Hello :D Wow, you have been to Magnolia and Sprinkles... I live in England so it's no chance for me sadly x'D
I love baking cupcakes from scratch and not from boxes (personal preference)
I have two favourite recipes to share with you:
200g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp cocoa powder
200g caster sugar
1/2 tsp salt (I always leave this out, who needs extra salt intake?)
100g butter, softened
3 eggs (Doesn't matter whether it is large or medium)
150 ml milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp greek yoghurt (When I do not have this on hand I replace it with a tbsp of butter)
1. Preheat oven at 160 - 180 degrees (I do it at 150 degrees, have no idea why, I am just crazy)
2. Sieve together flour + baking powder + cocoa powder + sugar + optional salt into a large mixing bowl to remove any lumps
3. Cream in the butter to make a very dry looking mixture that resembles breadcrumbs
4. In another bowl whisk the eggs, milk and extract until pale and awesome looking
5. Add to the dry mixture and plop in the yoghurt
6. Mix (but do not overmix lumps ARE GOOD in this recipe)
7. Fill cupcake liners really full I mean literally nearly full, as with this recipe when filled kinda high they poof and make a round dome
8. Bake for around 18 minutes (check on them at 15 minutes)
N.B: They make around 16 - 24 depending on how much you put into the cases
I add chocolate chunks to it as somehow it helps to make it bake nicer.
White fluffy cupcakes
- 1 and 1/2 cups Cake flour (if you don't have any cake flour use 1 and a 1/2 cups plain flour and replace three tablespoons of it with three tablespoons of cornflour and sift well)
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 fine salt
- 2 Egg whites + 1/8 tsp Cream of tartar (I do not have any cream of tartar available where I live so I use a 1/8 tsp of lemon juice)
- 3/4 cup White granulated sugar
- 6 tbps of butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or any awesome extract you wish
1. Beat sugar and butter together for five minutes (the beating of the two pushes the sugar granules into the butter making small air bubbles which expand while baking making your cake light).
2. Add vanilla to give it a beautiful fragrance.
3. Sift the baking powder and cake flour together in a separate bowl.
4. Add the milk and flour+baking powder alternating so that you start and end with adding the flour mixture.
5. Whisk the egg whites with the cream of tartar and the salt until stiff peaks (but do not overbeat)
6. Add to the mix and fold in egg whites.
7. Fill cases around 3/4 full and bake at 160 - 180 degrees (I bake at 160 so that they cook slowly and they have time to rise)
8. They take around 17 minutes to bake and do not overbake.
N.B: They make around 12 - 15 cupcakes
This is a delicious recipe which creates really moist white cakes.
I am really sorry for rambling a lot in these posts but I love to help people find a great recipe :D I hope that one day you will try these and they will turn out as good as I hope ^_^
Thanks for reading, Minty