or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Beware of Canola Oil
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beware of Canola Oil - Page 2

post #31 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFart View Post
FDA = Food and Drug Admin

 

lol...supposed to test for food safety as well... I thought

 

GMO is not a drug. I agree, but it is a genetically modified product, and that hasn't been tested...that I know of, except by Monsanto, which of course, states that the rats that ate GMO's and had weight gain and adverse health risks were nothing to worry about...

 

The separation of drugs and food is a critical one. Giving people an experimental drug is mostly unethical. You get volunteers for testing because the drug testing to date indicates a worthwhile improvement even with side-effects considered for people who are ill. It's the opportunity for improvement that makes human testing ethical. You also know the desired outcomes and can measure for them.

 

For food, you have no ethical basis for attracting volunteers. You have no limited range of possible effects. There is no way to control for variables in the same way. And you're not adding a chemical to the diet. You totally skipped over the part of the chemical analysis and the comparison to the original. That's how we know the safety for the values of safe as currently understood. 

 

Again, what are you testing GMO food for? The chemical makeup is safe. They're not adding new unknown chemicals to the food product. 

Palace of the Brine -- "I hear the droning in the shrine of the sea monkeys." Saltair
Reply
Palace of the Brine -- "I hear the droning in the shrine of the sea monkeys." Saltair
Reply
post #32 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatch View Post

 

For food, you have no ethical basis for attracting volunteers. You have no limited range of possible effects. There is no way to control for variables in the same way. And you're not adding a chemical to the diet. You totally skipped over the part of the chemical analysis and the comparison to the original. That's how we know the safety for the values of safe as currently understood. 

Beyond chemical analysis, GMO-food testing is often done on animals such as rats or chicken. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatch View Post

 

Again, what are you testing GMO food for? The chemical makeup is safe. They're not adding new unknown chemicals to the food product. 

In animal testing, GMOs are tested for possible side effects on the animal's internal organs and immune system. 

 

See: http://responsibletechnology.org/gmo-dangers/65-health-risks

post #33 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatch View Post
 

 

The separation of drugs and food is a critical one. Giving people an experimental drug is mostly unethical. You get volunteers for testing because the drug testing to date indicates a worthwhile improvement even with side-effects considered for people who are ill. It's the opportunity for improvement that makes human testing ethical. You also know the desired outcomes and can measure for them.

 

For food, you have no ethical basis for attracting volunteers. You have no limited range of possible effects. There is no way to control for variables in the same way. And you're not adding a chemical to the diet. You totally skipped over the part of the chemical analysis and the comparison to the original. That's how we know the safety for the values of safe as currently understood. 

 

Again, what are you testing GMO food for? The chemical makeup is safe. They're not adding new unknown chemicals to the food product. 

The test experimental drugs on people all of the time. It's called phase 3 trials.

 

Chemically, the GMO food might be okay, the modified DNA on the other hand is probably not safe:

 

According to Judy Carman, Ph.D., very little safety testing is done on genetically modified foods, and when it is done, biotechnology companies conduct minimal testing. Dr. Carmen says that more extensive testing of GM foods is needed to ensure they are safe. Her recommendations seem prophetic in light of a recent Austrian government study that found reduced fertility in mice-fed GM corn.

post #34 of 51

I don't think it matters anymore. If you watched the video, the chemist explains that if you've eaten any GMO foods, your DNA is already changed....we'll all be zombies one day...lol

 

@phatch

post #35 of 51

http://www.heritageradionetwork.org/episodes/8154-Cooking-Issues-Episode-208-Memorial-Day-Mishaps-Turkish-Cheese

 

Yesterdays episode of Cooking Issues has one of the better takes on these sort of issues I have heard in a while.  Starts around 30 min mark.

post #36 of 51

This study was slammed on several levels at the time(mainly an attempt to squash it by Monsanto) but they have since admitted it is telling and further study is needed with a different rat breed. http://www.businessinsider.com/monsantos-roundup-and-resistant-corn-found-to-be-toxic-2012-9

post #37 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFart View Post
 

 

