Related Forum Threads
- Duckhorn Wine Dinner Last post on 2/11/10 at 11:36am in Professional Chefs
- Italian sausage is pink inside ..... Last post on 10/5/09 at 5:57am in Food & Cooking
- What exactly is wine butter? Last post on 9/26/09 at 8:45am in Food & Cooking
- basic red wine steak sauce? Last post on 9/16/09 at 3:19pm in Recipes
- White wine substitute Last post on 12/22/10 at 5:34am in Food & Cooking
Last edited: 2/16/10
- The Wines Of SpainLast edited: 2/16/10
- Sherry WinesLast edited: 2/16/10
- Duck In Place Of ChickenLast edited: 2/28/10
- Rum The Beverage With A Spirited HistoryLast edited: 2/16/10
Works perfectly as intended. Do not buy this for chefs ninja stars, it doesnt work at all. It does handle high heat however as it landed in a fryer
Honestly for something to measure oven temps shouldnt shatter like mine have, but for the price what can i expect. Perfectly accurate, place in a steel steam table pan to prevent glass from going...
It's much more than a collection of recipes. In this book Kenji explains cooking techniques and the science behind them. Also ingredients and how to find them, how to use them. For many...
I had an overall positive experience at Le Cordon Bleu-Mexico. Their courses are really hands-on and you are always spending time in the kitchen and showing off your skills and your learning...
For a person who was too busy to cook and ate only at fast foods...it was worth the effort to really appreciate food and cooking by enrolling in the Le Cordon Bleu and graduating in 1982. I...
marsala winepost #1 of 108/28/06 at 12:25pmThread Starterpost #2 of 108/28/06 at 3:10pmpost #3 of 108/28/06 at 8:35pmNew wife,
Marsala wines, in general are much like a good sherry. Loaded with alcohol (they are fortified wines) they ofter add a bit of sweetness to dishes that use them in the recipe, once you have burned off all that alcohol.
Another good option, thought not to style would be to use a Pinot Noir from California. They also tend to add some sweetness to dishes cooked with them and can be found for 5 to 7 dollars all along the West Coast. If that doesn't fit your budget then there is always Charles Shaw wines, at around 2 dollars a bottle.
Best of luck to you!post #4 of 108/29/06 at 9:07amYou should be able to find inexpensive marsala, madiera, or sherry at most grocery stores and any of those would work fine. Another option could be half brandy/half water. Yet another option, avoiding alcohol altogether would be to use chicken stock.Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.post #5 of 108/31/06 at 7:09pmpost #6 of 109/1/06 at 3:58pmpost #7 of 109/1/06 at 6:50pmDon't know where you reside, but if in the US look for a Trader Joe's. They have a good Marsala for about five dollars. Any wine store will also, but probably for 2 to 3 times more. Probably good markets will stock it also. I buy it all the time for cooking. Because it is fortified, it will keep a long time like a Port, Vermouth, etc.
You can find lots of dishes to use it in.
Mikepost #8 of 1012/10/06 at 8:19ampost #9 of 109/18/15 at 7:50pm
I have the same question you do. What can I substitute for wine in a recipe when I don't drink wine? I get a headache from the sulfites, from chocolate, from cheese, and from MSG.
So I don't want another wine, just something to better the taste. Up until now, I just skip recipes that call for wine.
Please, doesn't anyone have a suggestion?
- marsala wine
- The Wines Of Spain
- › just looking for a wa gyuto laser # 2 blue 210-240mm 15 minutes ago
- › Rookie At the Bar 27 minutes ago
- › Sous Vide re-heating question 32 minutes ago
- › What did you have for dinner? 1 hour, 4 minutes ago
- › Examination on School 1 hour, 39 minutes ago
- › Is this mold? Found black stuff on frozen potato latkes :( 2 hours, 8 minutes ago
- › Slow roasting turkey... time and temperature? 2 hours, 13 minutes ago
- › Parting out duck 2 hours, 34 minutes ago
- › Cooking at home for profit 3 hours, 54 minutes ago
- › kaffir lime, oh so hard to get, let alone store 4 hours, 44 minutes ago
- › #22 *TWO PACK* Replacement Knife Blade for Meat Grinder. Hobart,... by Markrmoore2
- › Rubbermaid Commercial FGTHO550 Stainless Steel Oven Monitoring... by Markrmoore2
- › The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science by MillionsKnives
- › Le Cordon Bleu Mexico by Maria1233
- › Le Cordon Bleu USA by karenlhall
- › The International Culinary Center - New York by Chef-Nicholas
- › Professional Cooking by motty
- › Ecole Nationale Supérieure de Pâtisserie by FollowUrHeart
- › The Art Institute of California - San Francisco by stevenvhayden
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by MichaelJKane
- › Brussels Sprouts with Pecans and Dried...
- › Cranberry Old Fashioned
- › Holiday Sangria
- › Turkey and Sweet Potato Hash-Thanksgiving...
- › Spicy Sweet Potato Gratin
- › Roasted Beets with Garlic and Onions
- › Pumpking Cranberry Coffeecake
- › Hot Chocolate for the Family
- › Curried Squash Soup
- › Tomato Braised Cauliflower Curry