or Connect

Posts by oldschool1982

@JayCobb1045, Thanks for the point........I looked where Little River turnpike was and a trip to Alexandria is not going to work. However, the DW is headed to Baltimore this weekend so maybe I can talk her into stopping by a market near her destination. I'll need to look at what's close by so she can conduct her business without too much a delay.   I'm definitely on a mission to find the Aji Rocoto peppers and I equate this to trying to find the elusive Melrose pepper...
First off, I would try to run out of Prime rib before being faced with a reheat but like anything else, it doesn't always go as planned.   So, that in mind, and with the process of searing the whole and cooking 10 minutes per pound at 225 with a hold at 120 for 4-6 hours to start a fresh rib..........I'll go out on a limb with this suggestion.   Individual portions can be difficult to reheat and still retain the color/temp. However, something that worked fairly well...
This is a great thread and I've really enjoyed reading through it.   It's been over 10 years since I stepped into my own kitchen for a career and I believe much has changed, then again, much hasn't. It's difficult to answer things in the "now" but as an answer for the "then".......I started out cooking to my please my ego or what new trend seemed to be in place. Yet I was also stuck in the mud with what I had originally learned.    Somewhere down the road from that...
 Vic, great job! I have to admit there was a plan to try this dish after I found it a couple weeks ago, but after unsuccessfully being able to locate the peppers, I gave up. I ended up using the more readily available Poblano for the meal last week and since that was already used in the last challenge and would be more Mexican/Tex-Mex than South American, I didn't post any picks. It would be great to know where these can be found in the Virginia area....and hopefully won't...
Carbonara   Rosa (marinara, white wine, fresh basil, cream,)   Diavolo (I like two versions....one basically the arrabiatta already mentioned and the other uses hot, seeded cherry peppers fried in olive oil with a marinara)   Marsala cream (crisped prosciutto ham, Marsala wine reduction (50%), heavy cream, fresh rosemary and Reggiano)   Cilantro-pecan pesto. Make the same as you would any other pesto only sub cilantro for basil and pecans for...
South America? That's quite a good choice. But don't be too surprised if you see many things that cross with other cultures from Europe. I've heard on several occasions of talk that some of my Calabrese relatives settled in South America. Take Argentina for example; from what I understand, during the height of the migratory waves leaving Europe, approx 6.7 million immigrants entered here, second only to the United States with close to 27 million. There are some great...
 KK, Thanks! The DD chose a line from Pottery Barn called "Great White". It doesn't have "oven safe" printed on the bottom but the oven was not in full heat mode. The oven is the GE Profile Dbl Convection and always use the broiler or convection roast setting. The plate is also positioned on one of the lower rack positions. We've had the plates for 8 years now with no "accidents" and I figure the sanitize setting of our dishwasher heats the plate to a higher temp so there...
JP, Thanks for the kind words! I mention the trick I learned about the Boiled dinner. It's to keep some of the cooking liquid from each use. I store it in the freezer and that way you don't start with plain water! The meat doesn't become over bland and the veggies pick up the flavor much easier.   I have to say I did enjoy the "Boiled beef and carrots". Reminded me of the my favorite selection involving food put to song....just think of Vikings and spam!
If I remember this correctly, I would have believed this to be from fore or hind leg femur just above the knee joint to about 5-6 inches up. This would give two cuts before getting into the shoulder or rump. I say this because, the cuts I am most familiar with are typically 3 to 4 inches in diameter and have four distinct muscles surrounding the bone.   Now, at the grocery store I have seen smaller in recent years but thought that to be more maximizing the profit by...
 Thanks. That means a bunch coming from someone on the other side of the pond! I've come to respect and consider the boiled dinner, whether it be English, Irish, Italian or any other to be one of the simpler, almost lost pleasures in life. Ya just can't beat the idea if it's done like your grandmother did it and shouldn't be one you monkey with. Quaker instant grits!! Ummmerrrruhhhhhh.........I'm a "Damn Yankee" (that's a Northerner who moved South and stayed) and I know...