As part of our homework we have to fulfill 12 hours of independent study in each section. In this section of the course we're trying to find out what fields interest the most and why. We are then supposed to research said fields and eventually set-up interviews with chefs in those fields. The idea is to eventually narrow it down to one particular specialty.
Local, real world interviews are mandatory and I already plan to get those done as soon as possible. But I figured this would be a good source for feedback as well. I'm really hoping to get something out of this research seeing how I'm an aspiring Chef in the midst of a major career change (currently a mortgage broker).
The four fields I have chosen are: The "Chic" Chef, The Restaurant Chef, The Personal Chef, and The Pastry Chef.
If you are –or- have been in one of those four fields I'd greatly appreciate your feedback within the thread or via PM.
1) How did your career as a (insert specific field) Chef unfold?
2) Why did you choose your particular specialty?
3) Do you enjoy your job? Why or why not?
4) What have you done right that has made your career/restaurant (etc) such a success?
5) Tell me about where you work?
6) Who were the biggest inspirations for your career?
7) What are some of the skills that have helped you succeed?
8) What advice do you have for a graduating culinary art student?
9) What do you look for in a potential employee?
10) What do you enjoy most about being a chef?
Thank you so much for your time. I'll be checking the forum frequently.