In the 1970′s, food manufacturers came up with a method to genetically modify the rapeseed plant by seed splitting. This process produced a canola oil with less erucic acid, and higher amounts of oleic acid, which lead to additional concerns with canola oil, like:

  • Blood platelet abnormalities
  • Retards normal growth (why it’s illegal to use in infant formulas)
  • Free radical damage
  • Higher cancer risks due to the hydrogenation process

It’s also important to understand that this new processed oil goes through many steps, most of which harm the nutritional value and actually change the oil’s structure, causing it to become hydrogenated oil.

Please avoid any and all foods that contain High amounts of Oleic acid IMMEDIATELY!!

these include:

Olive oil... real real bad!!

Pecan oil

Peanut oil

macademia oil

sunflower oil

grape seed oil

sesame seed oil

chicken and turkey fat

and lard!!

(oleic acid is a fatty acid first isolated from olive oil from which the name is derived)

 

This oil is even worst then all other because it has OMEGA-3s!!!!! big killer.

 

Canola oil comes from the contraction of the words Canada and oil.  Rapeseed is a weed that produces a high amount of oil per seed tonnage but not safe for human consumption. Using Genetic manipulation (Voodoo), the rapeseed was tamed to a non-toxic oil called Canola.  This plant requires little fertilizer and water because is grows like a weed. The Canadian government which had a patent has not reinforced the rights to the patent in the hopes to help third-world countries which depend on process oil for cooking.

pffft it's actually a genocide plot to rid the world of the poor, overrun farm land with super weeds and also they have unleashed this biochemical weapon upon the USA in order to dominate the world!!! MOOO HAHA!!!

 

@OldFart are you messing with this community?  I would suggest that you also avoid dihydroxyl monoxide AKA oxidane.

 

Granted GMOs are controversial and there are well studied references that do point out certain concerns but what you have brought to the discussion is simply fearmongering. 

 

Luc H.


Edited by Luc_H - 5/27/15 at 3:12pm
I eat science everyday, do you?
Reply
I eat science everyday, do you?
Reply
post #38 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc_H View Post
 

Please avoid any and all foods that contain High amounts of Oleic acid IMMEDIATELY!!

these include:

Olive oil... real real bad!!

Pecan oil

Peanut oil

macademia oil

sunflower oil

grape seed oil

sesame seed oil

chicken and turkey fat

and lard!!

(oleic acid is a fatty acid first isolated from olive oil from which the name is derived)

 

This oil is even worst then all other because it has OMEGA-3s!!!!! big killer.

 

Canola oil comes from the contraction of the words Canada and oil.  Rapeseed is a weed that produces a high amount of oil per seed tonnage but not safe for human consumption. Using Genetic manipulation (Voodoo), the rapeseed was tamed to a non-toxic oil called Canola.  This plant requires little fertilizer and water because is grows like a weed. The Canadian government which had a patent has not reinforced the rights to the patent in the hopes to help third-world countries which depend on process oil for cooking.

pffft it's actually a genocide plot to rid the world of the poor, overrun farm land with super weeds and also they have unleashed this biochemical weapon upon the USA in order to dominate the world!!! MOOO HAHA!!!

 

@OldFart are you messing with this community?  I would suggest that you also avoid dihydroxyl monoxide AKA oxidane.

 

Granted GMOs are controversial and there are well studied references that do point out certain concerns but what you have brought to the discussion is simply fearmongering. 

 

Luc H.

