or Connect

Posts by oldschool1982

@laurenlulu   For what it's worth, and having done at least a dozen and a half new openings.........   Just keep a dozen or so potatoes rotating through the oven coming out every 10 minutes from the start. Then, 30 minutes prior to the heaviest load of reservations decrease the interval to 5 minutes. That's if the potato is only offered with a few items. If it's ala carte or available with everything, just adjust. Assuming you are booked from the start, you should be...
Years ago I ran across Colorado Russets. They seemed to hold up best if they stayed on hold in the oven a bit longer than I liked and the holding drawer didn't adversely affect them. Also baked them at 450-500 and this, combined with an oiled skin made the interior of the potato fluff like nothing else and they had a fairly unique taste too.   As far as the issue you're asking about, I tend to lean toward the idea that there is a higher moisture present in potatoes...
Definitely not a clue at the moment. In years past it's all the traditional stuff; Turkey, dressing, sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, corn, green beans, mac and cheese or chicken noodles (Kluski noodles cooked in only enough chicken stock to have a thick broth remaining to coat the noodles)  biscuits, my grandmothers bread recipe, pumpkin and apple pie with a chocolate bourbon derby pie thrown in for good measure every now and then.   The last 7 years we've...
We had leftovers......Heidelberg Style meatloaf (my recipe minus the beer for the family's sake), sauerkraut, green beans and dumplings.    The meatloaf recipe is simple;   2 lbs 80/20 ground round 6 slices of rye bread cut in cubes 3/4 cup milk or 1/2&1/2* 1 Tbsp beef base 2 eggs 3/4 cup diced onion 1 Tbsp caraway seed 1 tsp ground black pepper 1 tsp salt   Combine milk and 1 tsp of beef base and stir well. Pour over bread cubes and allow to sit for a few...
Steve,   With all the shows on TV that give the common person a glimpse into the restaurant world, I can't imagine what the situation is like today with owners. It was no picnic 12 years ago so it can't be any better. Having the owners or even the GM in the Kitchen, when you were hired to perform specific duties and have responsibilities is nothing less than mind numbing.  My first reaction is to say the owners are the ones paying the bills and salaries so they have the...
after seeing the other post with the Swedish Chef, these had to be added.....           This should've been in the egg challenge too.    
Surprised no one has added this yet, even after @Koukouvagia mentioned it.           another great one......    
How about the Blancmange (3 parts)    Pt 1   Pt2   Pt 3   Or beans with Terry Gilliam on the couch    
This has been hilarious to watch unfold.
I'm a little vague on NY state since it's been 13 years since I worked there but.....there and with most states for that fact, if you are paid hourly you are considered non-exempt so if you work your 40 hours and stray so much as 5 minutes past, you are entitled to 1.5 time your normal rate for that 5 minutes and everything above. If you are salary and work past your 40 hours, for the record I don't believe I have EVER seen a salaried person be scheduled less than 50, you...