Pros: excelent photography, useful wide ranging recipes
Cons: print face is small and can be diffitult to read
- In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, scald the milk with the sugar, butter, and salt whisking occasionally (until the sugar and salt dissolve, and the butter melts). Remove from the heat and allow to cool just until warm (about 115 F - any hotter and you might kill the yeast or scramble the eggs in step 2)
- Add the yeast and let stand until the mixture foams, about 5 minutes. The foam means your yeast is alive and ready to go. Add the egg whites and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and xanthan gum. Add to the milk mixture in the saucepan, and stir until well mixed.
- Transfer the dough to a greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pan, cover, and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Bake for 40 minutes. When done baking, allow to cool in the loaf pan for about 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.