or Connect

Posts by oldschool1982

Ditto.   I like to macerate them in a little Grand Marnier and substitute for raisins in things like rice pudding, raisin nut bread, carrot cake, etc.
 Thanks very much. That was very kind to say! I grew up that way and as an example of many "plat du jour" meals eaten here, tonight will probably be Tuna noodle casserole. As far as what you mentioned, I'd like to believe that's the case but so I don't look like too much of a marshmallow, the closer truth could be that I did it for so long in the business, it's really been my nature to be accommodating in my professional life it just filtered more so into my private life....
Things got a bit bound-up tonight on the timing with the family getting home a bit late so I wasn't able to snap any pics to share.   Anyhow, the DW and DD's sides were the same, roasted garlic mashed potatoes and a squash compote made with, seeded yellow squash Vidallia onion, diced fresh tomatoes, dill, dry sherry and a bit of sherry vinegar for tang. The DW had Blackened Sockeye Salmon and the DD had a very nicely aged (I cryovaced the meat and added 2-1/2 weeks over...
Looks and sounds great on all fronts.
ditto
@MikeLM  My grandparents had a fig tree when they lived in Roseland and from what I remember, they would hold fresh figs at room temp. They first just wiped them with a towel and loosely held them on the table in a bowl. They were rinsed just before we ate them and never held in the fridge or in a plastic bag. Mostly because Glad hadn't caught on yet. Yes, that long ago. Typically it was a paper bag.   I have to head back to my daughters swim finals now and will reply...
I haven't really figured out mesquite yet other than, like you say, for grilling or throwing in with the Kingsford on the Weber for the same. I've messed around with using it as a starter, finishing with oak and also the reverse. It's been a while so I can't remember which profile worked best or if at all mostly because I ended up getting two woods mixed and no meal we had was ever inedible.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned a Lamb or italian sausage version. Granted the Beef/veal/pork or all beef versions seem to be the norm, but imho, a good lamb/sausage Bolognese is like a slice of heaven.   FYI most of the time I don't weigh or measure the ingredients so this is a guesstimate for when I make a small batch for dinner here. We usually get 2 meals out of the sauce and that's for three.   panchetta*           2oz wt ground lamb or   2lb. wt Italian...
 @MikeLM I can definitely agree that a little goes a long way so I don't know if I would have chosen it for a turkey. The dang things are so big, even just the breast, they need to sit in the smoker that much longer. I split the chickens so I wasn't worried and with the brine I use, the brown sugar brings out the flavor of the pecan. I though of spritzing the chicken with Bourbon to recreate a Bourbon Pecan Chicken but I'm almost out of Jack and I wanted to save what I had...
Some really nice dishes served here but I have to admit that the two from @ChrisBelgium and @Pollopicu were my favorites.    The Osso Buco and Lacquered BBQ (can;t forget that cherry pie) looked very mouthwatering.   Sort of inspired me to fire up the Weber for some BBQ Chicken. I used one of the chickens I mentioned in another post.    That and baked potatoes were dinner for the other night. The standard Cajun Chicken sands were our regular Tuesday night meal (at...