Oleic acid injection produces acute lung injury and pulmonary hypertension in adult animals. In other types of acute lung injury, such as that caused by Escherichia coli endotoxin, metabolites of arachidonic acid are important mediators of pulmonary hypertension. Oleic acid /was injected/ into awake, chronically instrumented newborn lambs. The hemodynamic response of lambs to injection of oleic acid alone was compared to their response after pretreatment with either FPL57231, a putative leukotriene receptor antagonist, or indomethacin, a cyclooxygenase synthesis inhibitor. Oleic acid caused acute pulmonary hypertension associated with an increase in protein-rich lung lymph fluid. Systemic hemodynamic effects were variable. FPL57231 completely blocked the oleic acid induced pulmonary hypertension while indomethacin significantly attenuated the response. Therefore, metabolites of arachidonic acid metabolism appear to be important mediators of oleic acid induced pulmonary hypertension in newborn lambs.
 
Schreiber MD, Soifer SJ; J Dev Physiol 16 (3): 167-72 (1991)
 
Let's all go outside and start munching on weeds....gotta get that daily dose of Oleic acid
post #39 of 51

From ehow website:

Claims of several human health side effects from canola oil are loss of vision, disruption of the central nervous system, respiratory illness, anemia, constipation, increased incidence of heart disease and cancer, low birth weights in infants and irritability. Many of these have not appeared in medical journals, and long-term research has not been done to substiantiate or refute the claims

As an industrial oil, it is used as a lubricant, as biodiesel fuel, in soap, in colored printing processes, and to make synthetic rubber. Before canola, Canadian rapeseed was mainly grown to produce lubricating products for ships. All vegetable oils can be used for these purposes.


Studies have conclusively shown that canola depletes vitamin E, which is necessary for life. The most well-known studies were done by Canadian researchers in 1997 and involved piglets fed milk replacer containing canola and fortified with vitamin E. Their vitamin E levels dropped dangerously low. Part of the test included piglets on milk replacer with soy oil and fortified with vitamin E, and their levels did not drop.

In 1998, the same research group reported problems in platelet count and platelet size in piglets on canola-based feed.


Rapeseed oil used in China for stir-frying produced highly carcinogenic smoke. According to The Wall Street Journal on June 7, 1995, an increased incidence of lung cancer occurs in people who breathe the smoke.

From 1986 until 1991, rapeseed was used in animal feed in England and Europe; its use was halted in 1991 when studies indicated health problems directly related to it. Problems subsided when it was no longer used.

post #40 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFart View Post
 
Oleic acid injection produces acute lung injury and pulmonary hypertension in adult animals.....
 
Let's all go outside and start munching on weeds....gotta get that daily dose of Oleic acid

well this study looks into inflammation induced by injecting oleic acid is the lung.  The purpose is not to find out that oleic acid is toxic but to understand the inflammation metabolism pathway.

It's like saying eating peanut butter is toxic because if you inject peanut butter into your lungs it caused inflammation.

 

You should have sarcastically said, let's go outside and start injecting weeds, instead.

You are missing scientific insight or intentionally misleading the community here.

 

Luc H.

I eat science everyday, do you?
Reply
I eat science everyday, do you?
Reply
post #41 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc_H View Post

 

You are missing scientific insight or intentionally misleading the community here.

 

Luc H.

You haven't put up anything "scientific" yet...lol

 

At least AllanMcPherson put up a link.

post #42 of 51

It's easy finding alternate counter arguments:

Snopes say it's a myth.  I happen to think this website is reliable.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/canola.asp 

 

The Mayo clinic thinks it's safe (maybe they don't know what they are talking about because they can't read scientific litterature)

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/canola-oil/faq-20058235

 

Prevention magazine

http://www.prevention.com/food/canola-oil-safe

 

Nutrition authority

http://authoritynutrition.com/canola-oil-good-or-bad/

 

Eating well

http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/nutrition_news_information/how_healthy_is_canola_oil_really

 

these are 5 websites out of 10 that come up when searching: toxicity of canola oil using Google.

 

also Dr. Weil would never eat something that was as toxic as you say it is ovbiously

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400093/Choosing-Canola-Oil.html

 

although far from being an authority in my mind, Dr Oz has not sounded the alarm yet on canola oil.... actually he think it's healthy.

