or Connect

Posts by Dominique

Poached pears, perhaps? I don't think most wines are vegan, but I've poached them in grape juice before and it works.  Also, apple sauce can be used to replace oil in some things like cakes. 
white flour will do fine at room temperature and not really start losing its nutritional value for several months. I keep my whole wheat flour in the walk-in as it is much higher in oil content and I don't use it fast enough that I don't worry about that oil going rancid.
I rarely have make up on when I go to work-- when I was younger I did my make up every morning before work, but once I hit my 30's, I just didn't care so much. I do use a sunscreen facial moisterizer every day though. Once in a while I'll have eyebrow pencil and mascara on, usually if I'm expecting to be trotted out in front of the guests for some reason like a special dinner.
I guess it would depend on the recipe, but I work in a tiny restaurant and have almost no walk-in space, but they could spare me lots of freezer space so I freeze my extra icing every night. Seems fine as long as I don't try to heat it up too quickly. I usually just pull it out at the beginning of the night I need it, and then later soften it up over a double-boiler (stirring constantly) and then putting it back on the mixer for a few minutes. :)
I've been doing a lot of vegan cooking lately and not had too much trouble with substituting butter with margarine.. just be sure to check the trans-fat levels.. the harder the margarine at room temp, the worse it is for you.. I've been using Earth Balance and it's been working great.   And instead of replacing the oil with applesauce I'd go with one of the less unhealthy oils that can withstand heat (studies are showing some oils become toxic at high temperatures)....
That is just gorgeous! :)
I wouldn't assume the hotel pays more. Definitely give the bakery a chance. As far as where you'd learn more, I would usually lean towards a hotel if they have an actual pastry shop and staff.. but if they're pulling a lot of stuff out of boxes, it may not be as helpful-- see if they plan on expanding. Is there someone there you can learn from or are you left to figure stuff out? Since you know what to expect at the hotel it sounds like, if it were me, I'd talk to the...
So after 20+ years of pastries, I'm doing something new and working in a vegan restaurant. I've been there for about 6 months, and learning a lot about baking without dairy, without eggs, etc.... pretty cool, actually. But there is also a high request for gluten-free products among this clientele... I've managed to come up with a few neat things, but one thing we're having problems with is the bread... sometimes we get huge air pockets even though we're doing things...
I think it depends on what part of the country you're job searching in as to how the job market is? Same with pay scale. As a grad, many people come out of school expecting to make a lot of money and are pretty disheartened when they find they have to start at a lower pay scale just like many people who didn't go to school.   My personal experience with many (NOT ALL!) graduates has been that they're hard to train and hard to work with because they believe the way...
I've had good luck with cream cheese icing being easy to work with and piping-friendly by basically making a buttercream and adding enough lemon juice and cream cheese to make it taste like a cream cheese icing. I'm currently in a vegan restaurant so can't use butter (or even real cream cheese!) but my current recipe is 2 lbs of powdered sugar, 1 lb of fat (10 oz shortening and 6 oz margarine), some vanilla and lemon juice and a pinch of salt, and when it's smooth and...