . I've been draining them down and then combining white vinegar, salt, juniper berries, dill, mustard seed, black peppercorns, coriander and garlic with a little water and  letting them for a week or so. They really take on a whole...
I'll second @chefedb in using it as an enhancer and not as a primal stock. Even the low sodium stuff has too much salt. I've been a MINORS fan since culinary school for just that. The memory is a little fuzzy as to the exact title but I remember a guest Saucier instructor at school was the Chef Consultant for MINORS when they revamped their program in the very early 80's. Paul J. Gode was his name (sp?) if I remember correctly and they had the best product at the time....
I've got about a dozen or so really hot peppers soaking in brine right now. Been there for about 2 weeks so their just about ready to try. The kraut and pickles sound great. Gotta love pickles!
Wow! Briosci! That brings back a time close to 50 years ago in my memory. I remember the big, cobalt blue bottle my grand parents kept in the pantry. I also remember doing what @Kikina said the kids did. It was like Zott's but without all the sugar.  C'm on Pan, you never did that?
I couldn't believe it and questioned it with the manager. Something I failed to mention was he explained that it was Angus, which can account for some price variance but not to the tune of that. I did ask where the choice brisket was and he explained they didn't carry it any longer and my best bet was to try the Wal-Mart. Unfortunately, the store in our area doesn't carry the full brisket and sells a cleaned flat for $5.99 and you really need a full brisket to do it up right.
@MaryB, the Weber is a great idea but I've had the mindset to smoke this for some time now. Was just waiting for the right time to defrost.....but hitting the trip on the surge protector with the maxi rack took care of that. While I was out there maintaining things, I started thinking about the last time I smoked a whole turkey....had to be back in 1997 when we lived in Beaufort SC. A freind and the GM of a place I took an interim job at asked me if I would smoke his...
@panini   The DD and I were watching the re broadcast of the Mecum show tonight on NBC Sports. I was trying to see if the '63 crossed the block or maybe was a deal prior. No need to let any cat out, just curios and it was an excuse to watch some really sweet cars and trucks roll across the floor. Well, 3:20am is just around the corner so I'm toast.   Later.
I wasn't going to post in this one since we gave up on the herbs and small veggies due to the Vols. That and we had an unusually harsh winter and late freeze so only three items survived the damage. In all we lost a rather large lavender bush, creeping onions from Thomas Jefferson's garden and wild strawberries. The Vols contributed to the Lavender bush and the creeping onions so we didn't even bither trying to grow peppers, tomatoes, squash, cukes or any other of the...