 

I also know how to be selective in finding references....

 

@OldFart stop reading those paranoid chain e-mails and Facebook conspiracy messages

 

Luc H.

I eat science everyday, do you?
Reply
I eat science everyday, do you?
Reply
post #43 of 51

@Luc_H

 

Obviously, canola oil is like global warming. There's scientists on both sides of the argument. I'll stay away from canola oil until there is a definite study done on it.

 

We can go back and forth until the dogs come home, but you like it, I don't. Plain and simple.

 

Let's end this discussion before it gets out of hand. We'll just agree to disagree?

post #44 of 51

Just for the record, the link I provided wasn't for any  scientific findings but rather a conversation regarding GMOs.  The gist is that the host finds that people have a hard time unpacking the difference between being paranoid about a benign technology and being critical of the business practices of companies that profit from them.  In other words disliking Monsanto for what they sell verses how they sell it.

post #45 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFart View Post
 

@Luc_H

 

Obviously, canola oil is like global warming. There's scientists on both sides of the argument. I'll stay away from canola oil until there is a definite study done on it.

 

We can go back and forth until the dogs come home, but you like it, I don't. Plain and simple.

 

Let's end this discussion before it gets out of hand. We'll just agree to disagree?


Honestly, I am not ready to let this one go but I will after this post in respect of the community because a cascade of scientific argument and counter argument is not what this website is about.

Canola oil and global warming share one thing, there's a titanic load of evidence on one side that squashes the ant amount of the other yet some still insist it's an even toss of a coin.

 

For the record, whether I like canola oil or not is not issue, it's spreading exaggerated fearful facts that I dislike.  Like some in the community, we have some scientific insight that we can bring to the table so that individuals can make an informed decision on what is posted.

 

I believe that the underlying reason why canola oil has such a bad rap is because the original plant has the word rape in it which is actually pronounced rap-seed not rape-seed.

 

The cows have come home. I agree to disagree. (no more post on this subject)

 

Luc H.

I eat science everyday, do you?
Reply
I eat science everyday, do you?
Reply
post #46 of 51

Still ignoring the fact it is highly processed with chemicals to produce it and traces of said chemicals can be found in the oil. Pass, extra virgin olive oil is simply pressed and filtered. No chemicals involved. Good butter is simply made from cream and salt...

 

So eat your chemical factory oil, I will eat my natural fats!

post #47 of 51

A product being processed is no indicator if it is dangerous or not.  Its not ignoring the process but honestly evaluating its relative value to risk of danger.  If you are not comfortable with Canola as a product, fine.  But to argue that it is inherently dangerous because..chemicals...is kinda wonky thinking.

post #48 of 51
post #49 of 51

"Canola oil is made at a processing facility by slightly heating and then crushing the seed. Almost all commercial canola oil is then refined using hexane. Finally, the crude oil is refined using water precipitation and acid, "bleaching" with clay, and deodorizing using steam distillation.[22] About 43% of a seed is oil;[23] the remainder is a rapeseed meal that is used as animal feed. About 23 kg (51 lb) of rapeseed makes 10 L (2.64 US gal) of canola oil. Canola oil is a key ingredient in many foods."

 

Hexane, acids, a lot of processing... PASS!

post #50 of 51

Says the guy who " bumped" a ten year old thread.

Canada Oil.

My dietician recommends Canola, I agree not to argue with her haha.

@MaryB
As long as were throwing out random quotes
I'll play;

n-Hexane is also used as a solvent in the extraction of oil from seeds (soybean, cottonseed, flaxseed, safflower seed, and others). It is sometimes used as a denaturant for alcohol, and as a cleaning agent in the textile, furniture, and leather industries. It is slowly being replaced with other less toxic solvents.[12]

- Problem solved.
post #51 of 51
The last thing I want in food is acids!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Cooking
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Beware of Canola Oil