There has been some good points made on this thread. I'd like to add a few thoughts if I may. Their was a comment about Krug & Screaming Eagle and a cat:) I must disagree with that assessment because of the strict laws that govern quality, the AOC is an example, and strict appellations laws in lets say California. With that said, the value of a wine is determined in many ways, supply and demand,critical reviews,pedigree and providence just to name a few.If you are willing to spend $200 on a bottle of wine, then in theory it is worth it to (you). Also, it is very important to consider what context you are drinking the wine. Are you sitting with professionals analyzing the wine, you know, body and fullness, fruit, sweetness, acid, tannins, ageworthyness, or are you enjoying the wine with food? The latter to me is more important to me because this is how I drink 90 % of my wine. I am careful to prepare foods that work in harmony with the wine as to highlight the best of both.Poor food and wine pairing, no matter if the wine is amazing and the food stellar will still make your experience a poor one.In the world today over 90% of wine is designed to be consumed upon release, the other 8/10% for cellaring. That 8/10% is purchased by only about 1% of buyers.I have had many wines over the years that have been very, very expensive, and for the most part have shown extremely well with a few exceptions of corked or poorly cellared wines.For me, I tend to drink those wines on special occasions with my wife and close friends who appreciate that level of refinement. I believe you should drink the wines you enjoy, not the wines that people tell you, you (should) enjoy.If you keep a few simple guild lines in place, it really doesn't matter if your drinking a $20 bottle or a $200 bottle.
Baruch ben Rueven / Chanaבראד, ילד של ריימונד והאלאן